Adult acne. Alternatives to oral antibiotics.

mommysboy

I've suffered spots like teenage acne for most of my teenage and then adult life, they come and go in patches mainly on my cheeks, nose, and in oily areas around head and neck. They have been particularly bad lately and the last one produced a rather nasty boil. They heal up quickly but it is such a bind. They don't appear on my back or chest anymore. Normally, I just let them go untreated, but now I have a baby and I am feeling very inhibited about even pecking her on the cheek because I don't want her to be a carrier of whatever I have on my skin. I want rid of the spots although I understand the p.acne itself can only be subdued for as long as I take antibiotics.

I went to various doctors in the past, and the explanation more or less correlated: teenage type acne, no underlying health issue, not nearly serious enough for roaccutane. No reason for them other than that is the way it is. In fact I seem to getting them all the more when eating healthily and being happy. Fortunately the tetracycline drugs wipe them out in next to no time, and I understand doxycycline is one of the safer antibiotics unlikely to cause GI problems.

Nevertheless, I wondered if anyone could suggest a topical solution, other than the usual stuff which really doesn't work for me. in all honesty, dietary considerations are just not applicable to this type of skin condition.

Before going sleep at night, and after washing all the acne areas with soap, cover all with body powder,. and do that every night. Try for a week to see if makes a difference. If do, continue doing it every night.

Acne is not a communicable disease. You cannot and will not "infect" your baby.

If you believe the acne has worsened then you should consult a Dermatologist rather than seeking a "magic" cure here.

The link contains useful information some of which you may be aware of.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acne/basics/definition/con-20020580

Read the link.

If you want advice about a Dermatologist then indicate where you are living and someone will provide a recommendation.

Acne is not a communicable disease. You cannot and will not "infect" your baby.

If you believe the acne has worsened then you should consult a Dermatologist rather than seeking a "magic" cure here.

The link contains useful information some of which you may be aware of.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acne/basics/definition/con-20020580

Read the link.

If you want advice about a Dermatologist then indicate where you are living and someone will provide a recommendation.

Yes quite right p.acne we all have as part of the natural make up of our skin. It's just that some acne can be caused by golden staph (I think) it is called which colonise the nose. The ones on my nose coincide with a runny nose sometimes. Could just be wiping it though.

I am not after a magic cure, have consulted dermatologists in the past and just wondered if medicine had advanced to the stage where there there is a viable topical cure rather than taking doxy.

Accutane orally would be the most definitive cure but has its risks and is prescription only in Thailand.

Accutane can also be used topically (Retin-A and generic equivalents). It is OTC in Thailand. It takes time (months) to work and may initially make it worse before it gets better. It makes the skin super sensitive to sun so essential to use a strong sun block during the day.

See http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/tretinoin-topical-route/proper-use/drg-20066521

Accutane orally would be the most definitive cure but has its risks and is prescription only in Thailand.

Accutane can also be used topically (Retin-A and generic equivalents). It is OTC in Thailand. It takes time (months) to work and may initially make it worse before it gets better. It makes the skin super sensitive to sun so essential to use a strong sun block during the day.

See http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/tretinoin-topical-route/proper-use/drg-20066521

My life-long acne was cured by accutane and I am forever grateful. It was a painful 3 months (horribly dry skin, cracked lips, joint pain, etc), and I was taken off the drug early due to liver enzymes too high, but I have no regrets. For years, doctors gave me the same excuse...."not serious enough...". I would take it again if needed, as it has changed my life. I have 2 other friends that have been cured of their depressing situation, as well. Words cannot describe how good it feels to wake up every morning and see a clear face and body, and not spend hours in front of a mirror every day depressed and worried.

My life-long acne was cured by accutane and I am forever grateful. It was a painful 3 months (horribly dry skin, cracked lips, joint pain, etc), and I was taken off the drug early due to liver enzymes too high, but I have no regrets. For years, doctors gave me the same excuse...."not serious enough...". I would take it again if needed, as it has changed my life. I have 2 other friends that have been cured of their depressing situation, as well. Words cannot describe how good it feels to wake up every morning and see a clear face and body, and not spend hours in front of a mirror every day depressed and worried.

It's not serious enough for accutane. In fact taking antibiotics is questionable. It's sporadic. I'll likely go with usual regime of doxy, and then revert to maintenance dose and retinA cream. I'll be a bit more diligent this time.

The risks of Accutane have been vastly overblown. The most serious risk is still for pregnant women. Accutane and Retin A are not the same drug. I have no clue about Accutane prescription status here (I believe you that is may legally be prescription only) but it is readily available at all the beauty clinics in Bangkok. But I personally think if your liver blood test is fine, Accutane is the easiest and most effective way to treat acne. No need to mess around with creams that make your skin peal and overly sensitive to sunlight. Especially in Thailand you will run the risk of serious sun burns on the face.

It's not serious enough for accutane. In fact taking antibiotics is questionable. It's sporadic. I'll likely go with usual regime of doxy, and then revert to maintenance dose and retinA cream. I'll be a bit more diligent this time.

It doesn't need to be serious. Accutane is generally safe and a permanent fix. It used to only be prescribed for extreme cases, but not anymore. Consistently taking antibiotics for acne is far more risky in my opinion. Especially with all of the antibiotic resistant germs these days. Edited by inbangkok

It doesn't need to be serious. Accutane is generally safe and a permanent fix. It used to only be prescribed for extreme cases, but not anymore. Consistently taking antibiotics for acne is far more risky in my opinion. Especially with all of the antibiotic resistant germs these days.

Safe ??

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6661/accutane-oral/details/list-sideeffects

I am having similar problems over the last few years due to being a particularly sweaty bloke. Recently had a nasty abcess/boil under arm and doctor put me on a course of antibiotics (forget which one) which cleared up that specific issue. Now have been prescribed Dalacin-T to apply to any spots that breakout and also a 10 day course of Rifampicin tablets (1 x 600mg daily before bed) which the doctor is hoping might deal with whatever the underlying problem is.

It doesn't need to be serious. Accutane is generally safe and a permanent fix. It used to only be prescribed for extreme cases, but not anymore. Consistently taking antibiotics for acne is far more risky in my opinion. Especially with all of the antibiotic resistant germs these days.

Safe ??

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6661/accutane-oral/details/list-sideeffects

Yes, generally safe. That link means nothing. Show me one drug that doesn't have an insanely long list of "potential" side effects.

Has the OP tried improving facial hygiene? Apply astringent to open the pores and then scrub the face with a soft brush and mild soap while showering. The astringent has a disinfectant effect, while still being mild enough to apply topically. Ethyl alcohol would be an option too, although some people with sensitive skin might find it too harsh. I'd also recommend not applying anything to the face that will block pores (makeup, powders, moisturizing creams). Change pillow cases twice a week.

Has the OP tried improving facial hygiene? Apply astringent to open the pores and then scrub the face with a soft brush and mild soap while showering. The astringent has a disinfectant effect, while still being mild enough to apply topically. Ethyl alcohol would be an option too, although some people with sensitive skin might find it too harsh. I'd also recommend not applying anything to the face that will block pores (makeup, powders, moisturizing creams). Change pillow cases twice a week.

Exact same thing I said and Kiehls has the best! Blue color toner/astringent and they have an outlet in Bangkok and ship for free

I can't imagine any decent doctor, and most are decent, would ever allow me to take accutane for my condition. It is for people with severe acne who don't respond adequately to other safer medicines.

You are free to believe what you want but you are operating on vastly outdated information. This was in fact the case a decade ago when I took it but there have been many studies since and there is now a far better understanding of the drug. It is even used now to treat oily skin. There are no shortage of decent Dr's (including here in Thailand) that wouldn't offer much resistance given your situation. Good luck whatever you choose.

Would a zinc lotion help with the treatment of mild acne?

The fact that antibiotics cure your acne in a short time is a strong indication that a bacterial infection is present. Instead of oral antibiotics, a suitable topically applied tetracycline derivative could be used, eg minocyline, if available in Thailand, otherwise an adequate oral dose.

I can't imagine any decent doctor, and most are decent, would ever allow me to take accutane for my condition. It is for people with severe acne who don't respond adequately to other safer medicines.

You are free to believe what you want but you are operating on vastly outdated information. This was in fact the case a decade ago when I took it but there have been many studies since and there is now a far better understanding of the drug. It is even used now to treat oily skin. There are no shortage of decent Dr's (including here in Thailand) that wouldn't offer much resistance given your situation. Good luck whatever you choose.

30 years sgo I must admit. My brother had a succesful course but he still gets a few spots. Half way through the course there was some alarm. I agree it is safe as long as the treatment is supervised. Perhaps fighting old battles to some extent. Wish they would have prescribed it then.

30 years sgo I must admit. My brother had a succesful course but he still gets a few spots. Half way through the course there was some alarm. I agree it is safe as long as the treatment is supervised. Perhaps fighting old battles to some extent. Wish they would have prescribed it then.

I understand. The reason I am so happy with what accutane did for me is because I had to suffer needlessly for 7 years trying antibiotics, tropicals, etc. I actually had to go on two 6 month cycles to permanently clear my skin! That's how bad it was! I was furious afterwards that I had to wait 7 years for it. It should have been offered to me far sooner, but Dr's still seemed worried about it then. My GF is currently on her second 3 month cycle of just one pill a day and it looks like her skin should stay clear and dry after this time.

Fingers off! No touching, squeezing (most goes down and not up)

SEBAMED acidious facial soap free soap

HEILERDE (healing earth from Germany for masks)

Good beauty shops have a vacuum suction device...

Change your diet? Lay off processed foods...

Good luck!

I understand. The reason I am so happy with what accutane did for me is because I had to suffer needlessly for 7 years trying antibiotics, tropicals, etc. I actually had to go on two 6 month cycles to permanently clear my skin! That's how bad it was! I was furious afterwards that I had to wait 7 years for it. It should have been offered to me far sooner, but Dr's still seemed worried about it then. My GF is currently on her second 3 month cycle of just one pill a day and it looks like her skin should stay clear and dry after this time.

Even the moderate acne I had as a youngster had a profound effect on the way I felt about myself, just at a time when it is important to look good and feel good about yourself. Fortunately I only have minimal scarring. And now this latest round has eased I feel so much less self conscious with the baby. But at 54 years old I think the time has come and gone for accutane.

But I concur this problem is best sorted sooner rather than later for a youngster. We are already prompting my step daughter. And if my child develops acne I am not going to hang about.

Fingers off! No touching, squeezing (most goes down and not up)

SEBAMED acidious facial soap free soap

HEILERDE (healing earth from Germany for masks)

Good beauty shops have a vacuum suction device...

Change your diet? Lay off processed foods...

Good luck!

I think standard acne is generally about sebum blocking pores, and is really just a minor random hormonal difference effecting some individuals more than others. It obviously afflicts mainly younger people at a stage in their life when they are in raging good health so I don't think it is a health and fitness issue. I also don't think it is diet dependent within reason, although the advice to cut down on processed food is generally good health advice.

Sebamed sounds interesting.