2016 Avanza vs Mobilio

Manassas

Shopping for a car that can hold people and cargo while still navigating small sois. I have it generally narrowed down to the Toyota Avanza or Honda Mobilio. (The Innova and CRV seem a bit large for parking and turning on small sois.) I like the interior layout of the Avanza because its seats fold down completely. But many reviews say the Mobilio delivers more power, albeit with the same size motor. While Toyota is well thought of as a brand, I am concerned the Avanza may not have sufficient power with auto transmission for passing on the highway. Also, dealers are all out of 2015s, so am waiting for 2016s to ship next month.

Any of you car buffs have thoughts on this?

You would need to test drive them......... myself tested the Avanza in 2004 it is body on truck frame.........the on road driving was little different than driving a truck only was very under powered [back then only engine was 1.3] No I did not buy, the Jazz was so much better..

Edit: As for more power

Honda = i-vtec and 120 hp

Toyota = 101 hp

in the same group/class you have the Chevy Spin [107 hp], and the Suzuki Ertiga = the cheapest price and 95 hp.

Edited by ignis

Thanks. Waiting for the new models to arrive so I can test drive them both. But from what I gather from the internet, the 2016 changes are largely cosmetic rather than mechanical.

You may also consider the new honda br-v. It has the same engine as the jazz but a much nicer interior. It should be on display at the motor show but not sure when it is on sale. Price is up to mid 800K baht or so. Might be worth a look too. I've been a passenger in an avanza many times but did not like the ride. Give it a miss if it has the old 4 speed box in it. It's very dated now.

Avanza is a re badge job, not a Toyo.

Not sure.... thought Toyota took over Daihatsu a few years ago.... ?

So is the same as Chevy took over Daewoo, but some places there still called Daewoo's brand new. maybe was re-branded in 2012 ?

Defend the rubbish if you like,but if i buy something i want it designed by the Company i trust. I dont want to find out later my Rolex was built and designed by Timex....Up yo You if You think thats fair and honest.How many realized till they had bought an Avanza it was a cheap Korean Car. Just like the Chevy Accountants Con in my book with their Saloons here. The Cruze being the Classic Con.

Defend the rubbish if you like,but if i buy something i want it designed by the Company i trust. I dont want to find out later my Rolex was built and designed by Timex....Up yo You if You think thats fair and honest.How many realized till they had bought an Avanza it was a cheap Korean Car. Just like the Chevy Accountants Con in my book with their Saloons here. The Cruze being the Classic Con.

So far as I am aware Daihatsu is/was a Japanese Company, the Avanza was built in Indonesia.. no idea where Korea comes into this ?

Chevy Cruze Diawoo and the Badge Cons is Korean. Honda tried it once here with an Isuzu cheapo truck sold as the Honda Hiwaymaster or something like... .Point is that their Con ruined their sales for a while with all their range. You think its Honest then your an Accountant in my book.coffee1.gif

I bought a new Avanza 'Touring' in March 2014 and to date have done 25000kms. It is true that it is not a 'real' Toyota - they bought the license from Daihatsu because they wanted an entry level 'people mover' - but it has the full Toyota service system behind it.

I have found it adequately fast on the race track aka Route 7, although I rarely exceed 120kph. Frankly I think its a very good buy, its not sexy but it does the job. Some things to note.

1) Toyota do not provide adequate instructions in English - Thai and Indonesian.

2) The Touring (don't know about others) does not have a CD player but the entertainment system is fine if you use Bluetooth. It has an extensive GPS and service system connected to your smartphone called T-Connect. Using Bluetooth your Smartphone is also connects to the system so that you have hands-free phone available.

3) I have found the local Toyota service station to be very efficient - a regular service, under warranty, takes an hour or so along with a wash.

4) The Avanza comes with Dunlop tyres which I find deflate by 10% pretty quickly - I understand this to be a common problem with Dunlop.

5) The transmission is quite noisy which presumably comes from its mini-van origins - a VAN za.

6) It runs on E20 or 91 - it has a full tank range of about 470kms.

7) It has a very small turning circle which is good for lek lek sois and car parks.

8) The reversing camera is just a basic fish-eye lens with no distance indicators - I installed rear proximity sensors for THB1500 - Toyota do not provide them

I think its a good car, you wont get admiring glances from passersby but it does what its meant to in reasonable comfort.

Chevy Cruze Diawoo and the Badge Cons is Korean. Honda tried it once here with an Isuzu cheapo truck sold as the Honda Hiwaymaster or something like... .Point is that their Con ruined their sales for a while with all their range. You think its Honest then your an Accountant in my book.coffee1.gif

How many realized till they had bought an Avanza it was a cheap Korean Car

Toyota Avanza or is it ? in Indonesia where the Thai Avanza comes from is called Daihatsu Xenia

post-42643-0-70322800-1448185000_thumb.p

post-42643-0-70700200-1448185028_thumb.p

Edited by ignis

Nit Picking Ignis. My point is if Richard Branson orders a New Boeing for Virgin, he expects Honesty, not a Re Badged Tupolov from Russia at Boeing Prices. The Avanza Cars O.K. its the deception.. VW made an entry levell Porsche years ago but declared it honestly stating thats why its cheap for a Porsche. THAT HONESTY.thumbsup.gif

Nit Picking Ignis. My point is if Richard Branson orders a New Boeing for Virgin, he expects Honesty, not a Re Badged Tupolov from Russia at Boeing Prices. The Avanza Cars O.K. its the deception.. VW made an entry levell Porsche years ago but declared it honestly stating thats why its cheap for a Porsche. THAT HONESTY.thumbsup.gif

It is still nothing to do with Korea, or Korean Cars....

But what are you getting if you buy a Avanza ?????? it is very clear...

quote: Daihatsu designed and manufactures the vehicle, which is then sold by both Daihatsu and Toyota under Xenia and Avanza name plate respectively.

Edit: Guess a few years ago Rover UK was the same, re-badge Honda's....... so were you buying a Rover or a Honda ?

Edited by ignis

quote: Daihatsu designed and manufactures the vehicle, which is then sold by both Daihatsu and Toyota under Xenia and Avanza name plate respectively.

Edit: Guess a few years ago Rover UK was the same, re-badge Honda's....... so were you buying a Rover or a Honda ?

Missed your last bit,Yes Honda Rover was announced to the World Rover was now Honda Thats not sneaky like slipping an Avavza in and buyers finding out later.

Missed your last bit,Yes Honda Rover was announced to the World Rover was now Honda Thats not sneaky like slipping an Avavza in and buyers finding out later.

Ace of Pop.. I am not trying to nit pick........

I just do not understand what is wrong with the Avanza name or dishonest ?

Toyota own Daihatsu they also own Lexus and 16 others under the Toyota Motor Corporation ........... Quote: Toyota Motor Corporation produces vehicles under 5 brands, including theToyota brand, Hino, Lexus, Ranz, and Scion etc

Edited by ignis

I try again.Toyota is a respected Brand.. Now if You bought for arguments sake A mini Land Rover and found out later they had no part in its design and it was a Suzuki would you be happy to have someone tell you later it ain't a genuine one

not good to say as I would much prefer Suzuki over a Mini Land Rover......

But the problem the list is endless, same car with different names.

so what are you buying, if you buy a Subaru BRZ ? is it a Subaru or a Toyota 86GT ?

the all new Fiat 124 Spider for 2016, is it ? or is it a Mazda MX5 ?

Even Honda badges on cars that have nothing Honda about them but are re-badge on a Suzuki. Isuzu, Daihatsu and so on.

Smart Fortwo, is what ? a Smart ? Subaru ? Suzuki ?

The same car with a different badge has gone back years.. Morris, Austin, Worsley, Riley, MG, Vanden Plas, all the same car with different name badge on.

Easy, my mother has onesmile.png Designed/built by Daimler AG with a sprinkling of VW. Engine is Mtsubishi. Manufacturing plants in France and Slovenia.

Edited by VocalNeal

Easy, my mother has onesmile.png Designed/built by Daimler AG with a sprinkling of VW. Engine is Mtsubishi. Manufacturing plants in France and Slovenia.

OK if you say so.......... Subaru has them here have seen at least 2..

post-42643-0-09965700-1448264263_thumb.j

..and I thought I needed glassessmile.png

That is a Subaru R1

This is a Smart Fortwo

smart-fortwo-genius-limited-edition-intr

At least 2 1/2 feet shorter

Subaru is front engine FWD

Smart is rear engine RWD.

Zero commonality but yes they both have steering wheels.

Yes there are Smart Fortwo's in Bangkok. And there is a Smart Brabus thumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Yep got it very wrong, sure I read it somewhere, so looked it up this morning, as memory is not what it was, but I do remember seeing a 'Smart' that was not a Smart by Daimler AG

So appear part right with Suzuki, photo of the Suzuki engine 1.1 lt in the 'Noble'

post-42643-0-14897900-1448329567_thumb.j

The Chinese have a Copy

post-42643-0-47440800-1448330098_thumb.j

Even the Scion IQ or with another badge on Toyota IQ looks very much the same [Yes was Scion NOT Subaru I was thinking of]

post-42643-0-39283500-1448330990_thumb.j

Edited by ignis