in pursuit of Cambodia

gingerandtabby

NO. Car must be in your name or the owner must be with car. No rentail car or financed car are allowed.

Letter of consent, owners ID, and the book works too.. Lots of bike rentals do it from here. One of mine is in the old ladys name and I have taken it all around the region, never been an issue.

The big issue is getting a rental company to give you the paperwork. 90% wont. certainly budget, hertz and those chains wont.

NO. Car must be in your name or the owner must be with car. No rentail car or financed car are allowed.

Letter of consent, owners ID, and the book works too.. Lots of bike rentals do it from here. One of mine is in the old ladys name and I have taken it all around the region, never been an issue.

The big issue is getting a rental company to give you the paperwork. 90% wont. certainly budget, hertz and those chains wont.

They do that down hear but he is asking about a car and thats not going to happen.

100% No for a rental car. If ASEAN ever results in freedom of movement, maybe but until then not a chance I'm afraid.

Well they will let it cross.. Crossing with a vehicle not your name is not a problem.. The issue is finding a rental company that gives you the book to let you cross (laos used to accept a photocopy of book but recently thats off and on)..

If you rent from a friend or place you have a connection with.. Then its possible.

I love the fact that you are hellbent on driving into Cambodia but really feel that i should tune you into what is reality!

Firstly, you will be challenged at the border especially if it is Poipet. #7 KR controls that area and the cost of admission is steep. (think Mafia families subdividing the country up following the civil war)

Secondly, you enter a realm of high risk whether driving your own vehicle or taking alternative means. - insurance ?

Thirdly, you are going to miss the whole show! you will be driving blindly to who knows where and miss out on who knows what and how they live.

I lived there for a year. I loved it.

Go slow!

and enjoy!

I love the fact that you are hellbent on driving into Cambodia but really feel that i should tune you into what is reality!

Firstly, you will be challenged at the border especially if it is Poipet. #7 KR controls that area and the cost of admission is steep. (think Mafia families subdividing the country up following the civil war)

Secondly, you enter a realm of high risk whether driving your own vehicle or taking alternative means. - insurance ?

Thirdly, you are going to miss the whole show! you will be driving blindly to who knows where and miss out on who knows what and how they live.

I lived there for a year. I loved it.

Go slow!

and enjoy!

In my opinion you are taking a bigger chance driving in Cambodia than Thailand. They know the right side of the road to drive on but I doubt if they even have a traffic code.

Personally I could never make out the reason for driving a 1 million baht + Thai registered vehicle of any kind into Cambodia just to have chest betting bragging rights. You have no insurance and if you thank Thailand is corrupt Cambodia is on steroids. As for driving in the country the only thing on the highway from Chong Chom/O'Smach to Siem Reap is a water buffalo or two. BTW There is a new air con 24 seat bus service (brand new buses) that runs 3 time per day from Chong Chom to SR both directions for 350 baht each way, 3 hour trip.

Edited by khwaibah

Love the sense of adventure of a road trip. I've driven across to Laos in my van and went where and when I pleased with my bicycle in back and occasionally 1/2 a local hill tribe, farm animals and all!

Will do Cambodia next with my 6 family members. Another of many good reasons to take ones own vehicle.

Do I worry about missing something? Quite the contrary, taking those turns down an unfamiliar road just because something down it might be interesting is part of the adventure. And since I often do find cool things always the highlight of my journeys.

Love the sense of adventure of a road trip. I've driven across to Laos in my van and went where and when I pleased with my bicycle in back and occasionally 1/2 a local hill tribe, farm animals and all!

Will do Cambodia next with my 6 family members. Another of many good reasons to take ones own vehicle.

Do I worry about missing something? Quite the contrary, taking those turns down an unfamiliar road just because something down it might be interesting is part of the adventure. And since I often do find cool things always the highlight of my journeys.

Agreed I just like driving my own vehicles.. No one elses schedule, no one elses timetable, no waiting or queuing, the ability to simply divert any time you see something interesting.. Stop at the food stall that looks like its worth a look.

Been all over this bit of Asia from the Singapore border to the Chinese border.. And the day I can get my truck or bike into Myanmar without a forced tour guide and pre determined schedule there will be another chunk to go look at.

Had to hire vehicles to do Indonesia and Vietnam but again, not doing public transport.

Are you sure about the policy of driving in Burma? I'm not but have heard differently.

I hope to go one day too by four wheels,

I've bicycled inside the country before and am considering a MTB race in Yagoon next month, but would need to know about road conditions etc before heading over in my 2 wheel drive vehicle.

What do you mean ??

You can currently get vehicles into Myanmar if you pre apply, use a local registered tour company, and have the itenirary pre booked and registered, and your accompanied by the tour guide (so need to pay for their vehicle) much like the China situation. Of course theres still conflict areas like Shan state, and also the far northern mountains where security issues or government restrictions wont let you go even then.

Unless anyone can say differently (and I am regularly on the HUBB and the asian touring forums) there is no easy simple free roaming ability in a non Burmese vehicle. One or two people have crossed the borders in the last 10 or so years, mostly from the Bangladeshi side, with either ministers letters, or random chance, but the 'system' as it stands doesnt allow it.

I wait eagerly for that to change.