Work Permit Renewal

I have a work permit which will expire this May 1st. My contract with my old teaching job will be formally terminated on April 12. The school has already given me the release paper (form 10). According to the Labour Office I have 15 days from cessation date to return the WP book. Another school is going to hire me and my new contract will start this May 1st also. Therefore we would just like to extend my present WP book and just change the location or place of work. Is this possible? It would definitely save us a lot of paperwork if we can do this and not have to start over. I'll appreciate your advise or any experience you can share along this line. Thanks!

If your new school is within the same district as your previous school, then, there's a good chance that they'd just ask for new documents pertaining to your new workplace in addition to the ones you've already submitted.

Otherwise, you'ld have to surrender your old work permit and apply for a new one in the district where your new school is located. Mind you that requirements although "uniform" tend to vary from one district to another, depending on the mood of these civil servants. So it is most likely that you'ld have to start from scratch.

Be reminded that your visa is co-terminous with your work permit. From what I understand (I may be wrong), you are given 7 days for which to process your new work permit after the old one has been cancelled.

Chok dee! :o

Bonzi

Thank you Bonsaimax! My new workplace is in the same province as the old one so hopefully the Labour Office will act favorably & just renew my existing WP. You're likely right on the 7 days though when my school & I questioned the LO guys on this, they at both occasions said 15 days. I even quoted to them the 7 days rule written on the back of the WP book. So, I am a bit unsure on the issue. Anyway, can't be too safe so we will apply for the change of location within the 7 days time frame and Songkran week at that.