Thai Id Card

asiaexpat

My wife and I are returning to Thailand after many years globetrotting. She is a Thai citizen but let her ID card expire. What is needed to renew the ID card and where must she apply? Any help is greatly appreciated as we have been away many years.

My wife and I are returning to Thailand after many years globetrotting. She is a Thai citizen but let her ID card expire. What is needed to renew the ID card and where must she apply? Any help is greatly appreciated as we have been away many years.

"To be issued with a smart ID card, you will need to bring your house registration paper (tabien baan) and your old ID card to the municipality or District Office (amphur) where you have registered your address."

Source: Phuket Gazette quoting the Head of ID Card Registration

Normally you take old ID card and home register (and pay fine for being late of about 40 baht I believe). It used to only be possible in home district but believe any District Office can issue these days. Be aware that there is a severe shortage of card blanks in Bangkok presently so they are asking most people to wait several months if possible. As poster is very late it seems and has been overseas I would take the passport but normally it is not a requirement.

Yes she can renew her ID card at any district she wants, but only if she has the original blue book- tabien baan with her. But if hers had expired more than a few yrs back, she should go to her original tabien baan district for renewal - less hassle. With the new biometric card - it should not take her more than 10 min to do + 10-30 min waiting time. I think it costs around 25 bths and I'm not sure about the amount of panalty fee for being late, but a few months back - I had paid about 200 bths - for being 15 yrs late.

Edited by teacup