The Yamazaki whisky

Oceanbat

If you are in Bangkok and don't mind a bit of exploring, there is a sort of secret Japanese Scotch bar off Suk. Soi 33. It is on one of the right hand sub-sois; either the 1st or 2nd as I remember and is unmarked but you can ask around. It is a gem of a place inside, a very classic whisky bar, expensive but with imaginative complementary little snacks served between rounds.

They may or may not let you in; dress well.

If you do appreciate fine Japanese scotches...this place is heaven and well worth the effort.

If you are in Bangkok and don't mind a bit of exploring, there is a sort of secret Japanese Scotch bar off Suk. Soi 33. It is on one of the right hand sub-sois; either the 1st or 2nd as I remember and is unmarked but you can ask around. It is a gem of a place inside, a very classic whisky bar, expensive but with imaginative complementary little snacks served between rounds.

If you do appreciate fine Japanese scotches...this place is heaven and well worth the effort.

Thanks Ddave. I might use a Japanese proxy. Do you know if they would sell by the bottle? Rare as hens teeth these days and I love just having a bottle at home.

OB

I'd be surprised if Yamazaki isn't available at a Fuji Supermarket, on Soi Promphong. Certainly have some Japanese whiskeys there and a good range of sake.

Pretty sure even Villa market at J Avenue on Thong Lor has Japanese whisky - it does have Monkey shoulder which is a very nice blend with Balvenie as one of the components (now the double wood is all gone...).

Edited by coops

Thanks Ddave. I might use a Japanese proxy. Do you know if they would sell by the bottle? Rare as hens teeth these days and I love just having a bottle at home.

OB

I was a guest there more than five years ago. It was a very good night but recollections beyond that are a bit foggy. As it is a bar, I doubt they sell bottles for off-premises consumption. They had an amazing selection of vintage and rare Scotches, wouldn't be a bad place to be a regular...if you have deep pockets.

Try Thaniya Spirits where many of the local bars buy their booze from. Its on Thaniya road about 2 doors down from Flan O.Bryans (the old O'Reilleys) next to Sala Daeng BTS. Pretty sure they have some Yamazaki whiskeys and the prices are always better than the big rip-off outlets.