Booze banned during Loy Krathong festival

Jonathan Fairfield

Booze banned during Loy Krathong festival

5410896759_f4007286bf_b.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The authorities, experts at ruining everyone's fun, have decided to ban booze sales in areas where the Loy Krathong festival will be celebrated.

Citing that good old excuse "public safety", officials are taking the step for next Wednesday's festival, where volunteers will patrol the festival to make sure no one sneaks in contraband booze, according to Bangkok Post.

The decision to ban alcohol and control other dangerous items like balloons and floating lanterns during the festival was taken by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/20/booze-banned-during-loy-krathong-festival

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-21

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's banned in areas where Loy Krathong is being celebrated.

If want to drink, go somewhere else.

If want to take part in Loy Krathong celebrations accept you have to do it sober...or at least no drunker than when you arrive.

It's hardly the end of the world.

Bravoooo Thailand, the only country in the world that ban booz on festivities... would it make any different?

I don't think so... and if you want to make this festive season very safe, how about banning Loy Krathong

all together?

What's really funny is that my closest local shop is located on a major road that sees loads of traffic, I can walk in there and buy beer/whiskey at any time of the day, every day, and nobody thinks anything of it. I think folks are fooling themselves with these bans, but they're entertaining nevertheless.

What's really funny is that my closest local shop is located on a major road that sees loads of traffic, I can walk in there and buy beer/whiskey at any time of the day, every day, and nobody thinks anything of it. I think folks are fooling themselves with these bans, but they're entertaining nevertheless.

Spot On !

My local shop was told to sell alcohol only during the times in force at supermarkets, 7-11 etc so they complied by wrapping bottles and cans in newspaper which was more obvious than a plastic bag of cans.

Now they don't even bother with the newspaper and have never been visited by any officials despite the municipal building being at the top of the soi.

I don't know of any ' arrangements ' that may have been made.

If want to take part in Loy Krathong celebrations accept you have to do it sober...or at least no drunker than when you arrive.

Quite. Who cares? - the world over authorities have alcohol free zones.

I'm really getting a strong impression that key members of the government are serious teetotalers and generally not keen on having any fun.

Oh, believe me: they are having fun!

It's us, they don't want to have fun!

Why?

Because they can!

Good post, why do people need to drink anyway. We are in Thailand so abide by the law or do not go to a festival.This is the best one of the year,booze,fireworks and lanterns are a combination for disaster, good call Thailand

Lucky i would say. 2 shops i know were shgut for 30 days plus a 20,000 baht fine, 1 shop is a friend of ours, she exepted she was doing something ilegal.

You'll fit good to North Korea or Saudi Arabia...Always let these above decide smile.png for my life. They know bettersmile.png

I really almost feel sorry for you drunken slobs out that just need another excuse to get drunk. You are drunk all the time and I have no desire to be near you. Cheap boze is the most important reason you even come to Thailand and think you know everything about Thailand, well you do NOT.

I really almost feel sorry for you drunken slobs out that just need another excuse to get drunk. You are drunk all the time and I have no desire to be near you. Cheap boze is the most important reason you even come to Thailand and think you know everything about Thailand, well you do NOT.

Were you drunk when you posted this?

:)

Cheap booze in Thailand?

Where are you from? IS, UK, or similar?

Beer in Thailand is expensive & bad.

And any drinkable strong alcohol is very expensive too.

I really almost feel sorry for you drunken slobs out that just need another excuse to get drunk.

While I get your drift, it's not so much a case of another excuse to get drunk as it is about someone making it even slightly inconvenient to get drunk for a few hours each year. Like it upsets some kind of equilibrium in the world.

I won't count this one toward the 200+...

You'll fit good to North Korea or Saudi Arabia...Always let these above decide smile.png for my life. They know bettersmile.png

Really?

Because I happen to believe that drunken morons spoiling events that may include families with children is a bad idea that makes me a supporter of totalitarian rule?

Because I can accept that there are times when drinking is perfectly acceptable and others when it is not that makes me a supporter of totalitarian rule?

Because I feel if you want to drink you should avoid events where it is banned that makes me a supporter of totalitarian rule?

What a strange world you do live in.

Archived