First Aid Kit

canthai55

Why would use a fishing hook, or even try to stitch yourself up with a suture needle, I saw Rambo do it, so I guess it can be done, in fact he made it look easy.

Seriously if you wish to close a big gusher, duct tape is best, but better apply pressure and get help. Cling film is good stuff to carry and takes up no space at all, useful for protecting road rash injuries and burns too. Apart from paracetamol and stomach tablets, 3 other essentials, antiseptic wipes, a vacuum packed sterile pad and a pair of scissors....and a mobile phone.

If you haven't, do a first aid training course, or look at some of the stuff on Youtube like

LOL .. Good thread mate ! Deja Vu ..

I asked on the other forum, what do you use to stitch yourself up with, fishing line ?

Had my ultra light tackle with me, so had some 2 pound test. Wiped out over 100km from the nearest help. Rock tore the base of my left hand from palm thru the base of the thumb and down to my wrist. Could see bones easy - very white and shiny ! Would not stop bleeding. Four stitches, gauze pad, tape. and good to go. Duct tape the glove back together and head back. Got a nice scar in the bargain. Doctor removed the 2 pound, put 4 nylon stitches in, sent me home. Good job he said.

Unless you're in the middle of nowhere many hours from a hospital, suturing someone in an unsterilized environment is a bad idea. It's much easier and more effective (in the short run) to use an Israeli (pressure) bandage- it's simple to apply (even on yourself, if necessary), and is used by various military organizations to staunch blood flow caused by battlefield wounds. They're readily available in various sizes via eBay, and should be an essential part of any first aid kit.