Thai Candidate Withdraws Bid For Top Un Post

george

Thai candidate withdraws bid for top UN post

BANGKOK: -- Trailing far behind other candidates in an informal poll of the United Nations Security Council, Thailand's former deputy prime minister and foreign minister Surakiart Sathirathai has withdrawn his name for consideration as a candidate for the post of UN secretary general.

Mr. Surakiart, deputy to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra who was deposed in a military coup last month, met newly-appointed interim Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont at Government House Thursday to officially inform the premier of his decision to leave the race.

On Monday an informal poll was held in New York in which South Korean foreign minister Ban Ki-moon won overwhelming support and thus was assured of being selected as the next UN head.

Gen. Surayud said Mr. Surakiart told him it was a tradition for final-round candidates with less support in the race to withdraw their bids.

"Like playing football, when we know we'll surely lose, we should leave the race," the prime minister said.

Seven candidates, six from Asia, have run the contest to replace Secretary General Kofi Annan who is to step down December 31 after two five-year terms.

Thailand's bid for the top UN post was apparently sealed on Monday when Mr. Surakiart was among four contenders trailing behind in the final informal poll.

Gen. Surayud said he did not ask Mr. Surakiart to accept a position in the interim cabinet which is now being formed.

--TNA 2006-10-06

At some point in the future, and now that Mr. Thaksin is gone, I hope the press starts reporting in a more balanced manner. From what I had read in the local papers, this guy was really almost a top contender. It was reported who was "for" him and others were often listed as "not committed".

I think it is like when the gov't decided that Thailand was going to be the "hub" of everything. I don't recall them consulting any other countries about it.