Korean honeymooner dies after diving lesson at Koh Hei

webfact

Korean honeymooner dies after diving lesson
Phuket Gazette

o.jpeg
The Korean woman had only spent a few minutes with a tank strapped to her back at a depth of about one meter, the tour operator explained. Photo: Matt Kieffer

PHUKET: -- Officials are investigating the death of a Korean honeymooner who died after an introductory diving lesson at Koh Hei on Tuesday.

Hyunju Ahn, 36, was in about one meter of water with her new husband Minchul Shin, 33, when she informed instructors that she was having trouble.

“Diving instructors and staff helped Ms Ahn out of the water. She fell unconscious shortly after getting to shore,” Capt Wuttiwat Liang-boonjinda of the Chalong Police said.

Ms Ahn was taken to Phuket Provincial Administration (OrBorJor) Hospital and later transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

“We are currently investigating the cause of death,” Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office, told the Phuket Gazette today.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Korean-honeymooner-dies-diving-lesson/62391?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-19

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The air cylinder and demand valve she was using need to be checked. Was there any air at all, at the right pressure? Slack refilling procedures with unsuitable equipment can also allow carbon monoxide to get into the cylinder.

Hearing about other unsafe holiday "accidents" are a worry in Thailand.

Korean woman dies on try dive trip off Phuket
The Phuket News

1447918808_1-org.jpg
36-year-old Hyunju Ahn died whilst on a try dive trip to Koh Hae.

PHUKET: -- A Korean woman died during a try dive at Koh Hae on Tuesday (Nov 17). Police are currently investigating the case and are awaiting doctors to confirm the true cause of death.

Chalong police received a call at around midday on Tuesday in which it was stated that a Korean tourist had fallen unconscious while on diving trip to Koh Hae and was being transported to Chalong Pier.

The victim, 36-year-old Hyunju Ahn, was initially taken to Phuket City Hospital but transferred to Vachira Hospital where she was pronounced death on arrival.

Ms Hyunju’s husband, Mr.Minchul Shin, 33, went to Chalong Police Station with a member of staff from Nikorn Marine, the tour company they were on the trip with, to gave an account of the incident.

Mr Minchul told police that they left Chalong Pier at 7am. When they arrived at Koh Hae, Ms Hyunju got into the water whilst he was getting changed. Suddenly Ms Hyunju gave a signal that she was having problems.

She was pulled onto the boat but collapsed and fell unconscious. First aid was given to Ms Hyunju prior to being taken to Chalong Pier where an ambulance was waiting.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/korean-woman-dies-on-try-dive-trip-off-phuket-55038.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-19

Yet another easily preventable diving student death in Thailand, I'll bet. Another one will die in a couple of months. No introduction of safety culture. No repercussions for dive schools. No enforcement by the professional organisations or the legal authorities. All industry stakeholders only interested in sweeping these events under the carpet and keeping any publicity down to an absolute minimum.

Yet another easily preventable diving student death in Thailand, I'll bet. Another one will die in a couple of months. No introduction of safety culture. No repercussions for dive schools. No enforcement by the professional organisations or the legal authorities. All industry stakeholders only interested in sweeping these events under the carpet and keeping any publicity down to an absolute minimum.

I agree, with so many of these preventable deaths being covered up here.

36 year old fit young women to not "get into difficulty" in one meter of water.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

2. Was she introduced to the safe use of Scuba gear within the confines of a swimming pool prior to being "dumped" into the ocean ?

3. Was the equipment used well maintained and "fit for purpose"

4. Did an instructor enter the water with or immediately before the lady ?

These questions and probably more need to be answered.

Condolences from me to the ladies husband and her family.

That's sad, hard to imagine what caused her death at so young an age.

Having a problem in 1 meter of water? ....... stand up.

my bet is something to do with the way the Thai's filled her air tank! happens when they don't know or care what they are doing. lousey unsafe equipment, etc:

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

2. Was she introduced to the safe use of Scuba gear within the confines of a swimming pool prior to being "dumped" into the ocean ?

1. Technically, as absurd as it sounds, you don't have to be able to swim to be able to dive. Your BCD keeps you afloat. All you have to do is paddle and breathe.

2. I'm sure she would've had a basic introduction to scuba gear.

3. Diving equipment is technically very safe. It's a pressurised tank with an airflow through a regulator. There is very little that can go wrong with it.

In my experience, it sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning. If an idiot is smoking around the compressor whilst refilling the tanks you will get high toxic levels of carbon monoxide pressurised within the air. When somebody breathes that in it becomes incredibly poisonous. The only other explanation is that the dive company are lying and she was much deeper prior to being at 1 meter. She may have panicked and rushed to the surface too quickly and got bent.

An absolutely tragic thing to happen to a young married couple and something that could easily have been avoided. My thoughts and prayers are with her distraught husband and family. Very sad indeed

Edited by fatwax

I don't know what happened to her, but I almost lost my foot on a dive boat in Koh Tao on September 16. And I am a Master Scuba Diver. The way they had it rigged up to get on was not the least bit safe. I could have just as easily fallen off the plank and been smashed between the boat and the pier. I had to get 10 stitches in my big toe and I had to cue the dive shop to pay that initial 6000 baht. Now I am back in the States getting therapy for the big hole that is in the bottom of my foot. They added the skin graft yesterday. 4 more weeks and I should be able to walk again. Lucky I am a veteran or there is no telling how much all this would have cost ME. I think that was my last time going diving in Thailand.

Diving is essentially a dangerous sport. People die. It can be because of faulty equipment, it can also be because of some pre-existing condition of her, or other reasons. Let's wait for the outcome of investigation before we throw dirt at the scuba school.

Nice one traveller, I have to say that under the circumstances, did she have a dive medical ?

Did as a previous poster wrote have a dive instructor in the water with her at the time she enteted the water?

Who did the buddy check ?

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

1. Technically, as absurd as it sounds, you don't have to be able to swim to be able to dive. Your BCD keeps you afloat. All you have to do is paddle and breathe.

3. Diving equipment is technically very safe. It's a pressurised tank with an airflow through a regulator. There is very little that can go wrong with it.

In my experience, it sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning. If an idiot is smoking around the compressor whilst refilling the tanks you will get high toxic levels of carbon monoxide pressurised within the air. When somebody breathes that in it becomes incredibly poisonous. The only other explanation is that the dive company are lying and she was much deeper prior to being at 1 meter. She may have panicked and rushed to the surface too quickly and got bent.

An absolutely tragic thing to happen to a young married couple and something that could easily have been avoided. My thoughts and prayers are with her distraught husband and family. Very sad indeed

I am not sure what "in my experience" is.

Normally the air intake to the compressor will be a pipe fed from outside.

You would probably have to have a team of chain smokers breather directly into the intake to appreciably increase the CO levels. Indeed as CO rapidly binds with haemoglobin I wonder what levels of CO are present in the exhalations. Smokers have way higher levels of CO in the blood than non smokers and they are not dying of CO poisoning. The only cases of CO poisoning I have heard about is when the intake was inadvertently sucking in exhaust fumes from a motor. The signs being massive headaches and feeling sick.

A "try diver"would be taken to a maximum depth of 12 metres, where the partial pressure is only twice that at the surface.

Unless the poor woman had some pre-existing medical condition, the most likely diving related issue could be a rapid ascent when holding her breath. This does not lead to the "bends"which is caused by N2 bubbles forming after a long and deep dive, but leads to a lung over-expansion injury, which can cause a pneumothorax or air embolism.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

A pre requirement of PADI COURSES !

"To enroll in a PADI Scuba Diver course (or Junior Scuba Diver course), you must be 10 years old or older. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health."

Check for yourself !

Can you also provide links to evidence of "carbon monoxide poisoning" being the cause of a scuba diving death anywhere in the world ?

Stand up? I bet the poor woman never thought of that.

Not easy wearing flippers and a tank, especially if you are horizontal to begin with.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

As a Padi certified Advanced Open Water diver, I have my doubts about this happening only being in 1 metre of water.

Point 1. Most likely not.

Point 2. Most likely not

Point 3. We'll never know. That will definitely be covered up.

Point 4. Possibly, but unlikely, because if they were in only 1 metre of water he would have made her stand up.

A dive boat from a properly certified dive company would not anchor in water that shallow.

I've been on 1 day dive trips (boat dives) in Thailand and some of the dive schools in Thailand DO NOT ascertain whether a prospective student can swim, especially with intro courses. I've seen Chinese and Koreans enter the water from the boat and even with an inflated BCD, they cannot float on their backs or tread water without panicking. When they are helped back into the boat they are asked if they can swim and they say NO. They are then asked why they said YES on the forms they complete prior to diving.

At least with a proper dive course, Open Water or more advanced, the student has to pass a swim test first. "Try Diving" to the best of my knowledge does not do this. However, it's apparent from the hospital report that there was no water in her lungs so she did not drown. Which leaves either faulty equipment or a medical condition that was not declared on the paperwork waiving all responsibility from the dive boat operators, or she was in water much deeper than 1 metre and either surfaced to quickly and/or no safety stop because she panicked.

But again, if she was only in 1 metre of water, she should have just stood up.

Condolences to her husband and family.

Edited by TigerandDog

Too many Instructors working illegally in Thailand, no regulation of the industry, dive shops not having proper setups for filling, its about time they cleaned this industry up if they are serious about tourism.

There are hardly any Deco chambers in Thailand too, so if you are a serious diver and plan diving there make sure you have your DAN insurance paid up.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

As a Padi certified Advanced Open Water diver, I have my doubts about this happening only being in 1 metre of water.

Point 1. Most likely not.

Point 2. Most likely not

Point 3. We'll never know. That will definitely be covered up.

Point 4. Possibly, but unlikely, because if they were in only 1 metre of water he would have made her stand up.

A dive boat from a properly certified dive company would not anchor in water that shallow.

I've been on 1 day dive trips (boat dives) in Thailand and some of the dive schools in Thailand DO NOT ascertain whether a prospective student can swim, especially with intro courses. I've seen Chinese and Koreans enter the water from the boat and even with an inflated BCD, they cannot float on their backs or tread water without panicking. When they are helped back into the boat they are asked if they can swim and they say NO. They are then asked why they said YES on the forms they complete prior to diving.

At least with a proper dive course, Open Water or more advanced, the student has to pass a swim test first. "Try Diving" to the best of my knowledge does not do this. However, it's apparent from the hospital report that there was no water in her lungs so she did not drown. Which leaves either faulty equipment or a medical condition that was not declared on the paperwork waiving all responsibility from the dive boat operators.

But again, if she was only in 1 metre of water, she should have just stood up.

Condolences to her husband and family.

A small amount of water entering the upper airway can be sufficient to induce a fatal Laryingospasm .

There does not have to be "water in the lungs" ..................................

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

"In my experience, it sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning. The only other explanation is that the dive company are lying and she was much deeper prior to being at 1 meter. She may have panicked and rushed to the surface too quickly and got bent."

This makes the most sense. I agree about the depth of water. I doubt very much that it was only 1 metre.

Diving is essentially a dangerous sport. People die. It can be because of faulty equipment, it can also be because of some pre-existing condition of her, or other reasons. Let's wait for the outcome of investigation before we throw dirt at the scuba school.

Nice one traveller, I have to say that under the circumstances, did she have a dive medical ?

Did as a previous poster wrote have a dive instructor in the water with her at the time she enteted the water?

Unfortunately to "try dive" a medical is not required.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

"To enroll in a PADI Scuba Diver course (or Junior Scuba Diver course), you must be 10 years old or older. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health."

Check for yourself !

Can you also provide links to evidence of "carbon monoxide poisoning" being the cause of a scuba diving death anywhere in the world ?

Discover Scuba Diving is not a scuba diving course but a one time experience. Swimming skills are not a requirement for DSD. If executed properly DSDs are very safe, unfortunately the execution is not always done the way it is supposed to be.

It really does not sound like being able to swim or not had anything to do with this, but so far the information is too sketchy for any conclusions. But that of course does not prevent TV users to speculate on the cause, even if those users very clearly have no or limited knowledge of scuba diving.

May she RIP and condolences to the husband.

Edited by stevenl

Too many Instructors working illegally in Thailand, no regulation of the industry, dive shops not having proper setups for filling, its about time they cleaned this industry up if they are serious about tourism.

There are hardly any Deco chambers in Thailand too, so if you are a serious diver and plan diving there make sure you have your DAN insurance paid up.

You clearly have no idea !

http://www.sssnetwork.com/our-chambers-and-medical-clinics/phuket-thailand/

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

Check for yourself !

Carbon Monoxide poisoning (the bends) occurs more often than you realise. It doesn't always result in death, but there are ample occasions when it has worldwide. On my last dive trip to Koh Tao a Swedish girl doing her advanced open water course got a severe case of the bends, and not because she surfaced to quickly (her ascent was never faster than her air bubbles), but because she did not do her 2 mandatory safety stops whilst ascending from diving at a depth of 30 metres. She was lucky there was a decompression chamber available on the island, and the dive boat was anchored only about 500 metres off shore. If there hadn't been one, the severity of her carbon monoxide poisoning would have killed her. She was a very lucky girl, and she was an experienced diver, with over 100 dives prior to doing her Advanced Open Water course.

Stand up? I bet the poor woman never thought of that.

Not easy wearing flippers and a tank, especially if you are horizontal to begin with.

If she was only in 1 metre of water, she would not have been submerged. The air in her BCD would have kept her the surface. It's not that hard to just put your feet down and stand up in 1 metre of water.

Unfortunately to "try dive" a medical is not required.

Self medical is required, for no form of diving in Thailand is a doctor's medical required.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

Check for yourself !

Carbon Monoxide poisoning (the bends) occurs more often than you realise. It doesn't always result in death, but there are ample occasions when it has worldwide. On my last dive trip to Koh Tao a Swedish girl doing her advanced open water course got a severe case of the bends, and not because she surfaced to quickly (her ascent was never faster than her air bubbles), but because she did not do her 2 mandatory safety stops whilst ascending from diving at a depth of 30 metres. She was lucky there was a decompression chamber available on the island, and the dive boat was anchored only about 500 metres off shore. If there hadn't been one, the severity of her carbon monoxide poisoning would have killed her. She was a very lucky girl, and she was an experienced diver, with over 100 dives prior to doing her Advanced Open Water course.

Carbon monoxide poisoning and the bends are 2 completely different issues.

Many inaccuracies in your post regarding both carbon monoxide poisoning and the bends.

Edited by stevenl