What is going on with the ' winter ' in Thailand

ezzra

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

November has always been my least favourite month in Thailand, climate wise. The welcome rain and cooler temps associated with thunderstorms over the rainy season (June to mid-October) are gone. We have a sudden return to hot conditions and windless days (albeit with reduced humidity) in November just when we think winter should be here. December and January are relatively cooler. February to May are, of course, hot and humid, but at least there is the prospect of a thunderstorm on any given day.

El Nino is particularly extreme this year due to Global Warming. Thailand forecast is droughts and heatwave conditions. Hot and getting hotter. Drought warning has already been issued for Thailand.

"the world is always in a constant change. Impermanence is permanence." Yes, over thousands of years climates gradually change. Not over 50 to 100 years. That would be unprecedented.

"More concrete, fewer trees?" No effect, unless someone has started concreting the Oceans.

"Or as you said, an outlyingly hot year." Yes it is going to be a hot year globally due to El Nino and Global Warming. Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC by the end of this century it is expected to warm between 6-8OC. Not many people will be living in Bangkok. It will have sunk by then.

You posted.... "Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC..."

Cite please. Where did you get that number from ? You just doubled the actual temp increase from the reality. Why ? ?

The Earth's average temp warned only 0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012

(IPCC, 2013: Summary for Policymakers. In: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [stocker, T.F., D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S. K. Allen, J. Boschung, A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex and P.M. Midgley (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.)

Quote:

• The globally averaged combined land and ocean surface temperature data as calculated by a linear trend, show a warming of 0.85 [0.65 to 1.06] °C3, over the period 1880 to 2012, when multiple independently produced datasets exist. The total increase between the average of the 1850–1900 period and the 2003–2012 period is 0.78 [0.72 to 0.85] °C, based on the single longest dataset available4 (see Figure SPM.1). {2.4}

0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012 is to be expected since we just came out of the "Little Ice Age" circa 1850. ("Little Ice Age": approx. 1300 - 1850) It was a bad time with longer, more bitterly cold winters,,, shorter growing seasons, failed harvests, famine and disease and higher death rate. Advancing glaciers in the Alps bulldozed some villages flat.

Do you expect the Earth to get cooler following the L.I.A. ?

You say: "Yes, over thousands of years climates gradually change. Not over 50 to 100 years."

Wrong again: The Earth went into the Roman Warm Period and Medieval Warm Period in a lot less than "..thousands of years..." We also went into the Little Ice Age very very quickly....

​ In a study of Paleclimatology, you would see that a 0.85 degree C increase over a 132 year period is well within the normal range of natural variability for the planet Earth.

Perhaps you would be surprised to discover that in fact... we are still in an Ice Age that began about two and a half million years ago. The Current Ice Age is also known as the Pleistocene Glaciation or Quaternary Glaciation. or... Present Ice Age.

As long as the world has Ice Caps, glaciers and Ice Sheets.... we are in an Ice Age. Many people confuse Glacial Periods,,,, like we came out of about 18,000 - 20,000 years ago,,, with Ice Ages.

Ice Ages and Glacial Periods are two separate things.. Then.... you must learn about Interglacial Periods also... learn the difference between Ice House Earth, and Greenhouse Earth. We are presently in an Ice House Earth.

During Greenhouse Earth.... Earth has no ice caps or glaciers at all.. And also.. between Ice Ages... . the ice is totally gone... or almost so...

We are presently in a warm Interglacial Period, between Glacial Periods, during the Present, or Current Ice Age. (Pleistocene/Quaternary Glaciation)

If you are concerned about climate changing quickly.... you can relax.. 0.85 degree C over a 132 year period coming out of the "Little Ice Age" is nothing like Abrupt Climate Change... when temperature on the planet can increase or decrease by 10 degrees or more.... in as little as ten years... .

No reason to go running around in a panic over our climate....although there are many people that hope you do just that...

Our climate... and the rate of change..is well within the normal, natural rage of variability for this planet...

my travel agent told me Thailand would be colder than Canada.......i am shocked!!!!

when it gets really hot and i complain back home, nobody cares!!!! heat is much worse for your body than cold....

now i will get hotter and hotter and then pollution....then it will be time for months of rain...

i want to create 100 threads complaining....too hot, too cold, not hot enough, not cold enough, not hot enough during 1 a.m., and cover every single minute!!!

i'm moving to China...get some cleaner air...

The Romans grew grapes and produced wine in Eastern England. Try doing that now. So global warming is not new!

Romans growing grapes has nothing to do with Global Warming.

Global Warming / Cooling over thousands of years is not at all unusual, over 50 to 100 years it certainly is.

The Romans grew grapes and produced wine in Eastern England. Try doing that now. So global warming is not new!

Romans??

They are doing it now. There are British wines that are even better than the French ones

yeah...it was warm enough for the Romans to grow good grapes in England during the Roman Warm Period.

Since then, it became too cool to grow good grapes in England, then it became warm again during the Medieval Warm Period, then cool again during the Little Ice Age,,,,and now as it's gotten a bit warmer since the end of the Little Ice Age circa 1850.... in the last many years, it has become warm enough again that they can once again grow decent grapes.

El Nino is particularly extreme this year due to Global Warming. Thailand forecast is droughts and heatwave conditions. Hot and getting hotter. Drought warning has already been issued for Thailand.

"the world is always in a constant change. Impermanence is permanence." Yes, over thousands of years climates gradually change. Not over 50 to 100 years. That would be unprecedented.

"More concrete, fewer trees?" No effect, unless someone has started concreting the Oceans.

"Or as you said, an outlyingly hot year." Yes it is going to be a hot year globally due to El Nino and Global Warming. Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC by the end of this century it is expected to warm between 6-8OC. Not many people will be living in Bangkok. It will have sunk by then.

Cite please. Where did you get that number from ? You just doubled the actual temp increase from the reality. Why ? ?

(IPCC, 2013: Summary for Policymakers. In: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [stocker, T.F., D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S. K. Allen, J. Boschung, A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex and P.M. Midgley (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.)

Quote:

• The globally averaged combined land and ocean surface temperature data as calculated by a linear trend, show a warming of 0.85 [0.65 to 1.06] °C3, over the period 1880 to 2012, when multiple independently produced datasets exist. The total increase between the average of the 1850–1900 period and the 2003–2012 period is 0.78 [0.72 to 0.85] °C, based on the single longest dataset available4 (see Figure SPM.1). {2.4}

0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012 is to be expected since we just came out of the "Little Ice Age" circa 1850. ("Little Ice Age": approx. 1300 - 1850) It was a bad time with longer, more bitterly cold winters,,, shorter growing seasons, failed harvests, famine and disease and higher death rate. Advancing glaciers in the Alps bulldozed some villages flat.

You say: "Yes, over thousands of years climates gradually change. Not over 50 to 100 years."

Wrong again: The Earth went into the Roman Warm Period and Medieval Warm Period in a lot less than "..thousands of years..." We also went into the Little Ice Age very very quickly....

​ In a study of Paleclimatology, you would see that a 0.85 degree C increase over a 132 year period is well within the normal range of natural variability for the planet Earth.

Perhaps you would be surprised to discover that in fact... we are still in an Ice Age that began about two and a half million years ago. The Current Ice Age is also known as the Pleistocene Glaciation or Quaternary Glaciation. or... Present Ice Age.

As long as the world has Ice Caps, glaciers and Ice Sheets.... we are in an Ice Age. Many people confuse Glacial Periods,,,, like we came out of about 18,000 - 20,000 years ago,,, with Ice Ages.

Ice Ages and Glacial Periods are two separate things.. Then.... you must learn about Interglacial Periods also... learn the difference between Ice House Earth, and Greenhouse Earth. We are presently in an Ice House Earth.

During Greenhouse Earth.... Earth has no ice caps or glaciers at all.. And also.. between Ice Ages... . the ice is totally gone... or almost so...

We are presently in a warm Interglacial Period, between Glacial Periods, during the Present, or Current Ice Age. (Pleistocene/Quaternary Glaciation)

If you are concerned about climate changing quickly.... you can relax.. 0.85 degree C over a 132 year period coming out of the "Little Ice Age" is nothing like Abrupt Climate Change... when temperature on the planet can increase or decrease by 10 degrees or more.... in as little as ten years... .

No reason to go running around in a panic over our climate....although there are many people that hope you do just that...

Our climate... and the rate of change..is well within the normal, natural rage of variability for this planet...

I suggest you forward all your data and theories to NASA, NOAA, UKMet, Berkeley Earth, PSC, PIOMAS, RSS, NSIDC, IPCC and let them know you have worked all this Global Warming / Climate Change thing out and there is nothing to be concerned about. Well done Catoni. Amazing how they missed all that stuff. Well done. It was probably all a bit complicated for them to understand.

my travel agent told me Thailand would be colder than Canada.......i am shocked!!!!

when it gets really hot and i complain back home, nobody cares!!!! heat is much worse for your body than cold....

now i will get hotter and hotter and then pollution....then it will be time for months of rain...

i want to create 100 threads complaining....too hot, too cold, not hot enough, not cold enough, not hot enough during 1 a.m., and cover every single minute!!!

i'm moving to China...get some cleaner air...

"heat is much worse for you body than cold..."

Wrong.... cold is MUCH worse than heat. Ever wonder why more people move to the tropics than move to far north Canada, Alaska or the Arctic shores of Russia ? ?

There is a new study this year in the British medical Journal... The Lancet. Perhaps the world's most respected, peer reviewed medical journal.

Cold... is much, much, much worse than heat.

From http://joannenova.com.au/2015/05/study-on-74-million-deaths-cold-weather-kills-20-times-more-than-heat-does/

A link to the study itself is provided below this article....

Of seventy four million deaths (that is quite some study) 7.7% of all deaths could be blamed on “non-optimal” temperatures according to Gasparrini et al in the Lancet. But look closely, and 7.3% of deaths were due to the cold and only 0.4% were due to the heat.

This may be part of the reason people retire to Florida, and not so much to Barrow, Alaska.

The biggest killers were not the heat waves that score the headlines, but the moderate cold. Winter kills. (Time to ban winter?)

Cold weather kills 20 times as many people as hot weather, according to an international study analyzing over 74 million deaths in 384 locations across 13 countries. The findings, published in The Lancet, also reveal that deaths due to moderately hot or cold weather substantially exceed those resulting from extreme heat waves or cold spells.

“It’s often assumed that extreme weather causes the majority of deaths, with most previous research focusing on the effects of extreme heat waves,” says lead author Dr Antonio Gasparrini from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine in the UK. “Our findings, from an analysis of the largest dataset of temperature-related deaths ever collected, show that the majority of these deaths actually happen on moderately hot and cold days, with most deaths caused by moderately cold temperatures.”

The study analysed over 74 million (74,225,200) deaths between 1985 and 2012 in 13 countries with a wide range of climates, from cold to subtropical. Data on daily average temperature, death rates, and confounding variables (eg, humidity and air pollution) were used to calculate the temperature of minimum mortality (the optimal temperature), and to quantify total deaths due to non-optimal ambient temperature in each location. The researchers then estimated the relative contributions of heat and cold, from moderate to extreme temperatures.

Around 7.71% of all deaths were caused by non-optimal temperatures, with substantial differences between countries, ranging from around 3% in Thailand, Brazil, and Sweden to about 11% in China, Italy, and Japan. Cold was responsible for the majority of these deaths (7.29% of all deaths), while just 0.42% of all deaths were attributable to heat.

The study also found that extreme temperatures were responsible for less than 1% of all deaths, while mildly sub-optimal temperatures accounted for around 7% of all deaths — with most (6.66% of all deaths) related to moderate cold.

According to Dr Gasparrini, “Current public-health policies focus almost exclusively on minimizing the health consequences of heat waves. Our findings suggest that these measures need to be refocused and extended to take account of a whole range of effects associated with temperature.”

Writing in a linked Comment, Keith Dear and Zhan Wang from Duke Kunshan University, Kunshan, Jiangsu, China say, “Factors such as susceptibility or resilience have not been included in the analysis, including socioeconomic status, age, and confounding air pollutants…Since high or low temperatures affect susceptible groups such as unwell, young, and elderly people the most, attempts to mitigate the risk associated with temperature would benefit from in-depth studies of the interaction between attributable mortality and socioeconomic factors, to avoid adverse policy outcomes and achieve effective adaptation.”

Link to the study itself in The Lancet:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)62114-0/abstract

Mortality Risk Attributable to High and Low Ambient Temperature: A Multicountry Observational Study

Authors;

Yuming Guo PhD, Prof Masahiro Hashizume PhD, Eric Lavigne PhD, Antonella Zanobetti PhD, Prof Joel Schwartz PhD, Aurelio Tobias PhD, Prof Shilu Tong PhD, Joacim Rocklöv PhD, Prof Bertil Forsberg PhD, Michela Leone MS, Manuela De Sario MS, Prof Michelle L Bell PhD, Yue-Liang Leon Guo MD, Chang-<deleted> Wu PhD, Prof Haidong Kan PhD, Prof Seung-Muk Yi PhD, Micheline de Sousa Zanotti Stagliorio Coelho PhD, Prof Paulo Hilario Nascimento Saldiva PhD, Prof Yasushi

Honda PhD, Prof Ho Kim PhD, Prof Ben Armstrong PhD

Actually it isn't only in Thailand.

I read several articles the other day about it being the hottest October ever.

Here is one of them:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hottest-october-on-record-is-bad-news-for-polar-bears-2015-11-19

in the entire history of the EARTH..............really, honestly the global warming bs ometer is doing overtime

My grandma always told me , about a prophecy of mother Jesus Maria, that the asian continent burns up in fire in near future looks like she was right

Seems like the genetic inheritance of stupidity has been passed on

Quote:

I suggest you forward all your data and theories to NASA, NOAA, UKMet, Berkeley Earth, PSC, PIOMAS, RSS, NSIDC, IPCC and let them know you have worked all this Global Warming / Climate Change thing out and there is nothing to be concerned about. Well done Catoni. Amazing how they missed all that stuff. Well done. It was probably all a bit complicated for them to understand.

You're a funny guy. Did you notice that my figures ...0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012... come from the I.P.C.C. itself ? ?

They didn't miss what I've said.

They know it themselves.... as well as most people that bother to open up some books and study.

But I know where you are coming from, comrade... I used to be a leftist activist myself back in my college days. Used to help arrange demonstrations in big cities and at the Canadian/U.S. border... .with the "Peace" groups and dis-armament groups.... . associated with the "World Peace Council" and local activist cells.

And then I read Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, Frederic Bastiat, Trotter, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Milton Friedman and others....... and with age... I gained not just some knowledge from my studies... but also finally a bit of wisdom...

I'm lifelong student of many subjects... including History, Politics, Astronomy, Geology, and yes.. Paleoclimatology.

​ My library drives my wife crazy....I have a very wide range of interests. She says If I go before her.... all my books are going also.. after our kids choose which ones they want..

But please try not to throw insults and name calling here. The moderators don't like it... . okay ?

You're a funny guy. Did you notice that my figures ...0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012... come from the I.P.C.C. itself ? ?

They know it themselves.... as well as most people that bother to open up some books and study.

But I know where you are coming from, comrade... I used to be a leftist activist myself back in my college days. Used to help arrange demonstrations in big cities and at the Canadian/U.S. border... .with the "Peace" groups and dis-armament groups.... . associated with the "World Peace Council" and local activist cells.

And then I read Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, Frederic Bastiat, Trotter, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Milton Friedman and others....... and with age... I gained not just some knowledge from my studies... but also finally a bit of wisdom...

I'm lifelong student of many subjects... including History, Politics, Astronomy, Geology, and yes.. Paleoclimatology.

​ My library drives my wife crazy....I have a very wide range of interests. She says If I go before her.... all my books are going also.. after our kids choose which ones they want..

But please try not to throw insults and name calling here. The moderators don't like it... . okay ?

Excellent Catoni. You are obviously on top of the Global Warming / Climate Change and NASA, NOAA, UKMet, Berkeley Earth, PSC, PIOMAS, RSS, NSIDC, IPCC have missed some key points that you are completely researched on. Well done. No argument from me.

Edited by up2u2

Did you want to rent about it, rant about it or vent about it? I'm guessing vent.

You seem the only one who need to "rant" about incorrect spelling, surely there are more important things for you to do... are you sure your an Aussie, it seems more like a "whinging pom," as us true blues say.

The weather patterns are gradually changing.

Questions is: Would the weather have changed by way of natural evolution or have we humans altered the weather patterns???

Either way the cool weather season has been arriving later in the year for the last several years.

Cheers

I think a clue to the weather may lie here! Please stop spruiking the Banksters "Global Warming" BS.

http://beforeitsnews.com/prophecy/2015/11/earth-has-shifted-inuit-elders-issue-warning-to-nasa-the-world-video-2475142.html

I recall many years ago, mid October to end of January my a/c grew cobwebs and the temperatures were at 15-20 degrees in the morning and cooler throughout the day?

Nah. You don't! Never happened in BKK mate - not for 3 1/2 months! Cobwebs my be a housekeeping issue!

I think a clue to the weather may lie here! Please stop spruiking the Banksters "Global Warming" BS.

http://beforeitsnews.com/prophecy/2015/11/earth-has-shifted-inuit-elders-issue-warning-to-nasa-the-world-video-2475142.html

The Inuit Elders you say? Well there you go. Problem solved. I always thought NASA, NOAA, UKMet, Berkeley Earth, PSC, PIOMAS, RSS, NSIDC, IPCC where totally overrated.

So it is all just "The Earth has wobbled, the sky has changed". How simple is that. Extraordinary scientific research. You just cannot argue with that.

Excellent Catoni. You are obviously on top of the Global Warming / Climate Change and NASA, NOAA, UKMet, Berkeley Earth, PSC, PIOMAS, RSS, NSIDC, IPCC have missed some key points that you are completely researched on. Well done. No argument from me.

Oh..... you have a problem now with the I.P.C.C. ? ? One guy here says "Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC ...."

The I.P.C.C. says we have warmed only 0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012. And the "Little Ice Age" only end approx. 1850.

Question: Do you think it should not warm a degree or two following the "Little Ice Age" ? ? Yes.... or no ......

So tell us ....Another Question:

Which one do YOU believe ? ? ?

1. The I.P.C.C. with their claim of 0.85 degree C increase over a 132 year period between 1880 - 2012 ? ? or...

2. Or the guy making the claim of 1.7 degree C increase over the past 50 years ? ?

( Notice he did nor provide a cite for his wild claim ? ? I provided a cite for my 0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012. The I.P.C.C. itself )

Your answer please Mr. Sarcasm Up2u2 ! ! Choose one. We'll wait right here for your answer... (Unless you just throw out more of your sarcasm.... and no intelligent rebuttal)

Edited by Catoni

Wow there , the biggest vineyard in England is or was when I left in Dorking between London and Brighton. North Downs and chalk just right for growing grapes.. Oh well back to Chang beer.

sent from PCX sidecar

Oh..... you have a problem now with the I.P.C.C. ? ? One guy here says "Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC ...."

The I.P.C.C. says we have warmed only 0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012. And the "Little Ice Age" only end approx. 1850.

Question: Do you think it should not warm a degree or two following the "Little Ice Age" ? ? Yes.... or no ......

So tell us ....Another Question:

Which one do YOU believe ? ? ?

1. The I.P.C.C. with their claim of 0.85 degree C increase over a 132 year period between 1880 - 2012 ? ? or...

2. Or the guy making the claim of 1.7 degree C increase over the past 50 years ? ?

( Notice he did nor provide a cite for his wild claim ? ? I provided a cite for my 0.85 degree C between 1880 - 2012. The I.P.C.C. itself )

Your answer please Mr. Sarcasm Up2u2 ! ! Choose one. We'll wait right here for your answer... (Unless you just throw out more of your sarcasm.... and no intelligent rebuttal)

You are probably right Catoni NASA, NOAA, UKMet, Berkeley Earth, PSC, PIOMAS, RSS, NSIDC, IPCC have obviously overlooked the 'Little Ice Age' fact and Romans were growing grapes in northern England and after the Inuit Elders have waded in with their scientific opinion "The Earth has wobbled, the sky has changed". Then there's all that concrete. +.85 O C, +1.7OC, +10.0OC as you say, No cause for ala rm.