Clay bar a car at carwash before waxing, where can they do it ?

Hi, I see so many people waxing a car after wash without using a clay bat first to decontaminate it, don't they know that it's stupid to wax a car if you do not clean it deeply first ?

So the question is, do you know anybody or any car wash / car care where they can claybar your car to decontaminate it (and get smooth paint) before waxing it ?

Bangkok or Pattaya location welcome, thanks guys.

Edited by questionsreplies
  • Like 2

Hi, I see so many people waxing a car after wash without using a clay bat first to decontaminate it, don't they know that it's stupid to wax a car if you do not clean it deeply first ?

So the question is, do you know anybody or any car wash / car care where they can claybar your car to decontaminate it (and get smooth paint) before waxing it ?

Bangkok or Pattaya location welcome, thanks guys.[/quote

No ... my opinion is that it is not always necessary to clay a car before polishing.

It is very easy to buy a good quality fine clay here.

Wash the car yourself ... then test the surface as Mr IMHO suggests. I just use my hand though.

Then I just use car wash liquid and water ... same as washing and gently clay ... always in a front to back direction ... then you won't put swirls in ... should only take a few minutes. Just use plenty to lubticate.

Rince it off and then take it to the shop if you want.

To be honest you can apply HD Wax to a whole car in less than 10 mins ..leave for 20-30 mins and then buff off ... 5-10 mins ...DONE

• Like 1

Waxed my Ranger about a year ago, washed it just before the rainy season started. Might wash again in a week or so. Twelve years old and still looks very good with good shine after washing. Has been kept out of the sun all these years in my well-shaded carport when home with little travelling around these days. Saving my TLC for the boat.

Waxed my Ranger about a year ago, washed it just before the rainy season started. Might wash again in a week or so. Twelve years old and still looks very good with good shine after washing. Has been kept out of the sun all these years in my well-shaded carport when home with little travelling around these days. Saving my TLC for the boat.

If you rubbed your face against the paintwork ...would you get a shave .....sad.png

I think you're selling him into not washing it even more though - save on razors! :P

• Like 1

Hello,

Do you all polish/clay your car or know a place where to do it as OP asked ? And it's funny that some people still believe that their car looks nice after years just washing it or waxing sometimes... they have no idea how bad it looks if you look closely (thanks IMHO i know now :-) )

One more question, what can happen if you never use a clay bar on your car and only wax it ? it won't be nice only or its' actually bad for the paint also ?

• Like 1

Iv noticed that some car wash places use Sunlight. I don't think that using a clay bar will be much help to their customers.

OK first I've heard of that one ;)

Sunlight is an awesome window/glass cleaner though - I'm not sure I'd want to use it on plastics/rubber because it might dry them out. On paint, it's probably a very good wax stripper.

• Like 2

OK, for the op, here is one of the high end wash and polish shops in patts, which also does "glass" coatings. I checked and they use professional grade maguire mirror glaze polishes and can't remember the wax but I'm sure it's good stuff. They quote 4k for wash-polish-wash for a four-door pickup. For the glass coating it's 30-45k, which is good for 5-10 years respectively. If one does the glass bit, no need for any polishes during that time...just wash and wax.

They are located on Sukie, west side, between south and central roads. There are many of these shops in patts so you may want to shop around...I'm not endorsing this shop just providing the info (they are right next to the shop that did my annual testing and registration that I picked up this morning).

post-167660-0-83002000-1448508565_thumb.

post-167660-0-02110600-1448508615_thumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So you think that nowhere in Thailand they know what is a claybar ?

I don't know anything about glass coating or any of the technical stuff mentioned by IMHO like chemical cleaners but I get my car washed at Shell and then use Meguiar's clay bars and do the work myself at home. I then re-wash the car and apply sealant. I quite like doing it, but to answer the OP's original question, I'm fairly sure that if you bought a clay bar and asked any car wash place to use it, they'd oblige. Especially if you could explain what you wanted them to do in Thai.

• 1 month later...

So the reason why car coating shop charge 20000+ is the prep needed ?

And do you know the difference between nano coating, quartz coating, ceramic coating, etc...?

Thanks a lot.

The thing with claying is, while it cleans the paint (and removes any previous wax too), it also puts tiny scratches in the paint - so needs to be followed up with a polishing (cutting) step to remove those. But then, once you've used a compound to polish paint, you then need to use Isopropyl Alcohol / Eraser type cleaner to remove 100% of the compound residue before applying the wax.

Before you clay, you need to have as clean a surface as possible too - so that means washing it twice - once before claying, once again after. So overall it's:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Dry

Polish

Chemical clean (IPA / Eraser)

Wax

Well, that's the concours level method anyway tongue.png

If you don't want to go to those extremes, I suppose you could just:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Dry

Wax

There will be detailing centres that do both methods - just make sure you know what you're paying for I guess.

And do you know the difference between nano coating, quartz coating, ceramic coating, etc...?

Thanks a lot.

The thing with claying is, while it cleans the paint (and removes any previous wax too), it also puts tiny scratches in the paint - so needs to be followed up with a polishing (cutting) step to remove those. But then, once you've used a compound to polish paint, you then need to use Isopropyl Alcohol / Eraser type cleaner to remove 100% of the compound residue before applying the wax.

Before you clay, you need to have as clean a surface as possible too - so that means washing it twice - once before claying, once again after. So overall it's:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Dry

Polish

Chemical clean (IPA / Eraser)

Wax

Well, that's the concours level method anyway tongue.png

If you don't want to go to those extremes, I suppose you could just:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Dry

Wax

There will be detailing centres that do both methods - just make sure you know what you're paying for I guess.

It's a very involved process and takes a long time using well trained people using the proper tools and quality products. Basically, the car is completely detailed first and then the final sealant coat is applied and cured in a "clean room." With a used car, the goal is to bring back the paint to its factory condition before applying the final coat. The process can take up to a couple days.

Depending on the condition of the old paint, the car often looks like it has been repainted when the process is complete.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot.

At that price, you'd hope there was a big effort in preparing the paint first - but who knows?

Some of them might be trying to convince you that's the price of their product, and the labor is free, for all I know ;)

My only advice is to ask exactly what's included. If you can post that here, we can comment.

• Like 1

I am thinking of shampooing the car myself and use clay bar then wash it. After that sending the car to the car wash shop for high pressure car wash again. After all this, thinking of diy glass coating myself. Qns is do I use polishing from the shop before glass coating or it is't necessary? What will be the additional step to remove swirl/scratches in between?

• Like 1

I am thinking of shampooing the car myself and use clay bar then wash it. After that sending the car to the car wash shop for high pressure car wash again. After all this, thinking of diy glass coating myself. Qns is do I use polishing from the shop before glass coating or it is't necessary? What will be the additional step to remove swirl/scratches in between?

1. Wash

2. Dry

3. Clay bar (remove bonded surface contaminants)

4. Wash (to remove clay residue)

5. Dry

6. Cut (remove scratches, swirls, holograms, oxidization)

7. Polish (make it super shiny)

8. IPA clean (isopropyl alcohol / Carpro Eraser to remove all existing residues)

9. Glass coat (lock it in)

Those are the basic steps for a perfect result smile.png

For #6 and #7 you really do want a machine (dual action polisher recommended), and you'll also need appropriate cutting/polishing compounds.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

For #6 and #7 you really do want a machine (dual action polisher recommended), and you'll also need appropriate cutting/polishing compounds.

Some experience will help too. Very easy to buff thru the clear coat and the thin paint coatings these days, especially on sharp edges and around corners.

• Like 1

Some experience will help too. Very easy to buff thru the clear coat and the thin paint coatings these days, especially on sharp edges and around corners.

If using a rotary polisher, absolutely, but OTOH if you're using a rotary for the first time, the bigger issue will be just be keeping it under basic control ;)

Dual action polishers are super easy to control, even the very first time you use one, and do not carry the risks of damage. As they say, a child could do it ;)

• Like 1