Lawn mower breaks down, shop tells us we shouldn't have bought that brand.

giddyup

I bought an Asgatec brand electric mower from Thai Watsadu and after 5 months it died. Took it back as it was still under warranty and was told it was a month to get it repaired as it had to go to BKK. The missus rang this morning as the month is up with no sign of the mower and was told that we shouldn't have bought that brand as they have a lot of problems with them! The missus asked the obvious question, if they are so bad why do you sell them? No sensible answer of course. It's not a brand that's uncommon, Homeworks and Homepro sell them as well, so they can't be that bad surely? Don't know whether to just buy another mower or wait indefinitely for the old one to be fixed.

I never had an electric mower in the west but tried one in my very small yard up country. This Chinese model burned out within 2 months and got sent away for 7 weeks? When they returned this reconditioned mower it lasted 2 cuts and burned out again, I threw it out rather than waiting for more junk to be fixed. I purchased a Chinese gas mower which lasted almost 1 cutting and quit in spite of everything being fine on lubricants and fuel. I took it back and after 2 hours of them trying to get it working they finally agreed to return my money. My next step was to buy a Honda mower (Honda Thailand only sells their top model here with self drive), I ended up having to get the local dealer build me one using a Honda engine for 12,500 baht. I did not want the big Honda mower with self drive for a small yard and pay 26,500 baht. I am sure the Honda engine will last many years and hopefully the other parts will too?

The same thing happened when I first purchased a trimmer, that Chinese model lasted a few months before I wrapped it around a tree in disgust.

I now buy Japanese, European or a western brand name to save money and more importantly save on frustration overload!!!

Giddyup - why they sell known garbage surprises me also but it is all about profits and these Chinese motorized tools must have been purchased cheaply and a large profit margin added?

Very few Thai's appear to use our western type tools and usually opt for a gas powered weed wacker to mow the lawn if and when needed.

• Like 1

Have you ever considered buying a goat?

They crop close to the ground, produce dung that is the best for Tomatoes, milk if its a Nanny, cheese eventually if you leave the milk around long enough and you can have mutton stew / curry when it eventually pegs it and lastly a rug/throw when its been skinned.

If it has big enough horns you can get is head mounted and claim it was a Big Horn you shot in the Rockies..... other than that buy concrete and forget the lawn. Life is too short for that grass cutting crap...

• Like 2

Have you ever considered buying a goat?

They crop close to the ground, produce dung that is the best for Tomatoes, milk if its a Nanny, cheese eventually if you leave the milk around long enough and you can have mutton stew / curry when it eventually pegs it and lastly a rug/throw when its been skinned.

If it has big enough horns you can get is head mounted and claim it was a Big Horn you shot in the Rockies..... other than that buy concrete and forget the lawn. Life is too short for that grass cutting crap...

Did you see the pic of our garden? You think concrete would look better nature boy? The lawn takes 30 minutes to cut once a fortnight, oh my buddha, what a chore.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

Yes I prefer my grass as well, tiles are okay for where you vehicles are parked and at the Thai kitchen but in the front of the house, grass any day.

My electric lawn mower has been good for 2 years now, don't know the brand name, overseas right now.

Astroturf ?

I'm the tree hugger here and I bought a house in the UK with a big lawn thinking it would be great for the kids to play on. Nightmare.... every bleeding week-end from March through to October. Had slopes and curves and not big enough to warrant a sit on mower. I have had numerous lawnmowers, electric, petrol, rotary, flymo and at the end of the day they all fall apart. I never had one last more than a few years. Had them maintained oil changes etc and still something would snap or clog or ping off. Or I would cut through the bleeding cable.

Lawns are a very British thing.... When I visited Norway and Sweden I saw many lawns not cut. Russia has parks with long grass, it only gets so high and then dies back in the winter. In the tropics I imagine its a year long battle labour of love...

I always used to enjoy doing the lawns every week back in Europe. It used to take about two hours with an aluminium-framed push rotary petrol mower that was 20 years old and on its second motor and fifth set of wheels, and good for another 20 years at least. It was good exercise but I dont think I would enjoy mowing a lawn here with the high humidity.

• Like 1

Buy a petrol mower. That's all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not all at all. Absolutely nothing wrong with electric mowers. I just got a bad one.

Petrol mowers have serviceable parts like cars, electric mowers don't

It seems your a cheap Charlie so I say buy cheap buy twice

That's all

Astroturf ?

I'm the tree hugger here and I bought a house in the UK with a big lawn thinking it would be great for the kids to play on. Nightmare.... every bleeding week-end from March through to October. Had slopes and curves and not big enough to warrant a sit on mower. I have had numerous lawnmowers, electric, petrol, rotary, flymo and at the end of the day they all fall apart. I never had one last more than a few years. Had them maintained oil changes etc and still something would snap or clog or ping off. Or I would cut through the bleeding cable.

Lawns are a very British thing.... When I visited Norway and Sweden I saw many lawns not cut. Russia has parks with long grass, it only gets so high and then dies back in the winter. In the tropics I imagine its a year long battle labour of love...

Fake grass is becoming more popular in uk now

As I do garden maintenance I prefer lawns & petrol mowers

Buy a petrol mower. That's all

That's not all at all. Absolutely nothing wrong with electric mowers. I just got a bad one.

Petrol mowers have serviceable parts like cars, electric mowers don't

It seems your a cheap Charlie so I say buy cheap buy twice

That's all

You don't need a petrol mower to mow about 50 sq. metres of lawn. Price has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

You should have recorded that phone conversation, then filed a claim for full refund with OCPB, on the base that Thaiwatsadu scammed you knowing that they were selling a bad product.

They sell Asgatec for many years already, as they do also on their other Hardware store Homeworks.

I always used to enjoy doing the lawns every week back in Europe. It used to take about two hours with an aluminium-framed push rotary petrol mower that was 20 years old and on its second motor and fifth set of wheels, and good for another 20 years at least. It was good exercise but I dont think I would enjoy mowing a lawn here with the high humidity.

Sounds like Triggers brush from Only Fools and Horses.

I like the idea of a Goat!

• Like 2

Sounds like Triggers brush from Only Fools and Horses.

I like the idea of a Goat!

A goat will eat everything, not just the lawn.

Not if its chinesewhistling.gif

• Like 1

i guess the original mower will probably break again so you may as well buy a new one. i have an electric bosch in the uk, cost about £70 (3500baht) and bought five years ago. i have a largish uneven country garden that takes two hours to mow. the mower is still going strong. a workhorse. in my opinion going cheap on electrical and clothing goods is a false economy.

• Like 1

I think that I would buy a better alternative now but if the original one does get repaired then I would use it until it breaks again, which probably wont be too long!

I would also pay a visit to the consumer protection people at City Hall (take your receipts and a proper record of dates etc) as this is the sort of thing they should be interested in.

As for the shop not taking responsibility, this is typical. In 40 years here I've rarely known anyone to admit that they did something wrong. It's always someone else's fault.

Why should the shop take responsibility for the mower...they didn't manufacture it? They are a distributor of the product...big difference. Retail in Asia is not like "back home" where retailers (I.e., distributors) take back any purchase no questions asked...even worn underwear...to avoid a bad review online. Here it's up to consumers to do heir research and buy reputable brands from retailers whose return and service policies they understand and are okay with.