Phuket receives big budget for CCTV cameras

webfact

Phuket receives big budget for CCTV cameras
Phuket Gazette

cctv.jpeg
The governor hopes that the installation of new cameras will help reduce the crime rate. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The Department of Tourism has approved a 117-million-baht budget for Phuket to set up 120 new CCTV cameras throughout the island.

Under the campaign 'Phuket, a peaceful city', the installation of the cameras aims to boost island security, as well as to assure the safety of locals and tourists, confirmed Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-receives-big-budget-CCTV-cameras/62329?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-12

So a little over 1 million baht per camera.

Hmmm.

That price does also include 120 big screen monitors of course, one for each of the cameras (maybe), lots of cabling everywhere (unless they go wireless), and then of course you need a big new room to put them all in (so maybe that extension to the Police HQ is on the cards), and additional staff to watch them all, then you'll need some training for the staff, and nice comfortable chairs for them to sit on ... the list goes on ... sounds expensive tho lol

Hmmm.

That price does also include 120 big screen monitors of course, one for each of the cameras (maybe), lots of cabling everywhere (unless they go wireless), and then of course you need a big new room to put them all in (so maybe that extension to the Police HQ is on the cards), and additional staff to watch them all, then you'll need some training for the staff, and nice comfortable chairs for them to sit on ... the list goes on ... sounds expensive tho lol

I have top of the line Sanyo HD cameras which cost 22k baht each which are on par with airport security cameras. Not sure that much cabling is involved as they will probably be ip cameras for that sort of money.

No need to explain where the money really goes.

Hmmm.

I have top of the line Sanyo HD cameras which cost 22k baht each which are on par with airport security cameras. Not sure that much cabling is involved as they will probably be ip cameras for that sort of money.

Unwarranted cynicism ...........

Public CCTV surveillance systems are expensive to install , staff and maintain!

Unlike some I can evidence my claim.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/community/community-news/town-centre-cctv-axe-is-madness-1-5619538

Hmmm.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/community/community-news/town-centre-cctv-axe-is-madness-1-5619538

Maintain. Lol good one. Almost had me.

Half won't work within a few months.

Hmmm.

So, it cost Blackpool 1,500,000 GBP (81,711,603.45 THB), whilst Phuket's is costing 117,000,000.00 THB (2,146,879.80 GBP) ... why is Phuket's so much more expensive then considering labor, material, equipment etc costs are much cheaper here?

Maintain. Lol good one. Almost had me.

Half won't work within a few months.

And the other half they don't install.

Follow the flow of the speed cams.............555

Edited by schlog

It's a well documented fact that a large % is siphoned off for back handers at every stage of the purchase, installation, and maintenance of any gov project. My wife commented on a Thai report about these percentages, I cannot quite remember the numbers in that Thai report, but we are talking more than 50% of the total budget price.

It's a well documented fact that a large % is siphoned off for back handers at every stage of the purchase, installation, and maintenance of any gov project. My wife commented on a Thai report about these percentages, I cannot quite remember the numbers in that Thai report, but we are talking more than 50% of the total budget price.

"Well" documented fact ?

Links to the "Well documented evidence" please

Remember a few years ago they set up a similar scheme, and that the public would have internet access to all of the cameras? It all sounded great until "they" realized "they" would have an additional ??? number of eyes watching and recording all of the BS "they" might want to cover up. The internet thing never happened, and as mentioned above, many of those cameras don't work now and they didn't work any time something fishy was going on either.

Hmmm.

Actually the cameras will only represent around 10-15% of the cost. The largest cost is infrastructure, camera poles, lighting, power, cabling, trenching, etc. Then there is network to get video to central control, switches, routers, wireless links, etc. Then there is recording & storage of video, user access, display systems, evidence export and video management software, all which require servers, equipment racks, client workstations, video walls, etc.