Honda Civic 2016 Review

Ace of Pop

The 1.5 Turbos is the better model.. 0-60 mph in 6.5 seconds.. No reason to buy The slower 2.0 non turbo engine.. There is a graphic somewhere of the new Tax rules.. I'll try to find it and put it on here.. It shows no change in cost from the old law to the new Tax law..

As I mentioned, I've looked into this closely and there are changes, some positive, some negative. For example my Civic 2.0 E20 rated would actually be 5% more expensive then before. Plenty of topics in the motor forum saying the same thing.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

That's the Graphic I was looking for.. Thanks for pulling it out.. It's a near to nothing rise.. 5% is not a lot especially as the car cost no more than the old model to build.. An extra 60000 baht for a better looking car I'd pay any day.. Do you have any info when the car will be realeased here in Thailand?

My last search a few days ago indicates, 1st quarter or later, 2017. sad.png

The one thing I'm not sure I'm going to like and they did away with the double deck cluster. My previous car had a HUD display for speed and critical info and one of several reasons why I went with the last generation civic. I found it to be a great safety feature as I don't spend anytime looking in the cockpit. I'm sure some will doubt its advantage but you have to use one for a while to appreciate it. At least it is a digital speedometer which is good IMO.

The one thing I'm not sure I'm going to like and they did away with the double deck cluster. My previous car had a HUD display for speed and critical info and one of several reasons why I went with the last generation civic. I found it to be a great safety feature as I don't spend anytime looking in the cockpit. I'm sure some will doubt its advantage but you have to use one for a while to appreciate it. At least it is a digital speedometer which is good IMO.

Will be interesting to see the price difference.. Will Thailand Bump up the price unlike North America where some of the new models are cheaper than the old ones.. Early 2017 that's ruined my Day I was hoping mid 2016,, thanks for the info.

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/2016-honda-civic-be-greenest-long-line-low-emission-inovations

If you read this about the emissions of the 10 generation Hondas then I highly doubt you will be paying more.. Look at the emissions it's an incredible piece of engineering :-)

Really hope so, the 1.5 I would say a certainty. I know Honda has really been pushing 'green' for a while now including their factories.

The coupe version has not been engineered for RHD markets. We'll get the sedan and hatch versions only.

Are you sure about that? Why would Honda not engineer the coupe for it's home market?

The Civic Coupe is developed primarily for the North American market (USA and Canada).

Asian and Eastern European markets will get the Civic Sedan seen here, while North American markets will get all Civic models including a Civic Coupe, except the Civic Tourer and Civic Type-R hatchback.

The Civic Type-R Sedan is yet to be confirmed for Asian markets.

Read more at http://www.carlist.my/news/all-new-2016-honda-civic-heres-what-we-know-so-far/21716#JORcdtS7HMZrm1Dd.99

The coupe version has not been engineered for RHD markets. We'll get the sedan and hatch versions only.

Are you sure about that? Why would Honda not engineer the coupe for it's home market?

The Civic Coupe is developed primarily for the North American market (USA and Canada).

Asian and Eastern European markets will get the Civic Sedan seen here, while North American markets will get all Civic models including a Civic Coupe, except the Civic Tourer and Civic Type-R hatchback.

The Civic Type-R Sedan is yet to be confirmed for Asian markets.

Read more at http://www.carlist.my/news/all-new-2016-honda-civic-heres-what-we-know-so-far/21716#JORcdtS7HMZrm1Dd.99

They will get the civic Si also but we probably won't.. I don't think they are getting the Type R in the U.S .. The UK is definetly getting it as it's being made in Swindon or that's what I've read..

I drive a 3lt clonker and that's as quiet as a mouse if you compare it to the new Civic. I do like the bit that it's lower than before should enable me to see over them at what's going on ahead even better than I do now.

Ok for what it is I suppose a small cramped 4 seat car. Ideal for a young family.

The sedan is already being sold in North America so it's earlier than thought.. Hopefully we will get it in 2016 here in Thailand

Yeah, when I was living there the newest models always came out around September for the next year models. So 2015 sales for the 2016 models is pretty normal for the US. Australia announced sometime in 2016. There was an earlier topic on this subject that I found an article indicating 2016 for Thailand then another article saying 2017. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/844846-honda-civic/ BP speculates since the Thai version will be the same as the US (sedan) version it may be released early next year. Quite confusing trying to get that information and so far mostly speculation. So sometime between now and end of 2017 expect to see it in Thailand. biggrin.png

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/2016-honda-civic-be-greenest-long-line-low-emission-inovations

If you read this about the emissions of the 10 generation Hondas then I highly doubt you will be paying more.. Look at the emissions it's an incredible piece of engineering :-)

The torquenews article has no specifics.

Motortrend http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-honda-civic-first-test-review/ quote CO2 emission of 0.55 lb/mile CO2 = 155 gm/km.

If that's true, Tax rate will increase from 22% for the current model now to 30% for the new engine after 2016 assuming it continues to be an E85 drinker.

+8% tax = more than 8% price increase unless Honda cut cost elsewhere.

If the turbo has no thirst for E85, +5% more tax.

Interesting the turbo is only available with a CVT in the US so far.

Edited by Jitar

My son-in law checked out the price of a Jazz here and in UK. The UK price was nearly 7000 UKP cheaper! Why?

From honda.co.uk

Top spec Jazz 1.3 EX navi CVT priced at 17,425 GBP = 956,000 THB

Entry model Jazz 1.3 S manual priced at 13,495 GBP = 740,900 THB

From honda.co.th

Top spec Jazz 1.5 SV+ CVT 754,000 THB

Entry model Jazz 1.5 S manual 555,000 THb

That's 3600 GBP more for the UK models. Are you sure your son-in-law is ready to buy a car if he cannot do a basic currency conversion?

I think the 2016 Focus sedan is a looker - I've never been much of a fan of the hatchback version though. The 2016 Civic, if coming to TH in US form, is easily the best looking sedan Honda has ever made though. It's got some really nice lines and highlights. The Ford is likely to have the better chassis dynamics and engine though. Mazda's do look incredibly good on the outside, but that exterior styling compromises the interior space, and their interior designs are all just the same idea re-hashed. I have real issues with their interior noise levels too, but I also admit I'm very sensitive to that.

I suppose we should spare a thought for the Corolla Altis in the conversation too... OK, yep, that was a bad idea tongue.png

I notice road noise in many new cars too. The Everest and new C Class are notable exceptions but most of the Nissans, Mazdas and Hondas I have been in are not quiet. Low profile tyres don't help but the sound insulation is just not set up for rough asphalt. PITA on a long trip.

The Accord is actually OK now as well - which fixes the biggest issue I've always had with that model. In previous generations, it was difficult to hold a normal conversation at just 100km/hr on a concrete highway.

Oh Dear an American that doesnt know Turbo's thrive in E85, thats why they convert their Drifters to E85. Honda's are all 85ers now. Id be happy with that Touring one in the Redline review,even in Red. Well perhaps not red.

If you are referring to my post, I'm not American and yes I know some turbos run on E85 but I also know some do not.

I estimated the tax change with and with out E85 because I've not seen any comments whether the new engine drinks the stuff.

If Honda are clever they may re-tune the engine below 150 gm/km and use E85 to keep the tax down and profit up.

Edited by Jitar

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 2016 Focus sedan is a looker - I've never been much of a fan of the hatchback version though. The 2016 Civic, if coming to TH in US form, is easily the best looking sedan Honda has ever made though. It's got some really nice lines and highlights. The Ford is likely to have the better chassis dynamics and engine though. Mazda's do look incredibly good on the outside, but that exterior styling compromises the interior space, and their interior designs are all just the same idea re-hashed. I have real issues with their interior noise levels too, but I also admit I'm very sensitive to that.

I suppose we should spare a thought for the Corolla Altis in the conversation too... OK, yep, that was a bad idea tongue.png

Been seen testing in Thailand LINK

Think I'll reserve judgement on the new civics looks until the real thing turns up. Somehow the top photo in the link doesn't make it look that good. Is this the same as the US version?

The front quarter shape with the swoop of the front wheel arch looks similar to the current Nissan and Mazda small car styling.

Edited by Jitar