Prayuth Asks Kanchanaburi to Tone Down River Disco Parties

Jonathan Fairfield

Prayuth Asks Kanchanaburi to Tone Down River Disco Parties

14477632911447763390l.jpg

This is not a night club - it's a disco raft operated by Thaisaree. Photo: Thaisaree.com

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

Staff Reporter

KANCHANABURI — Head west from the capital for an idyllic weekend on the Khwae Noi river in Kanchanaburi province and discover a reality of serenity-blowing dance music screaming from an armada of floating disco barges.

Seeking to restore some tranquility, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said today he’s ordered authorities to see whether the party rafts there infringe on any laws or encroach on public lands to rein in their sonic impact.

“It must be reorganised to be sufficient,” he said, before floating a more specific solution. “Can the speakers be downsized?”

Prayuth said he didn’t want to be heavy handed about it.

holy jesus when the video started like 20 seconds into it i noticed that nobody was dancing standing around and then forwarded it half way and heard 70's disco music and saw their silly slow stepped dancing which wasn't due to having 2 left feet but more likely due to the fact that probably everyone on that boat had more than 1 foot in the grave. An old boat club catered solely to old people with old blaring music. How bizarre.

Another one to add to the list of the junta's achievement!

Agreed. It's one reason I don't go there any more. One night on the river listening to these things blasting out music till the wee hours was enough. We saw one going down with only 3-4 people on it. And ruining it for hundreds on the shore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HniLk9RM8XI

I visited the "Bridge on the River Kwai" in 1974 and there was nothing there but the bridge and the cemetery - a very moving experience. I went back a couple of years ago and the bridge was covered with colored lights and these disgusting boats were sailing under it. I couldn't stand being there for a minute. What a disgraceful insult to the poor sods who suffered and died building that railroad - many Thais included.

Don't just turn down the volume - ban them, This is hallowed ground

Edited by phuketandsee

but i really love sitting on the balcony by the river watching some of the best sunsets in thailand while my ears are assulted by screaming thai karaoke boats, it makes me feel like im back in pattaya where thais drive around with 30 speakers screwed to the OUTSIDE of a vehicle so i can check out the shit they play all night....

I visited the "Bridge on the River Kwai" in 1974 and there was nothing there but the bridge and the cemetery - a very moving experience. I went back a couple of years ago and the bridge was covered with colored lights and these disgusting boats were sailing under it. I couldn't stand being there for a minute. What a disgraceful insult to the poor sods who suffered and died building that railroad - many Thais included.

Don't just turn down the volume - ban them, This is hallowed ground

The Thais aren't known for their class/sensitivity ..

We are there now. Staying in a resort by the river. Yes the disco boats are noisy.

For two of the last three nights there has been a 'boom boom' noise until 3am from the resort next door. Something definately needs sorting.

Kanch is getting spoilt .. Phu Tub Berg is going the same way but for a different reason

Edited by JAS21

These disco boats are a disaster. Loud music, often hip hop till whole night till 6 am... Also horrendus are the engines of long tail boats without proper exhaust going through the national park... Forget about a quiet week end in Saï Yok national park or Kanchanaburi... It's like a truck going over your raft guesthouse, from morning tI'll evening. For me Kanchanaburi is of the list. It has been hijacked by selfish noise makers. Never again!

What a pity.

We stayed four nights recently at a hotel very close to the water as seen in the photo below and didn't hear any noise at all at night.

We found Kanchanaburi to be a delightful city. I was really surprised to find it lacked the traffic congestion found in most Thai cities even though it's a tourist destination.

post-86619-0-66727800-1447821103_thumb.j

Noisy disco rafts in Kanchanaburi facing clampdown soon

297-wpcf_728x409.jpg

KANCHANABURI: -- Noisy disco rafts along the Kwai Yai and Kwai Noi rivers in Kanchanaburi province is annoying the prime minister with instruction to relevant government agencies to look into the issue seriously.

If they are found to defy the existing laws and regulations, they will be all evicted or dismantled.

This was what Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha voiced his concern over the sprouting of so many “disco rafts” in Kanchanaburi.

He said disco raft has been a long standing problem which has left unsolved and now he has ordered local administration officials to look into the problem seriously whether such business is violating any law and regulation.

He said if the business is found to violate the law, operators will be told to stop and their disco rafts evicted.

As far as he had seen such disco rafts are everywhere in the river and they had dumped garbages and filthy things into the river, he said.

He expected resistance from visitors to these places who only think of their joys and happiness.

However he said it needs to be reorganised, such as reducing noises of their music.

Disco rafts on rivers in Kanchanaburi are popular among tourists visiting the province.

There are more than 450 rafts in Muang district, 200 of them rock and dance party spots, while the remainder are floating hotels and floating restaurants.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/noisy-disco-rafts-in-kanchanaburi-facing-clampdown-soon

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-18

Can you also please have a listen to the Ark Bar on Koh Samui whilst you are at it please Mr PM - thank you! Oh, and the Wharf on a Friday Night please and various Wats that blair out music as loud as they like, without fear of being asked to turn it down. I think this is what is called "Thainess".