Work Visa For Foreign Freelance Film, Television And Commerical Workers

I'm a Swiss/US dual national, and I work in the film business in various capacities, primarily as a Director of Photography. I've spent quite a bit of time in Thailand on 30 day VOAs, splitting my time between the US and Thailand. However I don't have a Thai wife or family or anything like that.

Recently I've come across opportunities to work in Thailand. I understand that there are some special rules for foreign workers who come to Thailand for short term employment in films, as actors, directors and so forth, but I've never heard of anyone actually taking advantage of them. It seems that the foreign workers are mostly paid cash. In my case I don't think this is a viable long-term strategy, as my daily rate plus equipment rentals for a typical commercial is going to add up to an amount of money far in excess of what people generally feel comfortable walking around with.

I have two interrelated problems: staying in the country for 90 days or more, and working in the country legally. I assume that I can just get a multiple entry tourist visa in Los Angeles, but I would prefer a more kosher alternative. Obviously I cannot get a work permit, as I work for multiple employers on a temporary basis. I have considered starting my own company in Thailand, but there would be no way to employ the requisite number of Thais permanently in order to satisfy the WP regulations.

At the moment I am leaning towards incorporating offshore, such as in Hong Kong, and simply sending my checks there. But I'm not entirely clear on the legality of this. Are foreign companies allowed to do any kind of business in Thailand? What about equipment rentals and consulting?

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

Obviously I cannot get a work permit, as I work for multiple employers on a temporary basis.

Why can't you get a work permit? If you formed a company, they are employing the company.

I have considered starting my own company in Thailand, but there would be no way to employ the requisite number of Thais permanently in order to satisfy the WP regulations.

You do not need to employ one Thai to get a work permit.

Are foreign companies allowed to do any kind of business in Thailand?

Not unless they have applied for the Alien Business License.

What about equipment rentals and consulting?

Same, it's on List 3 of restricted business. The best way is to form a Thai company with a Thai joint venture partner.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com