Marriage Visa Extension Question

I have lived in Bangkok for many years but have recently moved to Chayaphum. Can I still do my annual extension in Bangkok or do I have to do it in Khon Kaen which is where I had to do my recent 90 day report of address?

The reason I asked is that the officer at KK immigration tried to scam me out of 1000Baht when I did the report and then overheard me telling my wife he was playing games with us. I am a little concerned he will give me a problem if I end up in front of him again. Never a single problem doing it at Chang Wattana and as I go to Bangkok regularly the trip is OK.

Thanks for any advice.

You can only apply for an extension of stay at the assigned office for where you are living.

Would you have firm proof of residence in Bangkok to prove you are living there. You would need at least a rental agreement as proof?

Why do you think they were trying to scam you out of 1000 baht?

Was he trying to sell you a re-entry permit? I'm sure you know what you are doing, sorry, just that 1,000 baht made me recall the IOs in my office tend to ask me if I want to do the re-entry stamp when I go to pick up my final annual extension.

• Like 1

You can only apply for an extension of stay at the assigned office for where you are living.

Would you have firm proof of residence in Bangkok to prove you are living there. You would need at least a rental agreement as proof?

Why do you think they were trying to scam you out of 1000 baht?

He said it was to cover the cost of setting things up for me to do the next report by mail which i know you can do for free. When I mentioned the online reporting he said that wasn't working anymore and would not be back in time for my next report. My wife said he noticed when I used the word "game" as an aside to her. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it especially in such a small office where I may well be remembered for doing so. Pretty sure his boss wouldn't do bugger all anyway as he is probably due a cut of such things.

I gave up my Bangkok apt. a couple of months ago and only have a yellow tabien ban for my village house in Isaan.

Edited by somo
  • Like 1

I would not worry about doing your extension there. He might not even be the one that processes your application.

Online reporting is certainly working in Khon Kaen There was a post done today in the pinned topic about them of doing one there.

I would not worry about doing your extension there. He might not even be the one that processes your application.

Online reporting is certainly working in Khon Kaen There was a post done today in the pinned topic about them of doing one there.

Yeah not a big deal but if it was a possibility would have preferred doing it in Bangkok where I have never had a hint of a problem in 15 years. I remember reading a while back on here that others had had similar experiences at the KK office and it is disappointing nothing has been done. If the gov was serious about preventing extortion then they should set up some sort of feedback system where complaints can be aired. Could be quite effective.

I remember ages ago they had a Taksin ordered purge on such things when I did an extension at Suan Plu. I was asked to volunteer for feedback on the extension I had just applied for. One big brass general and 2 officers interviewed us for over an hour and the main theme was "have you been asked for any money to smooth your application" It could have taken just 5 mins but all was painstakenly written down and double checked. They sure love their paperwork.

Oh well, thanks for your help anyway.