What can I do with a motorbike with no green book?

Tapster

A guy who used to rent the house we live in left a Honda scooter here, saying he'd collect it later.

It's ten months later and we haven't seen or heard from him in that time.

Through a friend we have been able to contact him indirectly and he says we can keep the bike.

This is all very well but we don't have a key or the green book.

I don't want to ride the bike, I want to get rid of it, but what can I do with a bike with no key and no green book?

Suggestions, please.

wai.gif

If you find the right key cutting stall, they can make you a key - I don't know how, they start with a blank and just keep on going back to the lock and trying it, chipping away .. Ask about.

After that, someone out in the village will take it, they run them out my way on the palm oil or rubber tracks.

Take it to a CHOP SHOP, they'll use it for PARTS and you might make some money

Might also be a good idea to get some written form of Ownership Transfer from the guy who left it.... just in case !!

Edited by Torrens54

@bartender100

No, I need the key for that.

Why, what might I find?

Well you might find the green book? but without a signed of copy of the previous owners ID, you can't change the name in it anyway probably

If you have the Green Book you own it. Can pay the taxes and insure it no matter the name.

Many thanks to all contributors, even taninthai who offered to take the bike off my hands, for nothing!

I'll choose my words more carefully next time.

There are some good ideas.

@bluebluewater

This is what I was hoping to hear. So there is a market for an appropriately-priced bike with no green book. I'll look into that, thanks.

My main thrust will be to get in touch with the owner and see if I can't get the key and green book. It's a long shot as he seems to have disappeared off the scene, but worth a try as I can do a lot more with the key and green book.

Thanks again.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

@bartender100

Why, what might I find?

Well you might find the green book? but without a signed of copy of the previous owners ID, you can't change the name in it anyway probably

My friend bought a bike off a bar girl about five years ago, she dissapeared and can't be found so the bike just gets used as normal , never beeen stopped yet although my friend does not use it the family do.

Cant be regisrered without name change ID signed paper work apparently.

Sell the bike to locals and forget it or to parts place as advised.

@bartender100

Why, what might I find?

If you have the Green Book you own it. Can pay the taxes and insure it no matter the name.

Wrong williet98248, i have brought several 2nd hand bikes, to do it legally you must go to The Land Transport Office or an official agent and complete the paper work to transfer ownership which includes taking a copy of the engine/chaise number , and agreement from former owner, there is no other legal way

Edited by bartender100
  • Like 1

I didn't say anything about 'legally'. Or about changing the name. Or actually owning the MB. If you present a valid green book and the bike doesn't show up as stolen on the computer anyone can pay the tax and insurance. In eleven years of paying tax and insurance on my MB I have never been asked to prove who I am. Give them the GB, pay the money and pick up the new paperwork a few days later. The only time I have ever been at the LTO is to make a legal transfer. After that I have always used a local agent for the yearly tax and insurance. But, you are right; if this guy wants to actually legally own the bike he will have to jump through the hoops.

@bartender100

Why, what might I find?

Wrong williet98248, i have brought several 2nd hand bikes, to do it legally you must go to The Land Transport Office or an official agent and complete the paper work to transfer ownership which includes taking a copy of the engine/chaise number , and agreement from former owner, there is no other legal way

@bartender100

Why, what might I find?

A lot of people keep copies of the log book and ID under the seat.

First get a key cut so you can at least look.

I would also go to the Police and get a report.

Tell them the farang has left Thailand, left you the bike, but no ID or logbook.

With a Police report the DLT should issue a new book, in your name.

You can then sell it legally and get the best price.

Never happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Smash the ignition barrel with a screwdriver.

Ride it to a GoGo bar.

Get drunk and have a threesome with 3 lovely stunners.

Tell them you forgot to bring your wallet and they can keep your (friends) bike until you return.

Dont return.

Job done.

What a classic.........cant stop laughing......cheesy.gifcheesy.gif