Lawn mower breaks down, shop tells us we shouldn't have bought that brand.

giddyup

I think that I would buy a better alternative now but if the original one does get repaired then I would use it until it breaks again, which probably wont be too long!

I would also pay a visit to the consumer protection people at City Hall (take your receipts and a proper record of dates etc) as this is the sort of thing they should be interested in.

As for the shop not taking responsibility, this is typical. In 40 years here I've rarely known anyone to admit that they did something wrong. It's always someone else's fault.

Why should the shop take responsibility for the mower...they didn't manufacture it? They are a distributor of the product...big difference. Retail in Asia is not like "back home" where retailers (I.e., distributors) take back any purchase no questions asked...even worn underwear...to avoid a bad review online. Here it's up to consumers to do heir research and buy reputable brands from retailers whose return and service policies they understand and are okay with.

Yeah OK, my fault. The store tell me after I bought it that the mowers are rubbish and that I should have bought another brand. Well, why the hell are they stocking them if they know that they are a poor product? They don't warn you before you buy that they don't recommend that model because of poor reliability, do they? What you are saying is that a major store can sell any old rubbish they like, even something that is downright dangerous and they have no liability. What a crock!

I never had an electric mower in the west but tried one in my very small yard up country. This Chinese model burned out within 2 months and got sent away for 7 weeks? When they returned this reconditioned mower it lasted 2 cuts and burned out again, I threw it out rather than waiting for more junk to be fixed. I purchased a Chinese gas mower which lasted almost 1 cutting and quit in spite of everything being fine on lubricants and fuel. I took it back and after 2 hours of them trying to get it working they finally agreed to return my money. My next step was to buy a Honda mower (Honda Thailand only sells their top model here with self drive), I ended up having to get the local dealer build me one using a Honda engine for 12,500 baht. I did not want the big Honda mower with self drive for a small yard and pay 26,500 baht. I am sure the Honda engine will last many years and hopefully the other parts will too?

The same thing happened when I first purchased a trimmer, that Chinese model lasted a few months before I wrapped it around a tree in disgust.

I now buy Japanese, European or a western brand name to save money and more importantly save on frustration overload!!!

Giddyup - why they sell known garbage surprises me also but it is all about profits and these Chinese motorized tools must have been purchased cheaply and a large profit margin added?

Very few Thai's appear to use our western type tools and usually opt for a gas powered weed wacker to mow the lawn if and when needed.

Only thing to remember with petrol mowers is if your using unleaded which i think is recomended. if your leaving them unused for more than 5- 6 weeks empty the petrol tank else something happens? To the petrol and it clogs the carb up and it needs taking apart and cleaning.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I might add that Asgatec is not some obscure Chinese brand, but is carried by all the major retailers, Big C, Homeworks, Homepro, Thai Watsadu to name just a few. They not only carry the mowers, but hedge trimmers, edge trimmers and many other electrical tools with that brand name. So for those who started jumping all over me for making a bad choice (no bad feedback on Google that I could find), perhaps you need to do a bit of research yourself.

Edited by giddyup

I think that I would buy a better alternative now but if the original one does get repaired then I would use it until it breaks again, which probably wont be too long!

I would also pay a visit to the consumer protection people at City Hall (take your receipts and a proper record of dates etc) as this is the sort of thing they should be interested in.

As for the shop not taking responsibility, this is typical. In 40 years here I've rarely known anyone to admit that they did something wrong. It's always someone else's fault.

Why should the shop take responsibility for the mower...they didn't manufacture it? They are a distributor of the product...big difference. Retail in Asia is not like "back home" where retailers (I.e., distributors) take back any purchase no questions asked...even worn underwear...to avoid a bad review online. Here it's up to consumers to do heir research and buy reputable brands from retailers whose return and seruvice policies they understand and are okay with.

Sorry....I don't think your comment is entirely correct

Although they are a "distributor" .....they are actually THE seller......and are selling a product which they apparently know has a dubious history.......if they are failing to make the potential customer aware of it..........that could be construed as deception

Well thats my take on it

We've all experienced similar in the past.....but here there seems to be no recourse. ?

Why should the shop take responsibility for the mower...they didn't manufacture it? They are a distributor of the product...big difference. Retail in Asia is not like "back home" where retailers (I.e., distributors) take back any purchase no questions asked...even worn underwear...to avoid a bad review online. Here it's up to consumers to do heir research and buy reputable brands from retailers whose return and seruvice policies they understand and are okay with.

Although they are a "distributor" .....they are actually THE seller......and are selling a product which they apparently know has a dubious history.......if they are failing to make the potential customer aware of it..........that could be construed as deception

Well thats my take on it

We've all experienced similar in the past.....but here there seems to be no recourse. ?

I agree with you, but OMGIminPattaya seems to think we should all be researching everything we buy, before we buy it, even if it's a hammer I take it, otherwise it's a case of the customer is always wrong.

Why should the shop take responsibility for the mower...they didn't manufacture it? They are a distributor of the product...big difference. Retail in Asia is not like "back home" where retailers (I.e., distributors) take back any purchase no questions asked...even worn underwear...to avoid a bad review online. Here it's up to consumers to do heir research and buy reputable brands from retailers whose return and service policies they understand and are okay with.

Yeah OK, my fault. The store tell me after I bought it that the mowers are rubbish and that I should have bought another brand. Well, why the hell are they stocking them if they know that they are a poor product? They don't warn you before you buy that they don't recommend that model because of poor reliability, do they? What you are saying is that a major store can sell any old rubbish they like, even something that is downright dangerous and they have no liability. What a crock!

A retailers job is to move product...not save consumers from bad purchase decisions. Some stock reputable products and have reasonable return policies, while others have a mix of good and crap stuff. It's definitely a case of "caveat emptor" in these parts.

Well thats my take on it

What's your evidence they "know" the "dubious history" of the product in question...the opinion of one salesman? You do know that most of the salespeople in stores represent particular brands and are actually employees of that brand...not the store. Maybe the salesman bad-mouth the mower in question because he represents another brand.

Like I said, best to do own research and not bother with the pitchmen one finds in the stores.

A retailers job is to move product...not save consumers from bad purchase decisions. Some stock reputable products and have reasonable return policies, while others have a mix of good and crap stuff. It's definitely a case of "caveat emptor" in these parts.

I would have thought that a major retailer also has a responsibility to ensure that the products they sell are of a certain acceptable standard, not something they see as unreliable rubbish. It can't be any good for the reputation of the store, not to mention the time consumed in returning faulty products for repair. Anyway, I'll wait and see once I get the mower back how long it lasts. Neighbours have had the same brand of mower for several years without a problem, so maybe I just got a lemon.

Well thats my take on it

What's your evidence they "know" the "dubious history" of the product in question...the opinion of one salesman? You do know that most of the salespeople in stores represent particular brands and are actually employees of that brand...not the store. Maybe the salesman bad-mouth the mower in question because he represents another brand.

Like I said, best to do own research and not bother with the pitchmen one finds in the stores.

OMGI......I am not looking for an argument.....but didn't Giddyup say that they told his "missus" that they had already had reports of problems ?

With regard to the stores situation....even if the salesperson is a representative of a "concession" ....they are operating in the Stores premises.....so we the customers enter their store in the belief that they the store owner should be answerable if problems occur.

When I was researching lawn mowers a few months ago, the guys in Homepro told me of the history of some machines......which gave me the choice which to choose.....afterwhich it was down to me if I made the wrong decision

But lets not fall out over this........it's a case of 'Buyer Beware"........difficult here in Thailand (through language)I know

I bought a Chinese cheap electric mower and it ran for about a year before unsurprisingly dying.

Took it to the local electric repair shop, he put in a new motor with more winding? cost B1,000. Been running fine for years since.

That's a very good suggestion. If it fails again that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks.

Edited by giddyup

With respect to you lop. I have so much dust roaring around at the moment from the strong easterlies, which will only get stronger, that i can't wait to get my grass in.

Those tiles just hold and reflect heat, there's nothing to compare to a nice green lawn, and despite what Lop says, this is the perfect country for lawns, Plenty of rain, humidity and water is cheap. Our lawn is as lush as they come as my pic on the previous page testifies.

My opinion differs.

The issues I have had over the years here and in south Florida has been tropical sun in not friendly to grass without excessive use of water so for small city type home plots have found the tile option to be better and easier to care for - also keeps the tick population down a bit for the dogs and less attractive to crawling visitors.

• Like 1

My opinion differs.

The issues I have had over the years here and in south Florida has been tropical sun in not friendly to grass without excessive use of water so for small city type home plots have found the tile option to be better and easier to care for - also keeps the tick population down a bit for the dogs and less attractive to crawling visitors.

Here in Thailand there probably is "merit" for a mix of grass and tiles (or sandwash)

With regard to "Ticks" we suffered a severe outbreak this year...LUCKILY someone on TV recommended C1

We have been spraying the house and outside around the house and it seems to be winning as we have very few now......I also gave the big ginger ants a blast and they have disappeared

My opinion differs.

The lawn in my pic is of the broad leaf variety, was planted around 5 years ago, gets watered for an hour or so maybe twice a week and is as green and lush as they come, tropical sun withstanding.

Buy a petrol mower. That's all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not all at all. Absolutely nothing wrong with electric mowers. I just got a bad one.

It's not just mowers, I've had a strimmer, leaf blower and hedge trimmer all of the same brand as yours and all failed in one way or another within a year or so.

Giddyup ,

Just an alternative suggestion for your turf but have you researched using growth regulator like Primo . There are many advantages including only needing to more less. It will also thicken your turf by reducing the length between nodes and you will have a finer turf blade whilst you continue using it . It sounds like you are using Malaysian Grass , or carpet Grass which was once a Paspalum but now is called Axonopus compressus .In Oz, i would say 80-90 % of all greens , especially ,would have Primo applied every 4-6 weeks at least through the warmer seasons . Where i work all our sporting fields and many of the high profile parks have a scheduled application program. You still need to cut of course so you will still need a mower so it will not completely solve your initial problem .

If you need more info or availability i would check out some of the Aussie greenkeepers/superintendents working on golf courses around your area . I know there are a few around Pattaya but they tend to move around as the pay is not good in Thailand compared with other countries.

Here is one article on growth regulators : http://www.lawn-care-academy.com/plant-growth-regulators.html

Anyway it is just an idea for you and may not be what you are looking for.

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread has convinced me to keep my old mower. It is a Black And Decker electric mower that cost about 5000 baht 12 years ago and still works great.

The trouble is, the power/cut out switch has a problem. I have decided to replace it. I would like to replace the whole unit, you know the part I mean, the plastic handle we pull to make it run - it has the safety button you have to push before you can pull the plastic handle to start the motor.

I am going to try to buy this part at the 'mom and pop' store in Central Pattaya - opposite Foodland - they seem to have everything. If they don't have it, do you know of any store that sells this kind of part. It does not need to be Black and Decker, this type of switch is used on most electric mowers and I can easily fit an extra bracket if the attachment is a different size.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I found this thread - is this place in North Pattaya still here do you know - I think I know the shop they mean - I will try anyway later today.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777653-black-decker-service-centre-in-pattaya/

Edited by dsfbrit

Just a follow-up. I had the mower returned, after sending it back for repair, one month later. Minus a wheel. However, Thai Watsadu replaced the wheel and I took it home for a test run. Wow, what a difference! It was like the new electric motor had been supercharged. Have mowed the lawn several times since it's return without any problems. Let's hope it lasts.

• 6 months later...

I spent some great times from 2000 to 2002 in Pattaya and sometimes meet expats who have built or bought homes in or near Pattaya. Nearby hospitals, shopping, tourist attractions for visitors. For many retires that might be better than an Isaan Village lifestyle. For the past 10 years I have enjoyed rural living in isaan. For three small lawn plots of Malaysia grass the made in China Talon brand electric mower did not seem dependable. The made in Sheffield England Bosch Rotak 34 has proven dependable. That same model is now made by Bosch in the PRC. Today I spotted two well made self propelled mowers at the family owned tool repair shop that I patronize and recommend in Buriram. I often meet expats who might live part time in Pattaya getting tools and lawn mower repaired in Buriram. I asked the English speaking Thai Chinese owner about Asgatec brand and Euro brand lawn mowers and garden tools. He was very clear why he will not sell or repair those brands. The difficulty in obtaining parts at a fair price for his repair department and attitude of the distributors of those brands has kept him only recommending genuine Honda, Troy Bilt, Bosch and Briggs & Stratton powered lawn mowers. Better yet he has stated are the made in the USA Troy Bilt electric start mowers and the genuine top end Honda HRJ216 mowers for those with larger lawns. Thaiwatsadu is a responsible chain of Central Retailing and should have some English speaking staff at the headquarters to help the OP. I would be remiss to recommend a 2nd or third tier brand of lawn mower to a friend in Pattaya or Buriram when a top rated brand can be bought at a discount in Isaan and repaired at the same store. I did not understand the water hose plug on the Troy Bilt mower until I read the English language manual.

post-20604-0-33801400-1468925450_thumb.j

post-20604-0-23978800-1468925469_thumb.j

I have an Asgate as well as a couple of other cheaper power mowers but the wheel bearings have given up and they are a special type not sold in any bearing shop. So going to buy this one from Global House:

post-22250-0-35387100-1469077492_thumb.j

I have an Asgate as well as a couple of other cheaper power mowers but the wheel bearings have given up and they are a special type not sold in any bearing shop. So going to buy this one from Global House:

Did you look at Lazada? They have a lot of bearings now: http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-home-improvement/?dir=asc&itemperpage=120&q=bearings&sort=priceasc

I have a Asgatec now for 4 years. Work still very well. Onliest problem is I need a new blade (Standard blade) and can't buy it somewhere.

Emails from Ansgatec never been anwered.

Someone here know a shop in or around Pattaya who sale lawn mower blades?

Edited by snowgard