METV from London Embassy

If needed more proof that the all thing is a scam:They said in the press release, the new METV was to "promote tourism from ASEAN", but it's not much easier for a Chinese to get one.

http://www.thaishanghai.com/upload/downloads/PDF%20file/2015.11.12%20Multiple%20Entry.pdf

Multiple Entry Documents Required

1. Passport or travel documents with validity of not less than 6 months and its copy

2. Two visa application forms completely filled out

3. Two recent photographs of the applicant (2 inches)

4. Valid permanent residence / residence permit of the People’s Republic of China

5. Current bank statement with minimum balance of 50,000 RMB (at least from the last 6 months)

6. Guarantee Letter (in English or Thai) from the applicant’s local guarantor, indicating the applicant’s name, purpose and period of the stay in Thailand and guaranteeing that the applicant will come back to China as scheduled.

6.1 For Company Employee: a guarantee letter from the applicant’s employer (the company the applicant works for)

6.2 For Self-Employed Applicant: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station.

6.3 For Student: a guarantee letter issued by the school or academic institution is required

6.4 For the Unemployed and the Retire: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station

7. Evidence of air ticket reservation to Thailand (first entry) 8. Evidence of accommodation reservation in Thailand (first entry)

First off, the requirements aren't all that difficult and are in line with requirements for a Schengen visa.

Now I doubt this visa will bring in loads of new tourists into the country and I doubt the powers that be actually believe that.

Supporting could also mean making it easier for certain types of tourist to consider Thailand as their travel hub. And this visa certainly does. As many entries as you can make during the validity of the visa. A flexibility that the previous double and triple entries didn't offer.

Let's be honest here, the number of Tourists that previous needed double and tripe TV's was already very tiny. And for most of them, this visa offers more flexibility against a slightly higher price. And depending on their travel itinerary, this visa could actually work out cheaper as a triple (no re-entry permits needed, and a border run instead of an extension if those work out cheaper).

In any case the vast majority of Tourists in Thailand are already well served with visa on arrival, visa exempt, ability to extend and SETV.

Not that difficult?

According to the Chinese labor department the average Chinese salary is $4.755 per year. it means that an average Chinese must save 2 years of salary to have the required amount.

http://qz.com/170363/the-average-chinese-private-sector-worker-earns-about-the-same-as-a-cleaner-in-thailand/

• Like 1

If needed more proof that the all thing is a scam:They said in the press release, the new METV was to "promote tourism from ASEAN", but it's not much easier for a Chinese to get one.

http://www.thaishanghai.com/upload/downloads/PDF%20file/2015.11.12%20Multiple%20Entry.pdf

1. Passport or travel documents with validity of not less than 6 months and its copy

4. Valid permanent residence / residence permit of the People’s Republic of China

5. Current bank statement with minimum balance of 50,000 RMB (at least from the last 6 months)

6. Guarantee Letter (in English or Thai) from the applicant’s local guarantor, indicating the applicant’s name, purpose and period of the stay in Thailand and guaranteeing that the applicant will come back to China as scheduled.

6.1 For Company Employee: a guarantee letter from the applicant’s employer (the company the applicant works for)

6.2 For Self-Employed Applicant: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station.

6.3 For Student: a guarantee letter issued by the school or academic institution is required

6.4 For the Unemployed and the Retire: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station

7. Evidence of air ticket reservation to Thailand (first entry) 8. Evidence of accommodation reservation in Thailand (first entry)

First off, the requirements aren't all that difficult and are in line with requirements for a Schengen visa.

Now I doubt this visa will bring in loads of new tourists into the country and I doubt the powers that be actually believe that.

Supporting could also mean making it easier for certain types of tourist to consider Thailand as their travel hub. And this visa certainly does. As many entries as you can make during the validity of the visa. A flexibility that the previous double and triple entries didn't offer.

Let's be honest here, the number of Tourists that previous needed double and tripe TV's was already very tiny. And for most of them, this visa offers more flexibility against a slightly higher price. And depending on their travel itinerary, this visa could actually work out cheaper as a triple (no re-entry permits needed, and a border run instead of an extension if those work out cheaper).

In any case the vast majority of Tourists in Thailand are already well served with visa on arrival, visa exempt, ability to extend and SETV.

Not that difficult?

According to the Chinese labor department the average Chinese salary is $4.755 per year. it means that an average Chinese must save 2 years of salary to have the required amount.

http://qz.com/170363/the-average-chinese-private-sector-worker-earns-about-the-same-as-a-cleaner-in-thailand/

The average Chinese isn't targeted by this visa, it is hardly rocket science. This visa is not targeted to the average tourist in all countries of the world regardless of salary. This visa is targeted to people who can afford an extensive holiday, hence the financial requirements.

For the average European, having that kind of money should be trivial, certainly the kind that can afford such extensive holiday in the first place. How else do you suppose they support themselves whilst here ?

• Like 1

Err, a young doctor living in any European country earning, say, £50,000 per annum would probably spend most of that in maintaining his chosen lifestyle commensurate with that income and may well be able save some money but not a lot as he progresses. Given the requirements he would have to demonstrate that he has at least a surplus of £5,000 held for a minimum of six months then even he would have trouble in qualifying. It is quite literally insane that the Thai have introduced this daft category particularly when one considers their country is a third world destination in a third world region where the PPP capita income is about $7,000. Stupid, incoherent and pointless but I suppose that sums up the Thai bureaucracy in developing a visa most cannot obtain.

The fact they simply haven't even considered those with funds but who are not employed or in full time education is sufficient evidence of their lack of any real forethought.

Incidentally, I know of no requirement that in order to qualify for a Schengen visa one must be in full time employment or education. Similarly, I am not aware of any minimum financial requirement to visit the area.

That is just because you are unaware of Schengen requirements, as both in fact do exist for anyone not using the "sponsor" option. Maybe an idea for the Thai to introduce this too ? Then all you need to do is find a rich Thai sugar daddy to act as your sponsor smile.png

Furthermore how do you suppose the young doctor is going to finance his trip to Thailand ? Supposedly that trip is more than 90 days. To give you an indication, on average I spend 125-150k baht on a four week holiday. The requirements for this visa in my country is 5000 euro or 200K baht.

Edited by sjaak327

Looks like may tourist long stayers will now look elsewhere rather than Thailand . Tourists and long stayers will get fed up with the ever tide of changes and call it a day do the Thai government not see beyond there noses !!!!!

Longstayers are not tourists.Get the appropriate visa and you'll be fine.

THat a stupid comment.

Long stay or short stay if you on a holiday or break and not working here and what are if you not Tourist.

I been here 2 year not work visit many countries around,

I am a Tourist.

Just use Thailand as my Tourist base. lol

Not according to Thai Immigration your not,and they don't care about your self accessment.Get the right visa!!!5555 visit many countries around,......on visa runs.

• Like 1

Err, a young doctor living in any European country earning, say, £50,000 per annum would probably spend most of that in maintaining his chosen lifestyle commensurate with that income and may well be able save some money but not a lot as he progresses. Given the requirements he would have to demonstrate that he has at least a surplus of £5,000 held for a minimum of six months then even he would have trouble in qualifying. It is quite literally insane that the Thai have introduced this daft category particularly when one considers their country is a third world destination in a third world region where the PPP capita income is about $7,000. Stupid, incoherent and pointless but I suppose that sums up the Thai bureaucracy in developing a visa most cannot obtain.

The fact they simply haven't even considered those with funds but who are not employed or in full time education is sufficient evidence of their lack of any real forethought.

Incidentally, I know of no requirement that in order to qualify for a Schengen visa one must be in full time employment or education. Similarly, I am not aware of any minimum financial requirement to visit the area.

Err.................Young Doctors work and study !

They are not interested in obtaining METV's.................

None I know would be able to take more the a couple of weeks holiday at a time.

Their post graduate education and the need to maintain clinical skills are paramount.

• Like 1

Why so many guys asking questions nobody here can reply to?

Why do you not contact directly the Embassy to have the answers?

PS. Don't forget please to come back here to post them for us smile.png

I have written a very detailed letter to my Embassy and they replied back to me giving me NO information about being 'retired'. I will write again next week.

Don't worry, once I do get detailed information, I will post it but at this time in Australia, the MFA has given them no guidelines it seems to go off and it seems like they are just making it up as they go along.

Plenty of info on there Consular website about Immigration's interpretation of retired,not your version.If your under 50 years you do not qualify,doesn't matter how much money you have.

That is just because you are unaware of Schengen requirements, as both in fact do exist for anyone not using the "sponsor" option. Maybe an idea for the Thai to introduce this too ? Then all you need to do is find a rich Thai sugar daddy to act as your sponsor :)
Even with a sponsor the applicant needs to show employment.

For my sister-in laws tourist visa few months back I had to set it up with the local hotel 6 months prior to be her "employer".

Money in, money out, letter of employment.

Thailand is not the UK.

They won't even pay to deport people.

4. Valid permanent residence / residence permit of the Peoples Republic of China

6. Guarantee Letter (in English or Thai) from the applicants local guarantor, indicating the applicants name, purpose and period of the stay in Thailand and guaranteeing that the applicant will come back to China as scheduled.

6.1 For Company Employee: a guarantee letter from the applicants employer (the company the applicant works for)

Not that difficult?

When the Chinese can come here and loll around like westerners that will be the very last nail in Thailand's coffin.I don't care,i will be long gone.

Err, the Schengen requirements currently posted on their various websites indicate that the applicant must demonstrate they have sufficient funds available to cover the expenses of their visit(s). Try and spot the relevant word there, if you can Jaak.

Hmm, I have applied or assisted people applying Schengen visas here in Bangkok several times, and the requirements as stated are very similar:

http://www.vfsglobal.com/netherlands/thailand/tourist.html

Note how both proof of employment and a minimal €34 per day are listed as requirements.

They don't just say adequate finances, they specify exactly how much. Providing applicant would stay the full 90 days, this would mean 3060 euro.

Said it before ...money in a savings/current account went out the door so many years ago. People have a net worth. Equity in perhaps real estate. Shares etc etc. You need to have VERY little in a current account.

These days more and more people work for themselves or contracts that sometimes may last short periods. I wont go on with all the other brainless requirements for the metv. This inept effort is a joke.

Unless visa.

• Like 2

That is just because you are unaware of Schengen requirements, as both in fact do exist for anyone not using the "sponsor" option. Maybe an idea for the Thai to introduce this too ? Then all you need to do is find a rich Thai sugar daddy to act as your sponsor smile.png

For my sister-in laws tourist visa few months back I had to set it up with the local hotel 6 months prior to be her "employer".

Thailand is not the UK.

Not in the Netherlands. The sponsor route negates both the financial and work requirements are lifted for the applicant, that proof suddenly is checked against the sponsor. Since you mention the UK, that country isn't part of Schengen :)

Err, the Schengen requirements currently posted on their various websites indicate that the applicant must demonstrate they have sufficient funds available to cover the expenses of their visit(s). Try and spot the relevant word there, if you can Jaak.

Hmm, I have applied or assisted people applying Schengen visas here in Bangkok several times, and the requirements as stated are very similar:

Note how both proof of employment and a minimal €34 per day are listed as requirements.

They don't just say adequate finances, they specify exactly how much. Providing applicant would stay the full 90 days, this would mean 3060 euro.

Was along the lines as I was thinking.

I do believe there was no more thinking that went into this visa other than "look their visa hard, why they special? We special too" or just pure laziness to copy it.

Thailand is not the UK.

Not in the Netherlands. The sponsor route negates both the financial and work requirements are lifted for the applicant, that proof suddenly is checked against the sponsor. Since you mention the UK, that country isn't part of Schengen :)

It's in the title...

METV Requirements London Embassy.

But take your point about Schengen.

• Like 1

I do believe there was no more thinking that went into this visa other than "look their visa hard, why they special? We special too" or just pure laziness to copy it.

Well, personally I think that employment requirement might be ignored entirely, unless this visa is actually geared towards repeat visitors to Thailand within that period rather than long term stay (which IS possible with this visa). There are precious little people that could take 6-9 months of work anyway.

I suspect that as long as you show the money, and a ticket out they will issue the visa.

Thanks!

That is good news

We are now aware of London's METV requirements.

There are no surprises but some will be disappointed.

I'm afraid I see it as bad news!

My "employer" is actually an Umbrella company so I've no idea if that will work. I don't really want to show details of my savings accounts for 6 months either! Anyway, original statement (or printout with official stamp) for online accounts may be tricky!

Also, I may want to stay in a friend's place so item 7 causes problems. And items 2 and 3 seem odd - if you're sending a UK passport for the visa (item 2) then what's the idea of asking for it again in item 3?

They will probably require passport plus a certified photocopy of it................Thai logic!

Well, personally I think that employment requirement might be ignored entirely, unless this visa is actually geared towards repeat visitors to Thailand within that period rather than long term stay (which IS possible with this visa). There are precious little people that could take 6-9 months of work anyway.

I suspect that as long as you show the money, and a ticket out they will issue the visa.

I wouldn't buy a fight ticket before issue of a visa of this type.

I could put the paperwork together for this visa today. I just wouldn't.

But I'm not in the same boat as some.

I suppose it will work the same as with a Schengen visa, you make a provisional booking. Once you are sure the visa is stamped in the passport, you finalize the booking. In fact previously, when you went to collect your passport at the embassy, they required the finalized ticket as proof before they would issue the passport. Nowadays they don't anymore, they send the passport (with stamped visa) by post.

All on the basis of a provisional booking. Precious little people would want to gamble away that kind of money smile.png

Westerners are no longer the quality tourists, it's the Chinese apparently! I see the METV as an attack on long stayers which may cut out some but will inevitably work against the tourists who just want to base here while they travel. The restrictions would certainly put me off. You could be based in Malaysia, need no visa and fly around the region very easily. I'm not sure how many feet they have left here to shoot themselves in. Never mind "I don't care you"

I suppose it will work the same as with a Schengen visa, you make a provisional booking. Once you are sure the visa is stamped in the passport, you finalize the booking. In fact previously, when you went to collect your passport at the embassy, they required the finalized ticket as proof before they would issue the passport. Nowadays they don't anymore, they send the passport (with stamped visa) by post.

All on the basis of a provisional booking. Precious little people would want to gamble away that kind of money smile.png

Do Kayak/Skyscanner take provisional bookings...

Just one question, do you know the annual leave entitlement for the average worker in China?

coffee1.gif

Not that difficult?

+1

Young professionals (graduated with good jobs) don't have time to travel the world for 6 months...

BTW, it applies, as well, to every employed person.

And, I don't see too many employers happy to see their staff going on holiday for extended periods...

Err.................Young Doctors work and study !

They are not interested in obtaining METV's.................

None I know would be able to take more the a couple of weeks holiday at a time.

Their post graduate education and the need to maintain clinical skills are paramount.

Do Kayak/Skyscanner take provisional bookings...

I have no idea and don't really care, I just go to an old fashioned travel agency instead of supposedly saving 20 bucks or so.