Central security.

Goldieinkathu

What exactly is the point of the two/three security men who check the contents of the boots of cars entering Cental?

On nearly every occasion I have watched them in my mirror lift the boot about 10 inches then close it again without even looking in it.

Are we expected to feel safe and secure with this level of security?

Surely if they were serious about potential bombs etc they would pull over a car every so often at random and give it a thorough check, inside and out.

They must have some idea of the type of people they are looking for?

As it is it's just ridiculous!

I've got a hard cover on the back of my Dmax and the latch is a bit of a pain to open.

They always complain that it is locked, when I bawl that it isn't they futz around for about 10 seconds and then wave me through.

I certainly have a more relaxing shopping experience knowing that my security is well cared for by such dedicated and vigilant professionals.

"They must have some idea of the type of people they are looking for?"

What gives you the impression that they have an idea?

You just arrived in Thailand?

I've been here 20 years and I know exactly the sort I'd pull over. It wouldn't be middle aged European women that's for sure.

Police and security men have gut instincts too , they know who looks shifty - don't you?

I never see them lift the cover where the spare tyre is kept plus they never bother to look in the backseat of my pickup but lets face a dedicated terrorist will find a way to get in anywhere there is a crowd. Any suicidal maniac with a backpack could do so in Soi Bangla for instance.

I've got a hard cover on the back of my Dmax and the latch is a bit of a pain to open.

They always complain that it is locked, when I bawl that it isn't they futz around for about 10 seconds and then wave me through.

I certainly have a more relaxing shopping experience knowing that my security is well cared for by such dedicated and vigilant professionals.

Yes, if only they could be as efficient as security screeners in the west! One could really feel secure then.

The US homeland security secretary, Jeh Johnson, has ordered improved security at airports and reassigned the top Transportation Security Administration official to another role after reports that screenings failed to detect mock explosives and weapons in 95% of tests carried out by undercover agents.

Airport screeners, who are employed by the Transportation Security Administration, did not detect banned weapons in 67 of 70 tests at dozens of airports, ABC News reported, citing officials briefed on a report by homeland security’s inspector general.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/02/us-airport-security-raised-after-fake-weapons-missed-by-screenings

Yes, if only they could be as efficient as security screeners in the west! One could really feel secure then.

The US homeland security secretary, Jeh Johnson, has ordered improved security at airports and reassigned the top Transportation Security Administration official to another role after reports that screenings failed to detect mock explosives and weapons in 95% of tests carried out by undercover agents.

Airport screeners, who are employed by the Transportation Security Administration, did not detect banned weapons in 67 of 70 tests at dozens of airports, ABC News reported, citing officials briefed on a report by homeland security’s inspector general.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/02/us-airport-security-raised-after-fake-weapons-missed-by-screenings

Nice strawman.

What does the incompetence of the TSA have to do with Central Festival?

I guess these checks started because of the bombs in the Samui car park a few years ago.

Of topic I know, Fester, but I once watched a plain clothed federal copper walk unchallenged through a metal detector at an Australian airport with a weapon in an ankle holster. They adjusted the machines to cover the complete body after that episode.

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago the central locking something wasn't working on my rear tailgate. The security man asked me to open up, I said that it was broken, so he looked through the window into the back section for a few seconds and then waved me through. I have 90% tinted windows so unless he had x-ray vision would have seen only his own reflection.

It would be interesting to put a big black box in someones boot and write "This is not a bomb", and see if that gets any attention.

S

Edited by SDM0712