A haven for transgenders in Pattaya

webfact

A haven for transgenders
THE NATION

30273272-02_big.jpg

NETWORK OFFERS FRIENDSHIP, EDUCATION AND SUPPORT TO AT-RISK COMMUNITY IN PATTAYA

PATTAYA: -- THE SUN is starting to dip low over the horizon as Prayune Sawangnam steps into the Sisters Foundation's brightly decorated offices.

The non-profit organisation provides health, education and support services to the transgender community in Pattaya. Prayune, with her neat bun and long flowing dress, is treated respectfully by other transgender women who have gathered.

"Prayune is a 'Mama', an important leader in the transgender community whom other members view as a mother. She is someone other TGs go to for advice," said foundation director Thitiyanun "Doi" Nakpor-Doi.

Today, Prayune comes to give a lesson on healthy cooking, which is a spicy chicken noodle salad. "I come to Sisters because it's a friendly place where I can meet friends and share experiences," she said. The cooking lesson is part of the foundation's regular Friday night activities and it is followed by an interactive talk on sexual health by Doi.

"We link up with transgender leaders and host these activities, mixing fun, friendship and health awareness regularly. These non-threatening sessions initially attract community members, who are reluctant to go to clinics," Doi said. The foundation also offered health services including hormone replacement therapy counselling, HIV counselling and testing.

In the popular resort city of Pattaya, with its booming nightlife and a centre for transgender activity in Thailand, transgender women often work in the entertainment industry as waitresses, hostesses, performers and sex workers. UNAids new Country Snapshot of Thailand finds HIV prevalence among transgender women was 12.7 per cent based on epidemiological surveys at five sites in 2014.

UNAids finds transgender women are 49 times more likely to acquire HIV than adults of reproductive age.

"Today, stigma and violence towards transgender people and other HIV-risked populations are the main barriers to stopping HIV," said Steve Kraus, Director of UNAids Regional Support Team for Asia and the Pacific.

"We need to expand community-led approaches to the delivery of health services, as many find their peers less stigmatising than professionals."

The Sisters' programme was developed with support from the United States Agency for International Development under the US President's Emergency Fund for Aids Relief and other donors. The programme is one of a handful in the region to provide health services exclusively to transgender people in a community setting.

"The programme is run by transgender people for transgender people. Most staff and volunteers are from the community," said Doi.

"In the past we distributed condoms and talked about HIV, but that didn't work. Even if transgender people knew how, they weren't using condoms."

Foundation staffers went to the Pattaya red-light district regularly to distribute condoms and promote HIV awareness among sex workers. Often many women they connect with on the streets visit the group for health services.

Despite the risk of HIV infection, studies find only about a third know their status. "Most transgender people fear having an HIV test because they don't like needles, they are afraid of the result and they don't think they are at risk, " said Pannui Thatpaiboon, as she waited to consult with a Sisters' transgender nurse to have a blood test.

From its cheerful reception area to its solicitous staff, Sisters makes HIV testing as comfortable as possible. The HIV testing drop-in hours are from 1pm to 7pm Monday through Friday, convenient for clients who often work at night.

Pitak Katekongkoy, a licensed transgender nurse, provides pre-counselling and a rapid HIV test, which shows results in less than an hour.

If a person is reactive on a first rapid test, they will undergo further confirmatory tests. Once an HIV positive result is confirmed, a member of the foundation team will accompany the person to a local health facility for HIV treatment. In this way, the foundation is helping to link transgender people with established health systems, which they often resist visiting.

The foundation has expanded from 250 clients in 2006 to over 500 in 2014. In that year, it conducted over 500 rapid HIV tests with nearly 50 people testing positive. That's almost four times the number of people tested in 2009. Once a month, staffers visit Pattaya's famous cabarets, where performers are transgender people and provide outreach education and HIV testing.

"I strongly believe Sisters is a good example and we need more services specifically for transgender people in the region," said Natt Kraipet, network coordinator of the Asia-Pacific Transgender Network.

- This report, from UNAids to mark World Aids Day on December 1, sheds light on efforts to achieve the goal of ending Aids by 2030.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/A-haven-for-transgenders-30273272.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-19

facepalm.gif They should sort out their sister nut cases who roam the beach in pairs after dark to rob or lure drunk 'customers' .

OK more fool the drunks but these 'blokes' are strong not sissy at all and have a knife for sure along with the dangerous stiletto heels used as a weapon.

I think there are more bad Katoys in Pattaya than good ones.

It's that kinda town!!

facepalm.gif They should sort out their sister nut cases who roam the beach in pairs after dark to rob or lure drunk 'customers' .

OK more fool the drunks but these 'blokes' are strong not sissy at all and have a knife for sure along with the dangerous stiletto heels used as a weapon.

It's that kinda town!!

+1

scum bags of beach road and walking street

Pattaya used to be a fun town in the early nineties. Over the last 10 years its degenerated .

There are so many more options available now for pretty isan girls. Pattaya definitely isnt one of them and it shows.

Lady boys used to be prohibited from entering beer bars but now theyre a regular feature in bars and gogo bars and snooker /pool rooms..

<deleted>

The sex-tourist lament.

"Over the last 10 years its degenerated .

There are so many more options available now for pretty isan girls. "

"Lady boys used to be prohibited from entering beer bars ..."

Well, there goes the neighborhood. Next they'll want to ride at the front of the bus and mingle with the higher class sex tourists.

Good on them. Of course there are bad ones in TG..... s/he is trying to make a difference and most of the posts whingeing about the bad ones. I am sure there are also some good honest bar girls somewhere in Pattaya. There are many ways to be relieved of one's money, and don't all involve violence...

If this transgenders office is so good why do they rob and steal every night in Pattaya. I know a few really good transgender who tell me the rest steal and kill to pay for there operations and there drug addictions. A lot of mixed up transgenders walking the streets of Pattaya. Beware farangs who want to vacation in Pattaya!

It's that kinda town!!

I know quite a few katoys in Pattaya, and I never had any trouble with them.

Back to normal in Pattaya then after all the money raised by the LB Water polo teams. I did like the Dirt flee bag in the pic.

If you find Pattaya normal, please stay there.

Was there 8 years ago and have no intention of ever going back.

but you cant stop reading about the place .

It's that kinda town!!

Just wondering why we don't have such problems in lower northeast? And too many people here really believe that living in Pattaya seems to be "the one and only way of life?"

Na Haa. thumbsup.gif

If this transgenders office is so good why do they rob and steal every night in Pattaya. I know a few really good transgender who tell me the rest steal and kill to pay for there operations and there drug addictions. A lot of mixed up transgenders walking the streets of Pattaya. Beware farangs who want to vacation in Pattaya!

"I know a few really good transgender who tell me the rest would steal and kill to pay for their operations and their drug addiction."

Maybe they offer some help for them but many do not want any help and continue to find customers like you?

The ones you have sex with seem to be the good ones, but all the others are the bad ones? Arrai Waa?

"A lot of "mixed up transgenders" walking the streets of Pattaya? Beware farangs who want to vacation in Pattaya?

I don't understand your last sentences, are you saying Beware of farangs? I give up.

It's that kinda town!!

Just wondering why we don't have such problems in lower northeast? And too many people here really believe that living in Pattaya seems to be "the one and only way of life?"

Na Haa. thumbsup.gif

Quite a few further north of your location.

Seems most of them tried the more tourist areas without success.

Why they think they are going to fare any better further north is anyone's guess ?

Back to normal in Pattaya then after all the money raised by the LB Water polo teams. I did like the Dirt flee bag in the pic.

If you find Pattaya normal, please stay there.

Was there 8 years ago and have no intention of ever going back.

Was there 8 months ago and have every intention of going back.

My ex teelak has sister who ladyboy.

I have never been there but it is presentable.

reminder of the following forum rule;

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.