Tourist Police Round-up Street Vendors Offering Pictures With Snakes And Monkeys.

britmaveric

Tourist Police round-up street vendors offering pictures with snakes and monkeys.

07_10_2_6.jpg

Our news today is dominated with stories connected with snakes. Unfortunately this story demonstrates how snakes and other animals are exploited here in Pattaya. Pattaya’s Tourist Police Division has received many complaints from Tourists about vendors who will offer pictures of snakes and monkeys for a modest fee. Many of these animals are mistreated by their owners and the owners do not possess the correct paperwork to be allowed to own the animal.

In the early hours of Saturday Morning, Police Captain Chirawat and a team of Tourist Police Volunteers toured South Pattaya and rounded-up the street vendors who were in possession of snakes or monkeys. Out of those that were detained, two male vendors who were in possession of snakes were arrested because they were not carrying any paperwork relating to the animal. They were processed and taken to Pattaya Police station and their snakes were confiscated and taken to a nearby snake farm where they will be cared for by professionals.

Should you have any problems with any street vendors you can call the Tourist Police on 1155, 24 hours a day.

-Pattaya City News

Saturday 7th October 2006

Calling 1155 gets you a responder who doesn't speak English for the record. This has been confirmed by Tourist Police volunteer and tv personality Howard Miller. Their published everywhere tourist "helpline" is actually manned by someone who doesn't speak English!!

I don't care who sells what on WS so long as they don't poke me or come anywhere near me with a tazer.

It is common knowledge that alot of these people go out into the jungle and shoot the mother in order to obtain that "cute little baby monkey" that gets their money for photos. When the monkey no longer makes money it is most likely either abandoned to fend for itself (when it has no skills to do so) or is killed.

Many of the snakes are endangered species, the continuous exploitation of wildlife for short term personal gain is not being foiled by "do gooders interefering" but rather concerned people who have some empathy for a creature that has no say in its own treatment or fate.

More do-gooder foreigners who think *they* know better than anyone else... it makes me sick when tourists come here and pull shít like this.

What are you on about do gooders? Maybe these tourists just dont like to see animals mistreated. :o

They are not pulling any shit, its people like you who walk around with blinkers on that make the problem worse, like sbk says most of these animals are ripped from their mothers when they are very young and spend their short lives being mistreated and battered, and then they are killed.

Would you find this acceptable in your home country? Images like this do nothing but damage Thailand as a tourist area, as people become more ecologically aware, then the longer this carries on the more tourists will choose to go somewhere else.

It is common knowledge that Thailand is one of the worst offenders of the cites treaty, and we should all take responsibility for stopping this cruelty to animals.

Maybe you should engage that thing between your ears before moving those fingers towards the keyboard, as when you don't engage the grey matter it just makes you look like and idiot

More do-gooder foreigners who think *they* know better than anyone else... it makes me sick when tourists come here and pull shít like this.

What are you on about do gooders? Maybe these tourists just dont like to see animals mistreated. :o

They are not pulling any shit, its people like you who walk around with blinkers on that make the problem worse, like sbk says most of these animals are ripped from their mothers when they are very young and spend their short lives being mistreated and battered, and then they are killed.

Would you find this acceptable in your home country? Images like this do nothing but damage Thailand as a tourist area, as people become more ecologically aware, then the longer this carries on the more tourists will choose to go somewhere else.

It is common knowledge that Thailand is one of the worst offenders of the cites treaty, and we should all take responsibility for stopping this cruelty to animals.

Maybe you should engage that thing between your ears before moving those fingers towards the keyboard, as when you don't engage the grey matter it just makes you look like and idiot

Love the signatures Daletboy, agree with your sentiments 100%

Yeah, totally agree with Daleyboy. Now I hope they can concentrate more on getting these little kids of the street selling stuff. :D

I'm with you there.I wonder how many of these Tourists complain about the exploited children...... :o

It was only upto roughly six months ago when walking up and down soi 7 and 8, baby elephants with a Thai handler charging 20bht for a foreigner to feed the elephant.

To my dismay I watched time and time again western men paying to feed the baby elephants. Obviously this was encouraging the following behaviour.

Mother elephants killed to steal the baby elephant

Baby elephant beat into submission behaving as the Thai handler requires

Every couple of years a holiday maker some where in the world is seriously injured or killed when these poor elephants go on a running stampede. If I remember correctly, with in the last 6 years this happened to a western lady on the streets of Bangkok (cannot remember the extent of the injury).

This isn’t cases of foreigners pulling sh^t or sticking there nose in. Pattaya is not Thailand, it is holiday land. Take the westerns out of here and Pattaya would be a fishing village once more, but this time without any fish. Westerners have a right to voice an opinion to any international city and the behaviour forced upon while visiting. Pattaya cannot have it both ways.

Pattaya city is no place for wild animals. This is cruelty at the highest level. This would not be tolerated in the west, and to the same extent western people should understand the seriousness of the situation while on holiday and disencourage such activities. This part is simple, do not pay to feed, photo, hold any animal.

I have posted on this forum before that any foreigner in soi7,8 paying to feed baby elephants deserves to be trampled. The truth is that normally the person injured is a innocent by stander, while the people helping to encourage this activity sit watching on.

I understand that people need to make a living to feed there family’s, but at the destruction of animals lives, animals family’s and well being, this is not on.

It was only upto roughly six months ago when walking up and down soi 7 and 8, baby elephants with a Thai handler charging 20bht for a foreigner to feed the elephant.

To my dismay I watched time and time again western men paying to feed the baby elephants. Obviously this was encouraging the following behaviour.

Mother elephants killed to steal the baby elephant

Baby elephant beat into submission behaving as the Thai handler requires

Every couple of years a holiday maker some where in the world is seriously injured or killed when these poor elephants go on a running stampede. If I remember correctly, with in the last 6 years this happened to a western lady on the streets of Bangkok (cannot remember the extent of the injury).

This isn’t cases of foreigners pulling sh^t or sticking there nose in. Pattaya is not Thailand, it is holiday land. Take the westerns out of here and Pattaya would be a fishing village once more, but this time without any fish. Westerners have a right to voice an opinion to any international city and the behaviour forced upon while visiting. Pattaya cannot have it both ways.

Pattaya city is no place for wild animals. This is cruelty at the highest level. This would not be tolerated in the west, and to the same extent western people should understand the seriousness of the situation while on holiday and disencourage such activities. This part is simple, do not pay to feed, photo, hold any animal.

I have posted on this forum before that any foreigner in soi7,8 paying to feed baby elephants deserves to be trampled. The truth is that normally the person injured is a innocent by stander, while the people helping to encourage this activity sit watching on.

I understand that people need to make a living to feed there family’s, but at the destruction of animals lives, animals family’s and well being, this is not on.

Well said !! :o

I watched time and time again western men paying to feed the baby elephants.

Not just the foreigners, down my way in Bangkok the Thais feed them all the time. Shame really, you'd at least hope they knew better about the plight of elephants used in this way.

Yeah, totally agree with Daleyboy. Now I hope they can concentrate more on getting these little kids of the street selling stuff. :D

I'm with you there.I wonder how many of these Tourists complain about the exploited children...... :o

Yeppers, totally agree :D

It was also very refreshing for Daleyboy to say something useful :D:D