USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

I think only Phoenix and Tucson are left for now.

That was an interesting point that a sale can be forced in AZ over HOA fees. Never heard that one. Usually unpaid HOA fees plus penalties are taken if possible when the home is eventually sold in future but even then often never recovered.

The Phoenix vs. Tucson thing is difficult. Different but both in the desert. I may hate them both. Who knows? The strongest points I see for Phoenix are:

better job market (of questionable value for me either way)

streetcar and future streetcar expansion

more "stuff" overall (restaurants, variety of people, etc.)

a real "big" city (pros and cons on that one)

probably the strongest -- HUGE availability of housing choices, types, prices, locations, etc.

This is the worst time of year to be looking, and May, June are likely the best in Snowbird areas. Agents keep telling me how the market goes right along through the heatwaves. Traditionally, people move in the US during the Summer, as to not traumatize the little angels with a move during the school year. May be a bit less so in Az, but a lot of homebuying is done by out of staters, not Mexicans, who will move their kids four times during a school year, for whatever reason.

I am not even close to actively shopping anywhere. I am not sure if I'm going to leave Thailand. But that seasonal information is interesting. I just wanted a general idea of supply and demand between those two cities. I would guess that Tucson is generally tighter because of a smaller housing stock but on the other hand with the job market being better in Phoenix maybe it's the opposite. It seems to be snowbirds are not going to sign one year leases.

most are willing to pay more for a 6 month, or even a lot more for a three month.but the big apartments will offer them a 6. Many second home owners leave their winter places empty for 7-9 months per year. About Jan 1 to April 1...many would go home to file taxes. Much easier to do remotely, now. The Canadians will start showing up in November, or even earlier, if they are looking for a good deal. They accounted for about 4% of sales after the crash. My buyer's have come from NY. BC, Michigan, and California.

Does anyone know a good source for finding good stats for current apartment vacancy rates in different cities?

Of course in my situation, high numbers would be sign of oversupply of real estate, which is what I want going in.

JT, When the market crashed in 2007, the rental vacancy factor went down. People who lost their homes and/or people who were afraid to buy, rented. There is still a shortage of rentals in some markets that have a surplus of and bargains in homes for sale. I've never seen rental rates so high when related to home prices. In many markets right now people could buy with a payment much lower than renting the same place.

I could show you places in the country right now (rural places you don't like) where you could buy a decent double wide 3/2 on an acre or so of your own land for $30K. Then you could rent a br and bath for $500 and live there for free. There is always a way.

I'm looking at a place in very rural E. Tennessee right now for a place to go in the summer. It's on a good paved road in the rural Appalachian Mountains about 3 miles from a very small town and about 20 miles from a small city with lots of shopping. They want $15k for it and it needs about that much more in repairs. I wouldn't trade or quit my real home in Oregon but I'd like to have it for a retreat.

There is always a way.

Actually if I wanted to live in rain and gloom am sure forefathers would never have departed Scotland/Ireland several generations ago. biggrin.png

Overnights at SeaTac are enough for me - but do understand many people love that area.

In the case of this thread we are talking older age where cold humidity and outdoor lifestyle may not be the primary goal.

Fort Worth Texas is a nice laid back mid sized city ... less expensive housing / rentals can be found not far from the central downtown in older quaint neighborhoods ... there is plenty of bus service. And you would be close to possible jobs. Several universities and many high grade hospitals.. .Fort Worth downtown around Sundance Square is a very nice place to hangout ... a festive area with a lot of trendy cafes and restaurants... Today's Fort Worth is far from just a cowboy town .. .but they have that too on the North Side...

There is much more -- you should research it... before tossing it...

• Like 1

Fort Worth Texas is a nice laid back mid sized city ... less expensive housing / rentals can be found not far from the central downtown in older quaint neighborhoods ... there is plenty of bus service. And you would be close to possible jobs. Several universities and many high grade hospitals.. .Fort Worth downtown around Sundance Square is a very nice place to hangout ... a festive area with a lot of trendy cafes and restaurants... Today's Fort Worth is far from just a cowboy town .. .but they have that too on the North Side...

How about Austin? I've heard it's great. I'm not a big fan of Fort Worth. It's a very big city. But very livable. And housing is reasonable!

And the Ft Worth/Dallas area seems to have a good employment situation.

I guess you could say this about any place but reading comments on the net about the pros and cons of living in Tucson I am struck by the extremes of most of the comments. Either very positive or shockingly negative. I understand it depends on your specific situation there, but still, not sure what to think.

Here is a specific spot to avoid. At least that's clear!:w00t.gif

Contrast that nightmare to some of the listings I'm seeing for rentals for example in decent looking complexes with nice grounds and pools, in what seem to be OK areas, for 650 for a 2 bedroom (which you could get a roommate if needed and have very cheap rent, even not much more expensive than many parts of Thailand).

On some of the comments online, sometimes I think some of them are trolls trying to scare people away because they think the place is too crowded.

Edited by Jingthing

News about two good things about Tucson:

Tucson Becomes the First UNESCO-Designated Creative City of Gastronomy in the U.S.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2015/12/11/tucson-becomes-the-first-unesco-designated-creative-city-of-gastronomy-in-the-us

OK. This doesn't meant that Tucson has the best restaurants in the world because it obviously doesn't, but is mostly about the movement to preserve native seeds in a region of ancient human habitation.

Still kind of cool.

Tucson Gets a Perfect Score in LGBT Equality

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2015/12/18/human-rights-campaign-tucson-gets-a-perfect-score-in-lgbt-equality

That's really great! I could feel totally equal to my neighbors in the cockroach trailers dodging the rattlesnakes coming up from the toilet.

Look around Phoenix area not in the city. I lived in Surprise just outside Glendale. Even Goodyear. Lots of things to see and do. Cities in Az are really spread out. I mean you can drive 5 miles just to get to the supermarket. You can find reasonable rents for under $900. I found a new apt for $650 and had its own washer/dryer set up and..a pool. Yes it's hot but that's what air conditioners are for. Really not as bad as you think.

Check out the other cities but avoid Tucson. High crime area now.

They actually have good public transportation but think of this, "lease" a car. New car less than $250/month w/insurance. Many options there too.

Look around Phoenix area not in the city. I lived in Surprise just outside Glendale. Even Goodyear. Lots of things to see and do. Cities in Az are really spread out. I mean you can drive 5 miles just to get to the supermarket. You can find reasonable rents for under $900. I found a new apt for $650 and had its own washer/dryer set up and..a pool. Yes it's hot but that's what air conditioners are for. Really not as bad as you think.

They actually have good public transportation but think of this, "lease" a car. New car less than $250/month w/insurance. Many options there too.

Yeah I can see the high crime stats for Tucson but that's not in every single neighborhood. The spread out thing is OK within reason. Phoenix being twice as big a metro area is twice as spread out, yes? There are also many high crime areas in and around Phoenix. There do seem to be good rents in both places, just a lot more choice in Phoenix. Good public transport in Phoenix, you mean? Leasing a car? My last car in the U.S. was leased. I thought it was a pretty awful deal in the long run. I've always thought the smartest option in the U.S. is to buy like a 10 year old car but check it out first. Not for status. For wheels.

I know Atlanta suburbs and it's a great choice. Even though crappy public transport. But no expanded Medicaid and no hope there will be.

I think NE Suburbs much better, very ethnically diverse, incredibly good Asian restaurants and markets (markets much better than anything I've seen in Thailand by far), much better than central Atlanta which is for yuppies happy to be ripped off.

South of Atlanta, in my experience pretty awful, but yes great deals on houses.

But you do know Atlanta summers are very HORRIBLE (heat PLUS killer humidity) so to suggest it as an ideal climate is a big stretch.

Edited by Jingthing

I guess you could say this about any place but reading comments on the net about the pros and cons of living in Tucson I am struck by the extremes of most of the comments. Either very positive or shockingly negative. I understand it depends on your specific situation there, but still, not sure what to think.

Here is a specific spot to avoid. At least that's clear!:w00t.gif

Contrast that nightmare to some of the listings I'm seeing for rentals for example in decent looking complexes with nice grounds and pools, in what seem to be OK areas, for 650 for a 2 bedroom (which you could get a roommate if needed and have very cheap rent, even not much more expensive than many parts of Thailand).

On some of the comments online, sometimes I think some of them are trolls trying to scare people away because they think the place is too crowded.

Jingthing,

My parents are retired in Green Valley, Arizona, about 30 minutes from Tucson.

I have visited a few times, considered living there, and know the area to some degree (but I'm no expert).

In general, Tucson (within the city limits) is a poor city. It was the 6th poorest in the US, if you can believe the statistics. It is literally, a burger flipping / retail economy.

The University of Arizona is based here with lots of job, but they seem to go to local Tucsonians with connections.

The retired snowbirds from the Northwest and Mid-west have money and/or enough money to retire and they live south of the city.

Pima county is very large.

Rents are affordable and decent in Tucson. Decent Apartments, IMO.

But the wages are also low as the minimum wage is $7 US per hour (not saying you're in these fields or that you're even looking for employment).

It's a beautiful area. If you need work, it's very, very, rough.

If you have enough for affordable rent though, it can be very good.

• Like 2

Yeah I can see the high crime stats for Tucson but that's not in every single neighborhood. The spread out thing is OK within reason. Phoenix being twice as big a metro area is twice as spread out, yes? There are also many high crime areas in and around Phoenix. There do seem to be good rents in both places, just a lot more choice in Phoenix. Good public transport in Phoenix, you mean? Leasing a car? My last car in the U.S. was leased. I thought it was a pretty awful deal in the long run. I've always thought the smartest option in the U.S. is to buy like a 10 year old car but check it out first. Not for status. For wheels.

In Phoenix IMO, you will need a car.

You can get by without one, but a used car as you note will be very handy.

JT, sorry to interject in your thread - but just one post, please.

(I am an expat who has been and is, researching places to relocate to the USA, like you.)

I have family in the Seattle area that I can stay with / live with until I find work. At 45, with my background, yes, I can find work. I updated my resume with a professional resume service and get calls for interviews.

However, I do NOT ever want to live in Seattle again for a few reasons: cost of living, traffic, weather, and I already have had all of my experiences to have their.

• Like 1