Caught by the new Tourist Visa rules

Thank you in advance to those with the knowledge and experience to give me advice.

I entered Thailand on Nov. 16 with an exemption from visa 30 day stamp in my US passport.

I was too cavalier in not paying attention to the new TV regulations and that is why I am seeking advice here.

I have a ticket to depart on Dec. 14 and fly to Hanoi. Will spend 2- 3 weeks there. I planned on getting a 60 day tourist visa there at the Thai embassy. I wanted a multiple entry, but that is not available (only in one's home country) So the 60 day visa would be a single entry.

I need to be in Thailand from Jan. 10 - 23 to be on a tour. At the end, the tour exits Thailand and enters Laos to spend a few days in Luang Prabang. Tour ends in Luang Prabang. I had planned to fly from LP back to Thailand (either to Chiang Mai or to BKK) to spend a few days before my return flight to the US which is on March 2. That flight back to the US is already ticketed.

My question and concern is whether Thai immigration will allow me to return to Thailand after my tour, having been here once on a 30 day stamp, and then again on a 60 day stamp. Might they refuse me entry at the BKK airport even though I can show them my departing ticket on March 2?

Would I be a candidate for a Transit Visa? If it helps me, I can go from Luang Prabang to Vientiane in order to submit papers/application at the Thai Embassy there.

I do have previous entry stamps to Thailand in my passport and last year I had a non O-A visa which I ignorantly let lapse.

Thank you again for any help!

When exactly are you planning to come back to Thailand.

Scenario 1. You plan to come back to Thailand after 3 February and leave on 2 March

In this case don't bother applying for a second tourist visa.

Now you are on a 30 day fexempt free entry.

Then you will have a Single Entry Tourist Visa (valid 3 months, gives you permission to stay 60 days)

Then when you come back to Thailand enter again on a 30 day exempt entry for free.

The immigration only has a problem if you do IN-OUT on a visa exempt or if you have 5 or 6 visa exempt entries. It does not apply to you. Yours is visa exempt - leave the country - tourist visa - leave the country - visa exempt .Nothing to worry about.

Scenario 2. You plan to come back to Thailand before 3 February.

Get your visa from Hanoi around 15-20 December. You enter Thailand on 10 January. You will receive a 60 day stamp valid until 9 March. Before you exit the country around say 25 January, a few days before get a Reentry Permit from an Immigration Office close to where you are at that moment in time. It will cost 1,000 baht and it will allow you to retain the remaining days on your stamp and you don't lose the visa. In this scenario, whenever you enter the country again, your new stamp will last until 9 March.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Ubonjoe,

I have always kept within the 30 day limit on Visa Exempt, and never back to back. However. last week I was refused entry at Don Mueang by a female officer for having in her opinion too many Thai stamps in my passport. I argued and she called over a male superior, who was clearly embarrassed but felt he had to back her up, and asked me to get an extension next time !! Of what?

Clearly she was wanting to implement a rule that has never been enacted, but she felt she had the power to introduce it unilaterally!

Crackdown seems to be on people abusing the in-out visa exempt stamps and using that to stay here long-tmerm, what you are doing is not that so no problem. I am trying to figure your schedule but it seems if you will be returning to Thai within in 30 days before your March 2 departure you will not need a visa and can use the entry stamp, no worries.

The immigration only has a problem if you do IN-OUT on a visa exempt or if you have 5 or 6 visa exempt entries. It does not apply to you. Yours is visa exempt - leave the country - tourist visa - leave the country - visa exempt .Nothing to worry about.

Since it appears none of you stays will be more than 30 days you can just use 30 day visa exempt entries instead of getting a tourist visa. There is no limit of how many you can do.

Even if you wanted to stay longer than 30 days you can get a 30 day extension at an immigration office.

How many visa exempt stamps did you have in your passport over last 12 months?

• I was surprised when I saw UbonJoe's response - use 30 day visa exempt entries instead of getting a tourist visa. There is no limit of how many you can do
  • Then saw a conflict when I saw IKV's -The immigration only has a problem if you do IN-OUT on a visa exempt or if you have 5 or 6 visa exempt entries

Question 1

Is there an official (or more likely unofficial rule of thumb) number of visa exempt stamps limit?

Question 2

Does this limit of visa exempt stamps depend upon if they are back to back?

Question 3

Is there a considerations for your last visit duration being outside Thailand prior to next visa exempt - or is it all about volume of stamps and back to back amounts?

Edited by spambot

Ubonjoe,

I have always kept within the 30 day limit on Visa Exempt, and never back to back. However. last week I was refused entry at Don Mueang by a female officer for having in her opinion too many Thai stamps in my passport. I argued and she called over a male superior, who was clearly embarrassed but felt he had to back her up, and asked me to get an extension next time !! Of what?

Clearly she was wanting to implement a rule that has never been enacted, but she felt she had the power to introduce it unilaterally!

So were you actually denied entry? It seems you were not denied entry reading the rest of your post.

I think they were telling you to get a visa not an extension. That is what they normally tell people.

last week I was refused entry at Don Mueang by a female officer for having in her opinion too many Thai stamps in my passport.

It'd be appreciated if you could provide more details about what happened.

Were you denied entry? Did you have to fly out of the country to apply for a visa?

Thanks in advance.

Question 1

Is there an official (or more likely unofficial rule of thumb) number of visa exempt stamps limit?

Question 2

Question 3

Is there a considerations for your last visit duration being outside Thailand prior to next visa exempt - or is it all about volume of stamps and back to back amounts?

Q1 - Purpotedly six is the limit, but we do not know if this is for a rolling 12-months or "forever" or what length (someone please correct if I am wrong on this).

Q2 and Q3 - Back to Back or not makes no difference for being flagged at Immigration. Oil-workers doing periodic entries have been flagged and warned to "get a visa," though no visa suits their circumstance (some would argue the new METV, though their work may not take them near their home-consulate).

You may be able to show proof in your passport that the VisaExempts were Not Back To Back and/or not used for the maximum time allowed. You may be able to show work in another country as proof you do not work in Thailand. Some reports indicate a resistance to actually looking at documents. YMMV.

You Should Definitely have Cash On Hand to prove you have available funds for your stay in Thailand. BankBooks and such may not be accepted as proof. I suggest a suitable value of old-style Travelers Checks, to avoid walking around with 20K Baht in cash.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CurrencyExchange/Pages/TravelersCheques.aspx

• Like 1

Ok sorry i was a little tired yesterday and did not think of option 3, which is all visa exempt because all your stays in Thailand are less than 30 days. Depends how your passport looks like until now. Have you been staying in Thailand in 2014 many times on visa exempts or is this your first one?

The reason there was a crackdown on visa exempts is because Thailand generally likes it when you pay. The more you pay the better. I know it sounds bad but it's the reality. If you had a tourist visa between those two exempts it would "look better" in my opinion. If this visa exempt entry is your first, do all of them visa exempt. If through 2014 you had multiple visa exempts that we are not aware of, there may be an issue there.

Crackdown seems to be on people abusing the in-out visa exempt stamps

I think you are right based on what I keep hearing.

But what is the time frame being talked about here? Is it leaving Thailand and coming back on the same day?

If someone leaves, goes to another country and comes back two weeks later is that considered in-out?

Since it appears none of you stays will be more than 30 days you can just use 30 day visa exempt entries instead of getting a tourist visa. There is no limit of how many you can do.

Even if you wanted to stay longer than 30 days you can get a 30 day extension at an immigration office.

I was surprised when I saw UbonJoe's response use 30 day visa exempt entries instead of getting a tourist visa. There is no limit of how many you can do

Why would you be surprised. I have stated the same thing many times.

There is no written rule that limits the number of visa exempt entries that can be done. The immigration officer only gets an alert when 6 is reached so that the officer does a review of persons entry history to see if they are out/in visa runs. The OP will certainly not fall into that category.

• Like 2

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Q1 - Purpotedly six is the limit, but we do not know if this is for a rolling 12-months or "forever" or what length (someone please correct if I am wrong on this).

Q2 and Q3 - Back to Back or not makes no difference for being flagged at Immigration. Oil-workers doing periodic entries have been flagged and warned to "get a visa," though no visa suits their circumstance (some would argue the new METV, though their work may not take them near their home-consulate).

You may be able to show proof in your passport that the VisaExempts were Not Back To Back and/or not used for the maximum time allowed. You may be able to show work in another country as proof you do not work in Thailand. Some reports indicate a resistance to actually looking at documents. YMMV.

You Should Definitely have Cash On Hand to prove you have available funds for your stay in Thailand. BankBooks and such may not be accepted as proof. I suggest a suitable value of old-style Travelers Checks, to avoid walking around with 20K Baht in cash.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CurrencyExchange/Pages/TravelersCheques.aspx

JackThompson

Great response - It gave me what I needed!

Reaching 6 visa exempt entries is only an alert. It is not a written rule as a maximum.

The officer should then check to see if the are out/in visa runs when he gets the alert.. The purpose is the catch people that are using visa exempt entries to live here which is clearly not the reason they are allowed.

• Like 2

Reaching 6 visa exempt entries is only an alert. It is not a written rule as a maximum.

The officer should then check to see if the are out/in visa runs when he gets the alert.. The purpose is the catch people that are using visa exempt entries to live here which is clearly not the reason they are allowed.

ubonjoe

Great addition - So in fact there should be little to worry about for the first 6 visa exempts - I am assuming that this is not per period of 12 months, but rather its is a period of forever.

Hence after the first 6 visa exempts - It is only then that the process becomes more subjective - And a judgement will be made with an outcome more depending upon the individual officer concerned.

I would also like to thank the knowledgeable people here and the way they use their time and experience to help people. I have a question. Can it be confirmed that the introduction of the new Multvisa has led to non issuance in the future of the of the old style 2 and 3 60 days visas. In other words the new scheme has replaced the old system?

Personally I do think this is not a question of to be ask in this forum.

Many people here have the 'Wisdom'. they are not the people who work for the government on your judgement day.

Immigration is the only who can answer your question and provide advise in how to handle or arragne things.

Immigration is willing to help you out too.

Personally do have very good experiences without problem and the correct answers.

Planning up front before you travel and check before one go.

Gold rule of the frequent travel.

I would also like to thank the knowledgeable people here and the way they use their time and experience to help people. I have a question. Can it be confirmed that the introduction of the new Multvisa has led to non issuance in the future of the of the old style 2 and 3 60 days visas. In other words the new scheme has replaced the old system?

The multiple entry tourist visa has replaced the 2 and 3 entry tourist visas. They are no longer available.

Ubonjoe is 1000 percent correct (and IMHO a great asset to this forum)

I have more than 40 exempt stamps in my current

passport due to being an offshore worker.I spoke in length to an immigration inspector end if last month on the way out in BKK

Yes ,they get an alert after 6 exempt entries but only to then establish whether you are using the visa exempt status to stay long term in Thailand.

If like me you enter Thailand stay a couple of weeks fly out for a month and then enter and do the same again over and over it's not a problem .

They will only refuse you if you are doing multiple back to back in/out and staying a full 30 days each time (in other words using the visa exempt facility to stay permanently in Thailand)

Great contribution since you have real time experience.

And even more interesting - since you are only out the country for 30 days - Then in the Thailand for a few weeks - And managed to accumulate 40+ stamps - You are almost a perfect example of actually stress testing the 6 visa exempts alert and after time system. Obviously this might become difficult if on one occasion a immigration officer subjectively thinks either 1 mouth away is not long enough or the 2 weeks inside Thailand is too long - Since I guess this is still just a personal judgement not a specific counting rule.

Any thoughts on 1 mouth away and 30 days in (Thailand) - Do any of your colleagues do that?

I am currently viewing an apartment in Lao to spend 1 month at a time there on a Lao tourist visa, but then use the Thai Visa exempt and stay in Udon as long as available of the 30 days, but its not clear what portion of the 30 days is too long staying before it is regarded as a long term stay abuse of the system.

As you have a clear itinerary and can supply flight exit details I would suggest using the visa exempt method as you qualify and will have all the relevant details should they enquire.

It is not uncommon with tours to cross cross Thailand as bangkok is a hub for south east Asia travel.

Clear exit plans and proof of exit flight is what the focus is normally on.

Enjoy your trip.

passport due to being an offshore worker.I spoke in length to an immigration inspector end if last month on the way out in BKK

Yes ,they get an alert after 6 exempt entries but only to then establish whether you are using the visa exempt status to stay long term in Thailand.

If like me you enter Thailand stay a couple of weeks fly out for a month and then enter and do the same again over and over it's not a problem .

They will only refuse you if you are doing multiple back to back in/out and staying a full 30 days each time (in other words using the visa exempt facility to stay permanently in Thailand)

And even more interesting - since you are only out the country for 30 days - Then in the Thailand for a few weeks - And managed to accumulate 40+ stamps - You are almost a perfect example of actually stress testing the 6 visa exempts alert and after time system. Obviously this might become difficult if on one occasion a immigration officer subjectively thinks either 1 mouth away is not long enough or the 2 weeks inside Thailand is too long - Since I guess this is still just a personal judgement not a specific counting rule.

Any thoughts on 1 mouth away and 30 days in (Thailand) - Do any of your colleagues do that?

I am currently viewing an apartment in Lao to spend 1 month at a time there on a Lao tourist visa, but then use the Thai Visa exempt and stay in Udon as long as available of the 30 days, but its not clear what portion of the 30 days is too long staying before it is regarded as a long term stay abuse of the system.

The discussion is abut doing entries at an airport where they have to follow procedures to deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act.

At a border crossing they often do not follow procedures and will say no and expect you to turn around and go back to the country you just left.

• Like 1

All i can say is your lucky

As i would have the same - maybe been 3yrs since had marriage visa & come every mth for 7 days on visa exempt (back to back) through Swampy but got nabbed for the more then 6 times in a year

She told me Visa next time or no entry (even wrote a little note in passport ) - now have new one + single entry 3mth Marriage visa

I find this particular thread confusing. I fly out of los every week or so . I also was bit surprised about ubonjoe referring to no limit on visa exempt stamp being basically available ongoing.

I am not the only person living in los with a rented pad etc and traveling every other week. So can I live in los by leaving every few weeks to to Vietnam. Stay there for week or so and do it ad infinitum. Thaivisa seems to have very mixed messages.

Many times I have suggested to short term visitors to enter on stamp. Do cheap flight holiday to suitable neighbouring country. Stir and mix. Stay for a year. Many experts have suggested get a setv. etc. WHY????

• Like 1

The discussion is abut doing entries at an airport where they have to follow procedures to deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act.

At a border crossing they often do not follow procedures and will say no and expect you to turn around and go back to the country you just left.

Ahh - yes Good point - I can see a difference now - And its something I never considered before - Actually that is very good Info.

Personally I do think this is not a question of to be ask in this forum.

Many people here have the 'Wisdom'. they are not the people who work for the government on your judgement day.

Immigration is the only who can answer your question and provide advise in how to handle or arragne things.

Immigration is willing to help you out too.

Personally do have very good experiences without problem and the correct answers.

Planning up front before you travel and check before one go.

Gold rule of the frequent travel.

"not a question to be ask". biggrin.png

I think you should review what is the presuppose and intent of an Internet forum. In the meanwhile, enjoy your positive liaison with Thai immigration.