PCX 150 and YSS shocks upgrade questions

monkeyofdoom

Hey folks,

I have a PCX 150 but it feels not really planted and doesn't give a lot of confidence when cornering. I thought upgrading the shocks might be an improvement. But I have a few questions before I upgrade:

Should I upgrade the rear, the front, or both?

I'm thinking about the YSS G-Euro XL or XXL. My weight is 70kg and the rating for the XL is 50-70kg and for XXL it's 70-90kg... Which one will be the best choice? I never bottom out on the stock shocks, if that info helps.

If you did the upgrade: After the upgrade, how did the ride change for you? Would you do it again or just use the stock shocks?

Cheers!

Before you upgrade the shocks as at 70 kg you are not much weight for this bike, would be better to replace tyres with Michelin or a better tyre if you have a cheap Thai make fitted. Also make sure pressure in the tyres is correct

I'm single so whille I might have a passenger now and then, I'm optimizing for one-up riding. FYI the typical passenger will be around 45kg ;-)

I'm concerned that the XXL will be too harsh of a ride. Compared to the stock shocks, is it much stiffer? I'm not really looking to stiffen up the ride, but rather I'm hoping that better grade shocks will be better at keeping the tires planted on the road while still offering a smooth ride. Am I kidding myself?

Noted about the tires. I'm on the ones that came with the bike. Any particular model of Michelins that can be recommended?

I'm not sure what tyres are available for the PCX , but I use Michelin street pilots on my sport bike that are great in both wet and hot dry dusty roads and on my honda sonic I use Michelin m35 which I have also used on a yamaha nouvo, which transformed the handling and they where very cheap too. My experience of IRC tyres or any of the dirt cheap tyres are terrible road holding and very unnerving in the wet. As I said not sure what's available for the pc. As for shocks I would get fully adjustable ones that you can set up for preload and damping.

I'm single so whille I might have a passenger now and then, I'm optimizing for one-up riding. FYI the typical passenger will be around 45kg ;-)

I'm concerned that the XXL will be too harsh of a ride. Compared to the stock shocks, is it much stiffer? I'm not really looking to stiffen up the ride, but rather I'm hoping that better grade shocks will be better at keeping the tires planted on the road while still offering a smooth ride. Am I kidding myself?

Noted about the tires. I'm on the ones that came with the bike. Any particular model of Michelins that can be recommended?

The XXL YSS shocks are adjustable and easy to handle

Michelin Pilot Street tires are available for PCX.

Currently have three small bikes fitted with MPS's.

Good in wet and good longevity; not expensive.

Had a new 80/90-17 fitted to ceeber150 front today; B1000.

Old MPS had 'okay' tread @ 20,000km, but wanted 100% for upcoming Nan/Laos trip.

$29 why not? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally went for the YSS G-Plus XL and I am super happy with them. The bike is way more stable when cornering, highway cruising is still comfortable, and it just seems to be planted on the road now. Paid 4000 baht including fitting. The shop said go for the XL instead of the L, and although I didn't try the L, the XL are perfect for me.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I will look at a tyre upgrade next :-)