Staying long term after wife passes

Not happen but after a scare last week at hospital it got me thinking. I am married on a retirement extension. So I know that is secure if I was (going to change to based on marriage in Nov 2016) on a based on marriage we do not have a child together but I have a step child. Would I qualify via the step child for a family type extension should the worst happen?????.

If your wife was to die your extension would remain valid until it runs out. That could give you time to change back to retirement.

The only extension possible would be based upon being the parent of Thai. It might possible to get the extension if you adopted your step child.

• Like 1

If your wife was to die your extension would remain valid until it runs out. That could give you time to change back to retirement.

The only extension possible would be based upon being the parent of Thai. It might possible to get the extension if you adopted your step child.

Just curious. Where is it written "If your wife was to die your extension would remain valid until it runs out."

When you get an extension either marriage or retirement you have to sign a form that basically states that the extension is invalid if the reason that you got the extension is no longer valid. If she dies doesn't this effectively terminate the extension?

Thanks clear precise answer how hard is it to adopt here might be a good move anyway to protect his intrests

I can only tell you that me an my Thai wife looked into me adopting her daughter ,and the hoops we would have to have gone through ,made it impractical in our case at least .Its not an easy process but check it out anyway ..Just don't expect it to be a walk in the park .

Just curious. Where is it written "If your wife was to die your extension would remain valid until it runs out."

When you get an extension either marriage or retirement you have to sign a form that basically states that the extension is invalid if the reason that you got the extension is no longer valid. If she dies doesn't this effectively terminate the extension?

I obtained my extension of stay based on marriage in August 2014. My wife died in October 2014 and I was allowed to stay in the country until my extension was due to expire in 2015, at which point I changed the basis of extension to be based on work. I am still here and never left the country. You will need to submit a document requesting for change in basis of extension. If I had wanted to I could have changed the basis of extension to be my son, who is a Thai national.

Please see this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751014-annual-extensions-based-on-natural-thai-child-of-over-20-years-old/page-2

I have very personal experience on this subject and Ubonjoe provided extremely valuable advice. You will see from my post that Information/Reception at CW does not know what is talking about.

Many thanks for replies going to look into adoption but from what I have read so far it looks very long winded indeed. I hope that the crucial bit of thread ie if wife dies will not be needed we have to go for test results 2nd Dec the dreaded C word has popped up a lot in conversation with doctors. Got everything crossed.

Adoption is a tad complicated.

My wife (a Thai) adopted a child (not a blood relative) some years ago. We were living abroad at the time and the wife had to make several trips back to CNX for interviews but it all went through. Took about one year.

We have now been back in Thailand for a number of years and as I would like "our daughter... my Step Daughter" to be my Legally Adopted child, to qualify for citizenship in my home country, if she wants to at a later stage.

Wife has been in touch with City Hall but been referred to an office in BKK as I am a FERANG. The BKK Office won't post the Adoption Forms, I have to go there and pick them up. Can't get any further details as to what documentation etc., I should take aside from my Passport so presume there will be a couple or more trips to BKK to get the adoption through.

Obviously, I'll do it but would be much simpler and less costly if I didn't have to fly to BKK just for the paperwork.