METV from London Embassy

You know, just saying, relating to my earlier post.

Documents 1, 2 & 3 - Straightforward

Document 4 - Straightforward provided you got the cash in the bank, otherwise see below.

Document 5 Microsoft Word and a decent printer

Documents 6 & 7 If these are inappropriate to you, think refundable tickets and bookings.

thumbsup.gif

Can't be much more than an afternoon of your time.

• Like 1

Tourism or Tourist is travel for pleasure or someone who travels for pleasure.

There is no time limit that defines this.

Thailand you could travel around and still not see it all in 2 years

O but then you become a long stayer.

how silly.METV great idea for Travelers requirements makes them useless.

Which countries offer time unlimited "stay as long as you like" tourist visas ?

Many countries would have removed the types that are here, complaining, long ago.

How many western countries have allowed (by rules established by thai) the anenue to back to back setv.

Perhaps if a country has any common sense it would forsee not putting a limit on visa exempt and setv just MIGHT cause people to stay long term.

Said it before ...money in a savings/current account went out the door so many years ago. People have a net worth. Equity in perhaps real estate. Shares etc etc. You need to have VERY little in a current account.

These days more and more people work for themselves or contracts that sometimes may last short periods. I wont go on with all the other brainless requirements for the metv. This inept effort is a joke.

Unless visa.

I guess the hospitals,govt,taxpayers are sick of paying for bludging farangs who have no insurance.Now they know you have the money.The new visas that are available have nothing to do with what you wrote.It is about getting rid of a certain type of "tourist".By all the panic on this forum,it seems to be working.Immigration are not looking at the issue from the long time tourists point of view.They have been trying to close a lot of loop holes for years,but not effect the true tourist.

Said it before ...money in a savings/current account went out the door so many years ago. People have a net worth. Equity in perhaps real estate. Shares etc etc. You need to have VERY little in a current account.

These days more and more people work for themselves or contracts that sometimes may last short periods. I wont go on with all the other brainless requirements for the metv. This inept effort is a joke.

Unless visa.

I guess the hospitals,govt,taxpayers are sick of paying for bludging farangs who have no insurance.Now they know you have the money.The new visas that are available have nothing to do with what you wrote.It is about getting rid of a certain type of "tourist".By all the panic on this forum,it seems to be working.Immigration are not looking at the issue from the long time tourists point of view.They have been trying to close a lot of loop holes for years,but not effect the true tourist.

Exactly what procedures have you had in hospital without paying.

Unless visa.

What drugs are you on. I get zero health care cover here. The minor stuff i have had done i paid premium price at excellent hospital. I love los but i can only stay here if i pay for EVERYTHING. Might add i spend over 70k usd here every year. Bludger?? Whats your story. This thread was metv. Stick to it

Thank you Jacksam! wai2.gif

Edited by VBF

The purposes of my opposition to the METv is creating artificial barriers that are overly bureaucratic and make no sense. And the stated reason for the Visa is to enhance tourism which is completely illogical. We all know the real reson for this Visa .While none of this impacts me as a retired person we need to stick up for those other people who become marginalized and caused suffering due to a poorly thought out program. Just because we have ours -Thailand does not belong to us. In the past the government has encouraged people of all ages to stay long term and people have settled down with families and commitment. You just don't kick these people to the side and say who cares.

People on back to back tourist visas and doing border runs have no rights to "settle down with family and commitments."If you want to commit,get married and your home free,with immi at least.All the rorts farangs have been pulling for decades have finally come home to roost.Most of these blokes are probably on retirement visas by now.You got one thing right,Thailand does not belong to us.I rekon they have tolerated us pretty well over the decades.

The purposes of my opposition to the METv is creating artificial barriers that are overly bureaucratic and make no sense. And the stated reason for the Visa is to enhance tourism which is completely illogical. We all know the real reson for this Visa .While none of this impacts me as a retired person we need to stick up for those other people who become marginalized and caused suffering due to a poorly thought out program. Just because we have ours -Thailand does not belong to us. In the past the government has encouraged people of all ages to stay long term and people have settled down with families and commitment. You just don't kick these people to the side and say who cares.

People on back to back tourist visas and doing border runs have no rights to "settle down with family and commitments."If you want to commit,get married and your home free,with immi at least.All the rorts farangs have been pulling for decades have finally come home to roost.Most of these blokes are probably on retirement visas by now.You got one thing right,Thailand does not belong to us.I rekon they have tolerated us pretty well over the decades.

There are so many problems in this I do not know where to start.

I know lots of guys married that are young. They have Thai wives and most are very happy. Most are around 35 upwards, do not have 400,000 to their names and have to do 90 day runs to stay here. Most that I do know in this boat have incomes coming from pensions, live a comfortable life here but if that changes, then there will be heartache for sure.

Then you have the gay and transgender community. I am in that boat and have so many farang friends here with gay or transgender partners (most long term relationships of over 5 years) that we are in a separate boat of our own as there is no law/visa to cover us or our relationships.

20-30 years ago they wanted us farangs here to spend money. When times were hard, they even gave out free SETV all around the world and that was not that long back! Sure, Thailand might be on a winner now with the Chinese but for a long time, it was the farang tourist dollar they were taking. Who knows what the thought was in the background when the METV was thought up but it will effect a lot of my friends.

Sure immigration is getting tough but those doing illegal activities here will not be stopped as nothing will stop someone that has bad will on there minds.....

Yes, they're don't realized yet that will effect several thousand of people (snowbirds, lgbt community, young retirees), many of them big spenders!

I say, take a deep breath, and wait.

Maybe they will loosen the requirements, when tehy realize it.

• Like 2

Where does introducing the METV 'kick these people to the side'?

People who marry or have legitimate families won't be affected one iota...nor will the retired folk.

What are you going on about?

People who marry or have legitimate families won't be affected one iota...nor will the retired folk.

Wrong - I am 47 and fully retired. Not long until I am 50. So yes, it will/would effect me... my Embassy has not confirmed if a retired person that is fully funded can apply for a METV visa.

Another one that doesn't get it.Under Thai immigration criteria you do not fit,you do not make the rules.May i suggest you go to Cambodia and visit Thailand if you love it so much.If you have a family and married,your in.

Where does introducing the METV 'kick these people to the side'?

What are you going on about?

Wrong - I am 47 and fully retired. Not long until I am 50. So yes, it will/would effect me... my Embassy has not confirmed if a retired person that is fully funded can apply for a METV visa.

Another one that doesn't get it.Under Thai immigration criteria you do not fit,you do not make the rules.May i suggest you go to Cambodia and visit Thailand if you love it so much.If you have a family and married,your in.

You do not get it one bit. I can easily go home, get a METV now (I am Australian) and come back. I have really no problems but many of my friends do and Thailand has had such a open door policy for such a long time, many people whom have made a large part of there year here with their life (especially most my gay friends), do you think being gay and not being able to marry your partner not such a good choice?

There are so many people here that do not fit your 'moral police' box thinking, it astounds me. How about if you were married, did not have 400K and had to do 90 day border runs to keep your family together? Shoe would be on the other foot hey?...

• Like 2

Why should Thailand really care who stays long term as long as they are not employed. As long as a person can sustain themselves on whatever income they have that should be enough. Some people can sustain themselves with much less than others. In my mind they should still keep the Double Entry Tourist Visa and create in a new visa class called longer stay under 50 where one shows a stable form of income. you get stamped in 6 months at a time and don't have to leave until your extension is up. To me the more flexible you are the more people you will attract. The METV is a loser. It benefits very few and the requirements are absurd for a 60 day stamp.

Bugger me,you blokes still don't get it.They don't want people hanging around for years on end,especially under 50's,setting bad examples for Thai youth.The oldies are allowed to hang because that's what oldies do.

Bugger me,you blokes still don't get it.They don't want people hanging around for years on end,especially under 50's,setting bad examples for Thai youth.The oldies are allowed to hang because that's what oldies do.

METV , is much needed , and long overdue . The criteria is in place to check on the background ,

and financial resources , of foreigners /aliens visiting Thailand ,err

much longer than the average , tourist visa exempt. . cut out the chancers/,,chaff.

Next Thai ED, scam .. good luck ,immigration ,,,wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Because a modern traveler suddenly is unable to find the nearest travel agency ? Even modern travelers need to comply with visa regulations, one of which seems to be proof of onward travel, deal with it.

People applying for Schengen visas have been doing it for over the past decade, are they suddenly old fashioned travelers ?

I don't understand the complaint about that provision, given one can get refundable tickets.

Then the "pay if you use it" hotel-bookings - done.

Company letterhead letter - early retire types can come up with something.

Some cash in an account - ok; keep the $$ there for 6 months first - sigh, fine, whatever.

Apply in your home-country so we can check the documents - bit of a pain, but ok.

The only real problem with the METV is if one has to go flying 1/2 way around the world to get it. Now that would be silly. Don't they care about the environment?

This is not the point.They want you to live in your own country and apply there and go home again.

• Like 1

Unless visa.

What drugs are you on. I get zero health care cover here. The minor stuff i have had done i paid premium price at excellent hospital. I love los but i can only stay here if i pay for EVERYTHING. Might add i spend over 70k usd here every year. Bludger?? Whats your story. This thread was metv. Stick to it

Well your a good little farang then,plenty arn't.What you spend is no concern of Immi.,big or small.The METV is to stop people living here for years on tourist visas.They have made the METV fairly accommadating for tourists.Did i hit a raw nerve mate,the reply wasn't directed at you personly.

Unless visa.

Exactly what procedures have you had in hospital without paying.

None,i pay for everything,but i wasn't talking about me was i. I was talking about mainly bike accidents and tourists with no insurance.

I don't know how to say this without getting deleted - let's see how long this lasts. My post in line with anybody who wishes to stay/live in Thailand and understand the new regulations. With that in mind, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever in arguing with people who are posting unhelpful and antagonistic posts.

My own situation is that I had been waiting for London/Cardiff. I live in BKK with somebody that I hope one day to marry -but I in no way want that decision to be made for me as an expediency - due to either UK or Thai government regulations - as in - 'ok, I should get married for the visa now'!

I think perhaps my problem is this - I was born in the mid 1970s'. Apparently - if I had only been born about five years earlier - I would be a totally different person - 'worthy' and 'respectable' and 'deserving' of a 'thaivisa'.

How me do?????

Unless visa.

Well your a good little farang then,plenty arn't.What you spend is no concern of Immi.,big or small.The METV is to stop people living here for years on tourist visas.They have made the METV fairly accommadating for tourists.Did i hit a raw nerve mate,the reply wasn't directed at you personly.

I am not your MATE. how do you know what is the aim of thai immigration rule makers concerning METV. WE all take a guess at the motives. You seem somewhat more definitive. I have zero idea what the metv is about. Especially when it seems necamessary to obtain it in ones own country. Statements like thailand wishes to rid itself of this and that forienger is based on what EXACTLY?
  • Like 1

I don't know how to say this without getting deleted - let's see how long this lasts. My post in line with anybody who wishes to stay/live in Thailand and understand the new regulations. With that in mind, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever in arguing with people who are posting unhelpful and antagonistic posts.

My own situation is that I had been waiting for London/Cardiff. I live in BKK with somebody that I hope one day to marry -but I in no way want that decision to be made for me as an expediency - due to either UK or Thai government regulations - as in - 'ok, I should get married for the visa now'!

I think perhaps my problem is this - I was born in the mid 1970s'. Apparently - if I had only been born about five years earlier - I would be a totally different person - 'worthy' and 'respectable' and 'deserving' of a 'thaivisa'.

How me do?????

Thai Elite, 500,000 Baht. Job done.

Next.

• Like 2

Unless visa.

How me do?????

Visa exempt, I read somewhere someone was told no more than 6. Extended =1 year.

Mix with SETV to take the heat off.

When the IMO corners you with a condescending manner, which he/she will, run up the isle with her.

Then when you go for your marriage extension ask them to put the stamp on her forehead.

You won't be alone.

Not to be taken seriously, just in case there's a first time.

To totally thai up.When you explained yourself fully,i agree you and your friends are in a unique situation.I was married to a Thai and went back to Australia and got my act together.Sadly my ex didn't want to help,you've heard all the horror stories,i'm just one more.If i was PM of either country,you'd be married already.Take that astound back,if you knew me you would be astounded again how liberal(not party)i am.Chogdee.

• Like 1