Tesla to make debut at upcoming Thailand International Motor Expo

webfact

Right now Electric vehicles have issues with the environmental impact of producing their batteries and the generation of electrical power they use in places were the power is generated from fossil fuels. Tesla in Norway with Hydro power is a good match, but not repeatable in many countries.

The environmental and economic benefits of Hydrogen are also questionable because there are no economical methods to produce and distribute Hydrogen without significant environmental impact. Hydrogen is common in various compounds but a huge amount of energy or Carbon emissions are required to separate it.

Who knows what will happen in the future but non fossil fuel based Hydrogen production has big challenges to overcome.

For all the stuff I've read about Hydrogen production, this is my understanding as well.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now Electric vehicles have issues with the environmental impact of producing their batteries and the generation of electrical power they use in places were the power is generated from fossil fuels. Tesla in Norway with Hydro power is a good match, but not repeatable in many countries.

The environmental and economic benefits of Hydrogen are also questionable because there are no economical methods to produce and distribute Hydrogen without significant environmental impact. Hydrogen is common in various compounds but a huge amount of energy or Carbon emissions are required to separate it.

Who knows what will happen in the future but non fossil fuel based Hydrogen production has big challenges to overcome.

For all the stuff I've read about Hydrogen production, this is my understanding as well.

I am also inclined to agree

aside from the entertainment value of participating in treads in this forum it also provides a catalyst for doing research on the subject and learning more, I now know significantly more about the Subject mater of this thread that I did a few days ago,

Thank you allsmile.png

I agree that Hydrogen production is the Achilles heel of the fuel Cell technology,at this point ,but though there was little interest in the production of Hydrogen due to the abundance of hydrocarbon fuels and their low cost, both of these dynamics are changing , and a lot more research is being conducted in developing more efficient cost effective mens of Hydrogen production.

Some of that research is being conducted at the university of Glasgow

"The new method allows larger-than-ever quantities of hydrogen to be produced at atmospheric pressure using lower power loads, typical of those generated by renewable power sources. It also solves intrinsic safety issues which have so far limited the use of intermittent renewable energy for hydrogen production"

"The research team was led by Professor Lee Cronin of the University of Glasgow's School of Chemistry. Professor Cronin said: "The process uses a liquid that allows the hydrogen to be locked up in a liquid-based inorganic fuel. By using a liquid sponge known as a redox mediator that can soak up electrons and acid we've been able to create a system where hydrogen can be produced in a separate chamber without any additional energy input after the electrolysis of water takes place.

"The link between the rate of water oxidation and hydrogen production has been overcome, allowing hydrogen to be released from the water 30 times faster than the leading PEME process on a per-milligram-of-catalyst basis."

http://phys.org/news/2014-09-hydrogen-production-breakthrough-herald-cheap.html

http://www.gla.ac.uk/news/archiveofnews/2014/september/headline_358595_en.html

other research is looking at ocean geothermal energy utilizing the high pressures at ocean depth and abundant thermal energy from mid ocean ridges,

and I am sure there is more.

Anyway this so far has being an interesting thread, going back to reading more about Hydrogen

production smile.png

PS: Tesla stock up 5.22 % today on news of the soon to be release model X

Edited by sirineou

Read in a Thai forum that they are no longer attending the Motor Expo, rumour they are not an official distributor and is not affiliated with Tesla, apparently Tesla made a statement they have no plans to enter Thailand.

I guess the they where just a grey market importer.

Read in a Thai forum that they are no longer attending the Motor Expo, rumour they are not an official distributor and is not affiliated with Tesla, apparently Tesla made a statement they have no plans to enter Thailand.

I guess the they where just a grey market importer.

I went to the Motor Expo yesterday - and no Tesla unfortunately.

I think they were supposed to be a "sole importer", and not an official distributor. Lets wait and see for the Motor Show in April.