Phuket Opinion: Profiteering and politics of beach rules

rooster59

Phuket Opinion: Profiteering and politics of beach rules

post-247607-0-49256300-1447564402_thumb.

Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat (in pink shirt) is surrounded by people while he was marking out the 10-per-cent zones at Patong Beach on Monday (Nov 9). Photo: Saroj Kueprasertkij

PHUKET: The tactical positioning by Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada to remove himself from responsibility for any of the beach rules unfolding at Phuket’s key tourist beaches screams tomes about how sensitive the issue really is and what the potential fallout of a bad decision might result in.

Despite earlier reports that Gov Chamroen is a Phuket native, he is not. But he did spend a good part of his youth in growing up on the island. To that, he is no stranger to the critical role that the beaches play in the island’s economy.

Regardless of the recent development of shopping, adventure tours and even the MICE (Meeting, Incentive, Convention and Exhibition) tourism markets that bring tourists to Phuket, the island’s beaches still remain Phuket’s top draw-card. Take away the beaches, and what exactly would tourists come here for? Let’s face it, They can get the rest elsewhere and at better value. These later “attractions” are at this stage still “add-ons”.

Perhaps Gov Chamroen is still finding his feet in his role as Bangkok’s top representative on the island – apart from the Navy or other “visiting” military figures – and there is no argument that he is an excellent choice for Governor as a person who knows Phuket and its issues well.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-profiteering-and-politics-of-beach-rules-54949.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-15

"Profiteering"......the crux of all issues in Phuket and everywhere else........nothing to do with good governence or decision making.....these goons doing their 10% marking are simply comical.........beautiful beaches in Phuket?....another oxymoron!!

As ChrisY1 observes, blatant profiteering by issuing local laws for public beaches – absolutely, positively, disgraceful. In any civilised country, national laws override local laws!

Imagine what else this pink-shirted suinae has his nose in?

“...there is no argument that he is an excellent choice for Governor”. Oh, please spare me, loan me your pocket Chokdee, I think I’m going to be sick!

post-209291-0-90575200-1447588088_thumb.

I thought only the 1% power elite were allowed to own the means of production, wealth and land. How dare dark skinned slave classes try to make an income from the beaches.What next? A decent education and health service? An elected government? Perish the thought!