Spending more doesn't guarantee better quality.

giddyup

My old office chair (from Office Works) would no longer stay at the right height as the gas in the base had probably leaked, but it had served me well for about 5 years. So I decided to treat myself to a "better" one and bought a more upmarket model from Thai Watsadu for around 4000 baht. The new one has padded arms which I liked, but the vinyl on the arms began cracking after around 3 months, and in fact it's paper thin, and has now reached the point (5 months) where the arms will need to be recovered. Needless to say Thai Watsadu weren't interested in replacing or repairing the chair. OK, it's not going to cost an arm or a leg to repair, but after 5 months I shouldn't have to. Same with the electric lawnmower I bought from the same place, gave up the ghost after 5 months, but fortunately that did come with a 12 month warranty, but I'm still waiting for it to be repaired and returned a month later. I know this is Thailand, but these places would be out of business in a heartbeat in the West, and it's not as though the goods are cheaper, quite the contrary. Rant over.

...and this has what to do with my post?

Your Title perhaps ?, but I think anything by him would be well outside your comprehension.

Then why suggest it? I'm talking about the poor quality of products sold in Thailand, can you grasp that?

Seems to me your best advice is to be found in your first post. Don't shop at Thai Watsadu. Once bitten, twice shy. Or not, in your case.

I actually bought both items, the chair and the mower at the same time.

I too used to buy cheap office chairs just as you describe giddyup.

I gave up and purchased an Aeron. Was costly at Bt.35,000 but it is rock solid and works perfectly and blemish free almost 3 years later, cannot see why it wont easily last another 3 years or more.

Sometimes spending more does guarantee better quality.

I will be more constructive. Here is the Thai Consumer Protection Act. See if you have a claim under that.

http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=185589

Disparate Dan

You might like to summarise where you think the OP went wrong. Nobody wants to wade through tons of vacuous psychobabble.

Oh no, Disparate Dan thinks that anyone who can't be bothered to wade through his self-help book of the month just couldn't comprehend it anyway.

I had an almost identical experience with a HomeWorks chair that I paid about 4KB for. I think HomeWorks is the same group as Tai Watsudu and so it may be the same type of chair. Fine when new but the gas strut failed after a few months and the leather-effect covering started peeling a few months later.

I couldn't be bothered to dismantle it to take it back to them and complain so I left it for the dustbin people and drove to Ikea and bought one of theirs with a fabric cover rather than leather-effect. Seems to be much better quality and only cost 2,500B (plus diesel and tolls, of course, but I stocked up on a few other things at the same time). I will know more in a year or two.

I too used to buy cheap office chairs just as you describe giddyup.

I gave up and purchased an Aeron. Was costly at Bt.35,000 but it is rock solid and works perfectly and blemish free almost 3 years later, cannot see why it wont easily last another 3 years or more.

Sometimes spending more does guarantee better quality.

For 35,000 baht I'd expect it to come with a lifetime guarantee. I had an office chair still in near perfect condition after 8 years in Australia, cost me around $120.

I had an almost identical experience with a HomeWorks chair that I paid about 4KB for. I think HomeWorks is the same group as Tai Watsudu and so it may be the same type of chair. Fine when new but the gas strut failed after a few months and the leather-effect covering started peeling a few months later.

I couldn't be bothered to dismantle it to take it back to them and complain so I left it for the dustbin people and drove to Ikea and bought one of theirs with a fabric cover rather than leather-effect. Seems to be much better quality and only cost 2,500B (plus diesel and tolls, of course, but I stocked up on a few other things at the same time). I will know more in a year or two.

I can tell you, taking it back and complaining is a wasted exercise. They basically said that they didn't make the chair so why should they be responsible!

I can tell you, taking it back and complaining is a wasted exercise. They basically said that they didn't make the chair so why should they be responsible!

The same attitude seems to prevail in a number of countries. In Saudi Arabia the view generally was that the retailer or supplier had no duty whatsoever to repair or replace a faulty product. The same attitude used to prevail in the UK but has been tempered by legislation and the pressure of consumer groups such as Which? . In countries where retailers and suppliers can get away with this they are making lots of easy money for very little effort

The same attitude seems to prevail in a number of countries. In Saudi Arabia the view generally was that the retailer or supplier had no duty whatsoever to repair or replace a faulty product. The same attitude used to prevail in the UK but has been tempered by legislation and the pressure of consumer groups such as Which? . In countries where retailers and suppliers can get away with this they are making lots of easy money for very little effort

The seller should be returning the faulty product to the manufacturer, but I guess that's not always easy if it's imported. I bought a cheap Chinese TV set from K Mart in Australia, it failed after 2 years, well outside the warranty period. K Mart took the set back and allowed me the purchase price towards another TV.

Sorry for your unfortunate luck, But this is Thailand and the country has no laws what so ever to protect consumers. Once you have paid for it its your problem and the guarantees are a joke also , some times taking six months to be completed and possibly not a 100%. Its any shop even the big name stores like Big C, Lotus , Central etc. Those of us that live here have all suffered the same difficulty. Other then getting a lawyer to prove a point , there is NOTHING we can do.

The one thing I have learned is that if i buy a branded item, rather then a no name import, usually have better luck.

Once more this is Thailand and we have to accept it for what we like and live with the balance.

Good Luck

So I am not alone.

Have my third(?) chair in well over 4 years. Or is it fourth tongue.png

The first were cheapos from Index or the like.

Broken wheels, broken armrest, name it.

One almost made me fall backward on the hard floor.

Last one: so now spend more, 7000 Baht from "Koncept" (furniture chain shop).

OK, it "survived" more than a year now, not broken.

But the black cover (feather thin) making the black leather look has slowly dissolved at all strained parts.

Looks dirt ugly and somewhat awkward.

Crap!

As the previous post says: endless stories. Crap is everywhere and the shops don't care.

I have long given up to go back and complain.

Leaning by buying.

Sometimes an expensive experience.

Edited by KhunBENQ

BTW about chairs.

At the Makro catalog I first saw a specification for the weight of the user.

The ones with more than 80 kg are rare. 100 kg then.

And I just guess that some TV posters are above whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

My story is similar, I bought a cheap office/computer chair at HomeWorks on sale for 6,000 baht. The sales lady said it was leather but I had my suspicions. In about 6 months the "vinyl" on the arms started flaking away and now the back and shoulders. A friend bought a real leather chair over 5 years ago and looks great with heavy use. I bought a cheap product, although my instincts told me "no" and now I am the proud owner of a piece of junk.

Get one from IKEA, my one is still going strong after 5 year. Easy to deal too, if something is going wrong.

I hope Pattaya gets an Ikea eventually, otherwise it's a bit of a hike just to buy an office chair.

BTW about chairs.

At the Makro catalog I first saw a specification for the weight of the user.

The ones with more than 80 kg are rare. 100 kg then.

And I just guess that some TV posters are above whistling.gif

Years ago I was on my way with my 3 - wheeler (Motorbike with side car.) On the road side there was a baby elephant asking for a ride. Upon him boarding, the side car collapsed.

We both (the baby elephant and I) agreed: There are no quality products to be had in Thailand, no matter what the price tag.

Tomorrow, I will go and buy a drill at Home Pro because baby elephant needs dental work urgently. I gave warning: "The drill will quit before I am finished with all this dental work" !

His reply: "This is Thailand,"

Cheers.

I hope Pattaya gets an Ikea eventually, otherwise it's a bit of a hike just to buy an office chair.

I drove there for a chair and on another occasion for a mattress. I dont regret either trip.

It doesnt take very long and almost the entire journey is on motorway or the elevated express road.

I think if you pay little bit more you most of the time also become better quality.

I had a built in closet in my condo and last month i saw a small gap between 2 parts. I called the company and they came over to fix it for free. Even the warranty was over just a few months.

So not every company treat their customers the same. But yes if you buy cheap products it can be a problem but not have to.

I bought a swivel chair from Chok Chai decor about 4yearsago when I first moved here.

6 months later, one of the legs broke off; I contacted Chok Chai and asked where to buy a new base for the chair.

They asked for pictures and when I sent them, they took responsibility and replaced the base for free.

Still going strong now despite heavy use. Came as a real surprise to me, and any furniture that I have needed since, I bought there.

Chok Chai is on Sukhumvit, just about across the street from Boonthavorn.

Get one from IKEA, my one is still going strong after 5 year. Easy to deal too, if something is going wrong.

I do not understand why they don't have online ordering and delivery. Seems to me that they would increase sales significantly.

Several people have mentioned getting what you pay for and cheap products, but I dont think that 4000B is at all cheap for a desk chair. I paid only 6000B for a comfortable reclining leather chair and matching foot stool and the quality of it is fine. No problems after two years or more.