What is going on with the ' winter ' in Thailand

ezzra

I recall many years ago, mid October to end of January my a/c grew cobwebs and the temperatures were at

15-20 degrees in the morning and cooler throughout the day, now days it's showing 30 degrees in my

mid Sukhumvit apartment and the a/c is used daily and at night as well, we all know about the Nino and

El Nina weather phenomenon... just wanted to rent about it.....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is my impression also that it is hotter than usual for the time of year, the sunlight seems to be hotter when standing outside in the sun.

I must admit it feels strong....but even if I would believe in global warming it wouldn't make the sun stronger. But yes I thought the same yesterday.

The last two years in particular, and not just here....went home for the summer and found lakes and rivers at the lowest levels in decades. Does anyone know what the statistics for Thailand actually say?

Edited by Lee4Life

Definitely a warmer year than usual. There are cycles ( if you support global warming theories) that are warmer and cooler, and one or two warmer years is relatively meaningless in the grand scale of things. But this year is really a cooker. Hope it does cool down soon.

Edited by spidermike007

El Nino is particularly extreme this year due to Global Warming. Thailand forecast is droughts and heatwave conditions. Hot and getting hotter. Drought warning has already been issued for Thailand.

"the world is always in a constant change. Impermanence is permanence." Yes, over thousands of years climates gradually change. Not over 50 to 100 years. That would be unprecedented.

"More concrete, fewer trees?" No effect, unless someone has started concreting the Oceans.

"Or as you said, an outlyingly hot year." Yes it is going to be a hot year globally due to El Nino and Global Warming. Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC by the end of this century it is expected to warm between 6-8OC. Not many people will be living in Bangkok. It will have sunk by then.

We don’t have a seasonal winter based on latitude. Even northern Thailand is well within the tropics. Mountaintops are cooler due to altitude but cool is relative to the flatlands that surround them. It only gets cold if something happens up in China to push the cold air south. These days it is quite pleasant in the evening here in Chiang Rai but with no cloud cover the sun is intense during the day.

El Nino is particularly extreme this year due to Global Warming. Thailand forecast is droughts and heatwave conditions. Hot and getting hotter. Drought warning has already been issued for Thailand.

"the world is always in a constant change. Impermanence is permanence." Yes, over thousands of years climates gradually change. Not over 50 to 100 years. That would be unprecedented.

"More concrete, fewer trees?" No effect, unless someone has started concreting the Oceans.

"Or as you said, an outlyingly hot year." Yes it is going to be a hot year globally due to El Nino and Global Warming. Over the past 50 years the Earth has warmed by 1.7OC by the end of this century it is expected to warm between 6-8OC. Not many people will be living in Bangkok. It will have sunk by then.

OK so you think deforestation has no effect and concrete manufacture doesn't release pollutants +CO 2, big statement, but up 2 u.

Did you want to rent about it, rant about it or vent about it? I'm guessing vent.

We do have to translate the language of the less literate of us on Thai Visa quite frequently. Mai Bpen Rai, it adds to the entertainment.

The last two years in particular, and not just here....went home for the summer and found lakes and rivers at the lowest levels in decades. Does anyone know what the statistics for Thailand actually say?

"Totally mis-manged by morons" ??

OK so you think deforestation has no effect and concrete manufacture doesn't release pollutants +CO 2, big statement, but up 2 u.

While deforestation has an effect, concrete manufacture is less polluting because cement re-absorbs carbon dioxide when mixed with water.

CaO + CO2 ---- CaCO3. Although you are correct overall when the Second Law of Thermodynamics is taken into account.

While deforestation has an effect, concrete manufacture is less polluting because cement re-absorbs carbon dioxide when mixed with water.

CaO + CO2 ---- CaCO3. Although you are correct overall when the Second Law of Thermodynamics is taken into account.

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/05/09/emissions-from-the-cement-industry

Cement Emissions

The production of cement releases greenhouse gas emissions both directly and indirectly: the heating of limestone releases CO2 directly, while the burning of fossil fuels to heat the kiln indirectly results in CO2 emissions.

The direct emissions of cement occur through a chemical process called calcination. Calcination occurs when limestone, which is made of calcium carbonate, is heated, breaking down into calcium oxide and CO2. This process accounts for ~50% of all emissions from cement production.

Indirect emissions are produced by burning fossil fuels to heat the kiln. Kilns are usually heated by coal, natural gas, or oil, and the combustion of these fuels produces additional CO2 emissions, just as they would in producing electricity. This represents around 40% of cement emissions. Finally, the electricity used to power additional plant machinery, and the final transportation of cement, represents another source of indirect emissions and account for 5-10% of the industry’s emissions.

In early October around the 10th we had a few days of cold weather. It was about 21 to 23 for a number of days. The tracksuit trousers came out.

Even this month I have noticed it is cooler which is great. With the breeze blowing it cool things down when in the shade.

I live near Phayao