Thailand rated high-risk for graft

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No "high risk of corruption" here. 100% certainty.

Can all the people who talk about Thai corruption honestly say they have not participated in any way?

No point in being hypocritical about this, if there is any sort of corruption that's going to benefit you, then carry on

and don't complain about it.

Corruption in the UK is worse, ie the government and the banks, the big difference is that the UK politicians are much cleverer

and better educated than the Thai politicians, and can therefor use it for themselves and get away with it.

Ok I'll admit it - I contribute to corruption and have done for 30 years.

I rather pay 200 baht to the road cop that the hassle of going to the station to pick it up.

I have paid immigration 5 k a year so I don't have to spend 10k going to Bkk every year for a letter.

I paid x00,000 baht to someone to get my daughter a good job.

I paid money loads of times for my son to 'pass' through school.

I paid for all my kids to "get entry" to a good school.

I've given a land office official money to grease the wheels.

many more examples esp. at the amphur

But I never complain about the corruption, so I ain't a hypocrite

Excellent post Johnniey, and I agree, you are certainly no hypocrite.

Read just today that Prayut has $18M USD in assets and his salary as army chief was $43K USD annually at retirement. That's a he!! of an accomplishment!

Sure, and now that it is printed here on TV, it can't be anything but the gospel. Cite your sources, please.

Transparency International, yes remember when ti was created 22-years ago in Germany at which time I questioned the who is who involved in the creation and who did pay for the big cars like Mercedes they were tooling around in and the big Havana cigars they were smoking, sure did p%<s them off resulting in me being placd on their blacklist.

Transparency International and Amnesty International both in the same league of the none-NGOs referring to themselves as NGOs and there are lots of them if you care to do some in-depth searching.

Instead of attacking the messenger, why not address the message--a lack of transparency and oversight leaves Thailand and its military at high risk for graft?

Or are you attacking the messenger because you can't refute the message?

Read just today that Prayut has $18M USD in assets and his salary as army chief was $43K USD annually at retirement. That's a he!! of an accomplishment!

Sure, and now that it is printed here on TV, it can't be anything but the gospel. Cite your sources, please.

He already did.

where did you see this?

It's an AP article ran in Yahoo. I saw Oct 31 and thought it was from a week ago. On 2nd look, it turns out it was from Oct 31, 2014

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thai-prime-minister-ex-general-153400812.html

Transparency can never happen, if it does it exposes all of the high level corruption and lining of pockets. The only way this will ever work is if some kind of amnesty is called upon for all current officials. Otherwise it will be a closed door forever.

I know its not ideal to let historical corruption to be forgiven but the only other solution is a true independent, incorruptible corruption department with real power and what are the chances of that.

Its a difficult one as corruption is rampant from top to bottom how do you change the tide?

Can all the people who talk about Thai corruption honestly say they have not participated in any way?

No point in being hypocritical about this, if there is any sort of corruption that's going to benefit you, then carry on

Corruption in the UK is worse, ie the government and the banks, the big difference is that the UK politicians are much cleverer

and better educated than the Thai politicians, and can therefor use it for themselves and get away with it.

How many can say they've never been to Nana Plaza, Pattaya or Pat Pong(they wouldn't exist without foreigners participating in corruption).

Or bought a pirate DVD from Pathip plaza.

How many are moaning about corruption whilst typing on a computer without a genuine Windows????

Look forward to maybe 1 poster saying he is not corrupt in any way.

So much hypocrisy.

Edited by Johnniey

How many can say they've never been to Nana Plaza, Pattaya or Pat Pong(they wouldn't exist without foreigners participating in corruption).

How many are moaning about corruption whilst typing on a computer without a genuine Windows????

So much hypocrisy.

Corruption in the UK is worse! Go and have a good lie down, what a ridiculous thing to say.. I have never paid police tea money but I have been forced to here, I know I can call the police in the UK and they come and help,not here.

Corruption is so rampant here you see it everywhere you go from top to bottom and yet everyone turns a blind eye. It destroys society, ruins economies and gives the "corrupt" elite even more power.

By the way, i am not corrupt. I dont want to participate in any form of corruption, I have left working for a company because the corruption was so engrained you could not function without getting involved.. So, dont judge yourself by your own low standards.

Thailand would be 100x better if they eradicated corruption, at least to as far as they can.

Lastly, yes there is corruption elsewhere including the UK but it is not tolerated or accepted and the people found guilty face the justice system so please stop making such silly comments and get real.

So much hypocrisy.

Corruption in the UK is worse! Go and have a good lie down, what a ridiculous thing to say.. I have never paid police tea money but I have been forced to here, I know I can call the police in the UK and they come and help,not here.

Corruption is so rampant here you see it everywhere you go from top to bottom and yet everyone turns a blind eye. It destroys society, ruins economies and gives the "corrupt" elite even more power.

By the way, i am not corrupt. I dont want to participate in any form of corruption, I have left working for a company because the corruption was so engrained you could not function without getting involved.. So, dont judge yourself by your own low standards.

Thailand would be 100x better if they eradicated corruption, at least to as far as they can.

Lastly, yes there is corruption elsewhere including the UK but it is not tolerated or accepted and the people found guilty face the justice system so please stop making such silly comments and get real.

So you've never been to Nana Plaza or Panthip Plaza?

So much hypocrisy.

Lastly, yes there is corruption elsewhere including the UK but it is not tolerated or accepted and the people found guilty face the justice system so please stop making such silly comments and get real. ?? So when is 'call me Dave' Cameron and the bankers going to be called to court? I'll tell you, never.

The corruption in the police is hidden because they are clever enough to keep it inhouse.

Have you ever read UK newspapers? There have been policemen charged with corruption,

it is wellknown around certain places that businesses make payments to the police to overlook unlawful things that are going on.

So nobody really needs to get real, and their has been no silly comments.

Corruption is everywhere. There is a small amount of corruption in countries like the UK, where tolerance is low and those caught are prosecuted. This keeps corruption from ruining the country.

There is a lot of corruption in Thailand, where it is endemic and people who rose to the highest levels of the corrupt system don't want to change a system that serves them well.

Most people can understand the difference between countries that fight corruption at all levels, and those that are corrupted to the highest levels. Clearly some people don't.

It's amazing how corruption has risen in Thailand in the past years and a half.

Now cops are launging around threating tourists and businesses extorting money from people with total impunity,like never before.

Since my first trips to Thailand in the 90s, I 'd say Thailand has never been as much corrupt as it is now.

Yes but considering their much smaller numbers, more outside focus and hence a need for far more sophisticated money laundering techniques, FIFA and IAAF could certainly show the Thai Government a thing or two on how to improve their "take" from the general population thro' corruption. The mad General should appoint Sepp Blatter as a government advisor. Then things would start improving.

Perhaps then then could attain special status "F" in Transparency International's grading.

You are doing the underestimating thing......

Thailand's "shadow economy" is 57% of the nation;'s wealth! Most of this is the result of illegal or unacknowledged business

57%?

Even that is a stretch of the most imaginative mind. So the gdp of the country is underestimated by this much.

I think not.

So much hypocrisy.

Lastly, yes there is corruption elsewhere including the UK but it is not tolerated or accepted and the people found guilty face the justice system so please stop making such silly comments and get real. ?? So when is 'call me Dave' Cameron and the bankers going to be called to court? I'll tell you, never.

The corruption in the police is hidden because they are clever enough to keep it inhouse.

Have you ever read UK newspapers? There have been policemen charged with corruption,

it is wellknown around certain places that businesses make payments to the police to overlook unlawful things that are going on.

Well known that people pay off the police?

As a percentage of all the police in the UK, how many are part of this well known payment system?

Since u made the accusation, I am curious to your figure.

So much hypocrisy.

As a percentage of all the police in the UK, how many are part of this well known payment system?

I don't know, I only know what I hear. and what I read in the papers.

and as you accuse me of making an accusation when it is only an opinion based on what I have heard and read, we will end this debate.

So much hypocrisy.

I don't know, I only know what I hear. and what I read in the papers.

and as you accuse me of making an accusation when it is only an opinion based on what I have heard and read, we will end this debate.

You claimed it was well known that police in the UK police take bribes.

Hardly true.

Dear PM Prayut,

Please solve the long standing issue of public transport system in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai could have been a much better and beautiful city to live in, if not because of the public transport system.

Transparency International, yes remember when ti was created 22-years ago in Germany at which time I questioned the who is who involved in the creation and who did pay for the big cars like Mercedes they were tooling around in and the big Havana cigars they were smoking, sure did p%<s them off resulting in me being placd on their blacklist.

Transparency International and Amnesty International both in the same league of the none-NGOs referring to themselves as NGOs and there are lots of them if you care to do some in-depth searching.

So they don't have a point when they rate Thailand as "high risk for graft"?

So much hypocrisy.

I think you are confusing theft and corruption