"Jail-Broken," "Rooted"?

bangmai

I was paying my condo bill online with BKKBANK and in the margin were some tips on avoiding viruses/scams. #3 was "Do not make financial transactions with jail-broken (IOS) or rooted (Android) devices." I hadn't heard this before. Is "jail-broken" a funny translation for "unlocked" or something else? Something new everyday!

Edited by bangmai

Jailbreaking/Rooting mean the same thing really - getting admin permission not usually granted to users.

Which means that rogue programs running in such an environment have more permissions than they would usually get.

All my Android phones are rooted, because I want the extra permissions for various reasons.

Then again I don't do banking on my phone.

"unlock" and "root"/"jailbreak" are two different procedures.

unlocking does not necessarily require using a rooted OS.

rooting/jailbreak includes using the OS with administrative rights.

Advantage: full control, no more bloatware etc.

Disadvantage: fully open to all kind of virus/trojans.

Same stupidity as most MS Windows operated devices.

The bloat-ware is annoying, but for me no reason to root and get exposed to all the s....

Best of all: I will never use one of these smart-phone gadgets for something "serious" like on-line banking.

Simply because I don't trust and don't know these devices.

That is reserved for real computers.

Yes, I am a conservative old fart.

My understanding is that in common usage, "Jailbreaking" refers to removing restrictions built in by a particular carrier restricting the phone to only their network, such as AT&T does with phones purchased under a 2 year service contract and significantly discounted.

"Rooting" in common usage refers more to getting into a phones operating system and modifying the manufacturers original content. An example is taking a phone originating in China with only Chinese apps and no Google access and "Rooting" it to use tools posted on technical websites to remove the Chinese "ROM" and replace with a more universal ROM.

My understanding is that in common usage, "Jailbreaking" refers to removing restrictions built in by a particular carrier restricting the phone to only their network, such as AT&T does with phones purchased under a 2 year service contract and significantly discounted.

"Rooting" in common usage refers more to getting into a phones operating system and modifying the manufacturers original content. An example is taking a phone originating in China with only Chinese apps and no Google access and "Rooting" it to use tools posted on technical websites to remove the Chinese "ROM" and replace with a more universal ROM.

No, Jailbreaking means elevating permissions. As said above, "Unlocking" is freeing the device from a carrier.

Sometimes "Unlocking" a device requires you to "Jailbreak" or "Root" it. Jailbreaking is the term used for Apple .

Rooting is generally used for the rest.

http://www.howtogeek.com/135663/htg-explains-whats-the-difference-between-jailbreaking-rooting-and-unlocking/

Edited by Chicog

I get those warnings daily, not a single baht had been stolen

I pay all the bills by scanning them and is auto debited from my bank account instantly

The root access is not automatically given to every application, you have to pick them and say yes or no

Obviously best to pick no if you have to ask what's the difference but personally I couldn't use unrootrd device....

I get those warnings daily, not a single baht had been stolen

I pay all the bills by scanning them and is auto debited from my bank account instantly

The root access is not automatically given to every application, you have to pick them and say yes or no

Obviously best to pick no if you have to ask what's the difference but personally I couldn't use unrootrd device....

All my android devices are rooted. In fact, I will not buy an android device, unless I can root it. Ok, one exception is my Minix X8-H Plus media box. I just use it for playing movies and other videos.

I need root on my devices as I use an OTFE (On The Fly Encryption) app to store and safeguard my data/photos/videos. My OTFE app requires root to work. I also use a firwall to block internet access to all apps/processes, except those I specifically approve. The firewall allows the blocking of WiFi and 3G data separately.

Why don't you just encrypt the phone?

Not the same. If your phone is on, it is accessable. OTFE data is available in unencrypted form ONLY when you access it, and it is never saved to the memory card or as temp files. Additionally, OTFE data will timeout if there is no activity for a predetermined period of time.