Religious practice visa

Posting this question for a friend. She has some kind of education visa that she got with paperwork from the Wat (temple) that she's practicing at. She was under the impression she could extend or renew this visa in-country -- in fact some official told her so, only to subsequently turn her down.

So -- anyone know anything about these types of visas? Is there any way to avoid having to leave the country every 90 days?

I should also mention my friend is a lay woman; how would the situation change if she ordains as a nun?

The other one was deleted since this one showed a reply.

I have read that some embassies and consulates have been issuing non-ed visas instead of the non-r visa for religious studies.

Extensions of stay are allowed in this clause of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

"2.13 In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year. The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must have been confirmed and requested by the National Office of Buddhism, or Office of the Prune Minister, or Mahachulalongkomrajavidyalaya University, or Mahamakut Buddhist University.
(3) Must have been confirmed by the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities."
  • Like 1

The other one was deleted since this one showed a reply.

I have read that some embassies and consulates have been issuing non-ed visas instead of the non-r visa for religious studies.

Extensions of stay are allowed in this clause of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

"2.13 In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year. The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must have been confirmed and requested by the National Office of Buddhism, or Office of the Prune Minister, or Mahachulalongkomrajavidyalaya University, or Mahamakut Buddhist University.

(3) Must have been confirmed by the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities."

Thanks, Ubonjoe, for this detailed answer. I guess it comes down to the differences between a non-immigration ed visa and a non-immigration r (religious?) visa.

By the way, I've never understood why some non-immigration ed visas are good for one year (with 90 day extensions), whereas others are good for 90 days only.

The non-ed visa entry should be accepted to apply for an extension for studying Buddhism.

There is no difference between non-ed visas a far as being able to get extensions.

In order to get an extension for attending school requires documentation from a school and the the Ministry of Education. If attending a formal school it is possible to get a one year extension.