Monies collected at Temples

watgate

I read recently where a large temple in Lopburi collected in excess of 20 million baht for some event and it got me wondering where does all that money go. I would like to think, but my g/f says otherwise, that if one or more unfortunate folks needs medical care then the temple would help with the medical expenses. She says no and that the monies go for expansion of the temples and to help smaller temples with less financial clout. In any event, I would be interested in learning if anyone has any information or in fact knows where the monies collected at temples goes? With Loy Kratong upon us, I am always amazed at all the money being given to the temples and I hope some of it is being used to help the less fortunate.

There are lots of stories where the money goes in many cases......

My wife a very strong believer doesn't give 1 single Baht to any temple...she told something like only the poor temples outside/in the forest are taking it serious.....

Many temples do important things to help people and animals but also many temples mostly help themself.

Village temple, 300 m from here:

Multiple satellite antennas.

Multiple aircon rooms, "library".

Toyota Fortuner, daily cleaned to shine.

A van.

Other vehicles.

Multiple useless building expansions, huge hall build on big trunks of tropical wood. Used two or three times a year.

New building with a couple of aircon bedrooms, aluminum windows.

"Monks" wandering in the daytime to the shop, buying all kind of stuff.

Even worse: single "monks" or as a pair walking down the village road smoking, fiddling with their i-phone etc.

(they might be from an other place tough)

My wife never visits this temple, not a single contribution.

She spends food to a temple about 4 km out in the "jungle".

It took me long to understand why she (and the neighbors) ignore this temple close by,

When I am in Khon Kaen and walk at tukcom ([electronic] shopping center), what do I see?

You guess it.

"Monks" being advised by young female shop clerks about the latest i-phones or other smartphone models.

Thats were the money goes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

There is a temple in Ban Kruat that takes in multi millions of baht every year. About 15 years ago there was a fire in one of the monks rooms. Inside the room were 4 of those medium sizes water urns (ung) three of which were stuffed full of paper money, the remaining one was full of coins. Only the coins survived. No one knows how much the total loss was, but since then monies collected are regularly banked.

This same temple is at present building a mausoleum to house the remains of a well known monk who recently died. This is an elaborate building that must be at least 100 foot high, it towers over anything else in the town. Only Buddha knows how much it is costing. There always seems to be some sort of building or improvement going on at this place.

The only thing that I know of that this temple has done for the good of the ordinary people is that about 5 years ago they paid for an extra ward to be built onto the local hospital which is used to treat local children that need to be hospitalised.

Edited by Toknarok

I reckon the % of the monks who are what your looking for, good, concerned with local problems, give back to their village, etc are in line with the innocents who have been falsely convicted and are in prison in the western civilized countries. In Thailand the % may be about the same as a honest politician or policeman or the % of general public who took part in opinion poll, about corruption, who felt it was ok if it benifited them.

There is zero accountability for the money collected. The prior posters are correct, the monks all have the newest iPhones. Buddhist temples in Thailand are similar to the born again Christian ministries in the USA, it's all a business to make them wealthy. Relatively little goes to the people that need it.

Edited by inzman