Back to the Future Park: Rangsit gets biggest mall of all

webfact

Back to the Future Park: Rangsit Gets Biggest Mall of All
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14479274921447927598l.jpg
Image: Zpell / Facebook

PATHUM THANI — Dear Rangsit residents: Those who told you you live so 'baan nok?' It’s time for your sweet revenge.

If proximity to large malls is the yardstick of civilization, Rangsit will soon be the most cultured place in Thailand when Zpell opens later this month at Future Park, creating a combined retail space said to be the biggest in the realm.

With a total area 600,000sqm, that’s 20 percent more civilized than Siam Paragon (500,000sqm).

The new mall will open Nov. 27 with all the usual expectations of shopping and eating and entertaining, plus futsal courts, an ice-skating rink, indoor ski park, art installations to welcome all comers, whether compulsive shoppers, crazy foodies, sports aficionado or stereotyped hipsters.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447927492&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-20

Yeah, that's what we need,,,, more malls selling the same carp, yay!

Just wondered......... is it to get people to do more walking ? If it is anything like the New 'Westgate' it maybe big but very spaced out... notice they do have electric trains going around, but maybe a good idea to have electric motorbike Taxi's

With a total area 600,000sqm, that’s 20 percent more civilized than Siam Paragon (500,000sqm).

I bet Central World is also 20% bigger then Paragon.

But as every thai lady can tell you: size doesn't matter. It's the inside what counts.whistling.gif

Edited by Thian

The problem with being the biggest is that there is always someone else who wants to be bigger.

Zpell better have contingency plans for more floors if it wants to keep its top spot (Central World, boasting 550,000m², only needs to add another 50,000m² to get back it's number one ranking, while Siam Paragon had to add 100,000m²)!

Maybe, we'll see some building activity at these two complexes in the near future?

I was at one of the new malls in Rangsit last week. Huge place, ritzy shops but no customers. Many shops unoccupied. No sign of food outlets, so probably a factor. While nearby old fashioned malls full of mini restaurants reasonably busy. Plenty of customers around the cheap stalls outside. I'm not sure Rangsit is ready for the up market yet. Given time, if the investors and shop owners can hold on they may come good eventually.

Where is the income coming from to support the mall? How long does it take to make back the initial investment/seed capital on such projects?

Not at all sure it makes any difference what size, there just full of shops, what are they going to sell ?? so rent will be high compared to same type of shop outside a Mall, many small shops will be owned or cheap rent.

Where I live it is 7 KM from the main road to my Village, back in 2003 when I had the house built this road was a dirt track.. since then building all the time, there are rows and rows of shops, some with apartment above, some shop houses, and they are still building, noticed yesterday 2 new projects big trucks tipping soil, and big board showing rows of shops...

Some of these shops have been built 8 years ago and are still empty, shop start and a few months later are gone. there was 1x 7/11, now there are 8, was 1x Tesco Express, now 5, 3x CP shops that no one appears to ever visit, go by often at different time of the day never seen any customers inside..

OK they are building new houses, but how can expensive pet food shops make any money ? Last time I counted there was 15 !! and so on.. many people out here do not earn loads of money, so still go to there normal place for a meal @ 30 baht, why pay 60 baht for the same thing in a newer empty of customer place..

having lived in the area for a few years, a good few years back and I also visit regularly. I can tell you the mall does not ' make the man' so to speak. People there are still very 'stuck in their ways'. In the toilets people still stand on the seats (western toilets), drivers of all vehicles go up and down either side of the road and most soi's still can wake up to the cockerel in the mornings. Farangs are still quiet a novelty for many, so expect to be starred at (non threatening way). With the massive industrial workforce in Nawanakorn close you will see scores of factory workers walking around the mall, especially on Sundays.

It is worth a visit and enjoy the experience but It is hardly downtown Bangkok and don't expect it too be.

I was at one of the new malls in Rangsit last week. Huge place, ritzy shops but no customers. Many shops unoccupied. No sign of food outlets, so probably a factor. While nearby old fashioned malls full of mini restaurants reasonably busy. Plenty of customers around the cheap stalls outside. I'm not sure Rangsit is ready for the up market yet. Given time, if the investors and shop owners can hold on they may come good eventually.

It opens on the 27th November.

Future Park has always been one of the better malls, IMO. I've been a regular their since 2003. The most noticeable thing was it was predominantly Thais although I see more farangs in the last few years. For smaller malls we're also near to Fashion Island, The Walk, Crystal Park and not far to drive to Mega Bang Na. Central Festival are also soon to open a new mall near Crystal park.

No need to bother with the traffic jams and crap parking in central Bangkok anymore.

having lived in the area for a few years, a good few years back and I also visit regularly. I can tell you the mall does not ' make the man' so to speak. People there are still very 'stuck in their ways'. In the toilets people still stand on the seats (western toilets), drivers of all vehicles go up and down either side of the road and most soi's still can wake up to the cockerel in the mornings. Farangs are still quiet a novelty for many, so expect to be starred at (non threatening way). With the massive industrial workforce in Nawanakorn close you will see scores of factory workers walking around the mall, especially on Sundays.

It is worth a visit and enjoy the experience but It is hardly downtown Bangkok and don't expect it too be.

I've been a regular visitor since 2003.

Never ever have I seen any evidence of anyone standing on toilet seats. I certainly don't go around looking under cubicle doors, maybe you do. I've never seen footprints or anything else that might suggest that.

I agree that there are not the hordes of farang, Arabs and Indians you see in central Bangkok malls.

So Rangsit gets the biggest Mall of all and presumably it follows it will contain within the most junk and processed food outlets of any Mall that presently exists in Thailand. Now that is something to be really proud of. I hope Rangsit has wider entry/exit main doors than the Bang Kapi Mall which are inclined to get clogged with fatties jamming each other as they bustle and squeeze to get in and out two and three abreast. There is the potential for danger if one unfortunately happens to be in their way at the time.

Where is the income coming from to support the mall? How long does it take to make back the initial investment/seed capital on such projects?

When we did our little forced stint out to Promenada to visit immigration heaven/hell and to kill time we walked around the complex which one must do when visiting our glorious One stop jump through hoops service. Well you know the old shoot off a g*n story and not hit anyone story well that about sums it up. If these large malls in Bangkok fail well Disneyworld can always buy them on the cheap and convert them. Wallyworld comes to mind as well. A good question is where does the financing come from for all these monstrosities. The only thing profit wise thing that comes to mind is money cleaning. The West Edmonton mall is only 500,000 square meters. Can I bring my ice skates and surf board to any of these new mausoleums of merchandising. Surfs up.

If you back in time all this lunacy takes place just before a major downturn in the economy. As we are in a drought at present I often wonder how many liters of water these white elephants suck up daily. Do these malls sell water guns? I am in the market for one for next April. Don't worry folks come hell or high water Songkran will take place.

Already giant Internet sales sites -- Amazon, Google, Ali BaBa, Lazada,

with several others entering the field , their sales figures are staggering

with double digit increases EVERY YEAR ! I think malls, who now, apparently get their maximum income from monies paid in by space renters for rent/key

monies/ that fail quickly.Most people I view in malls are there for the

clean bathrooms, free air con.,and usually, some free entertainment. There

maybe a fast food stop but No bags of purchases as the sellers must charge

high prices to compensate for high rents and maintenance fees.

I believe 1/2 these malls will be gone, or converted to other uses, within

the next 10, or less, years. Why venture out into

horrendous/dangerous/congested traffic, visit several locations, staffed

with Thai education graduates, and risk owning something wrong which,

clearly stated on virtually every receipt is " NO returns, NO refunds.

People are increasingly becoming aware of " Letting their fingers do the

walking" being much easier/faster/home delivery and return policies far more

flexible.

The upside is that Thailand sorely needs more adequately equipped schools/

public clinics/convalescent homes and failed malls can provide 5 star

accomodations for any/all of these.

Edited by fred Kubasa

I've been a regular visitor since 2003.

Never ever have I seen any evidence of anyone standing on toilet seats. I certainly don't go around looking under cubicle doors, maybe you do. I've never seen footprints or anything else that might suggest that.

I agree that there are not the hordes of farang, Arabs and Indians you see in central Bangkok malls.

hmmn, and I thought the boxer knew everything about Thailand, Tesco's used to have posters in cubicles showing how to sit on the toilets correctly, a funny diagram of a bloke squatting on the bog with his feet and a big x thru it.

Actually I suspect due to its location Future Park isn't visited by to many people on this forum.

I have used it regularly for a long time and there are relatively few expats around whenever I have been,to knock improvements such as this makes me laugh,here your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The place is hugely popular and can be a real nightmare to park at etc but to knock the existence of facilities such as this doesn't make sense to me at least.

I guess people who live in Bangkok,Chiang Mai,Pattaya etc are spoilt for choice,the same can not be said for people like myself who live up in Phetchabun,I always make a point of stopping here on the way home when travelling.

It gets my approval.