Go-Pro knock off

cheeryble

I'd like to record my bicycle runs to send to sister to show Thailand.

I'd like a helmet or handlebar cam or whatever you recommend.

Will not use much so very cheap would be good reliable and water proof would be nice.

ps just got off my fat arse and looked at Lazada.

Would this one do?

http://www.lazada.co.th/hd-waterproof-sports-dv-720p-action-camera-helmet-bike-car-cam-white-3369511.html

My local Tesco is selling those for 990b and I'd guess maybe a bit easier if there were any problems.

Will not use much so very cheap would be good reliable and water proof would be nice.

Would this one do?

http://www.lazada.co.th/hd-waterproof-sports-dv-720p-action-camera-helmet-bike-car-cam-white-3369511.html

Got one myself and it is an excellent camera. Battery life is not good though so you will need a spare.

The one I bought for my stepson had a sticky back mount for a helmet, but with the weight of the camera is quickly failed.

Luckily he had the tie chain attached and the fix was easy with a blob of clear silicon, now it is going nowhere.

There were two of these mounts in the kit should it need to be fitted to another helmet and a whole bunch of other mounts..

If your talking bicycles, the cameras in question mount to the top through the vents of your helmet via Velcro straps. There shouldn't be any need to stick them.

If it's the same kit as mine you also get a handlebar mount. These cheaper cameras don't come with 3M VHB adhesive pads, they come with some cheap double side tape. Best thing, if you need a sticky pad, order from eBay.

The price of these cameras - I don't think you can go wrong, I now realize riding a motorbike for lengths of time I need a lower profile camera, longer battery life and a remote.

Edited by recom273

The SJ4000 is great for the momey and battery life is longer than the overpriced GoPro. The modus is also excellent and because of its size, it will suffer less in vibration problems. Both under 3k

I get about 1hr 40mins from the sj4000, 1hr 15mins from GoPro. But if you want more, the drift ghost -s will get you 3 hrs.

Odd, despite Gopro's reputation, I can't give mine away. Been shelved as it is a pain to use on the motorcycle with its scaffolding and build like a box of matches!

Damn! that's why I can't sell it. Need to remove ^that bit from my ad!

Edited by BBJ

^I think the original is SJCAM SJ4000. But again, not hard to copy the logo.

And if you search for techmoan on youtube and view his review of the SJCAM SJ4000, he has links to the places that sell the original on ebay etc.

Edited by BBJ

My local Tesco is selling those for 990b and I'd guess maybe a bit easier if there were any problems.

Would this one do?

Got one myself and it is an excellent camera. Battery life is not good though so you will need a spare.
Which one did you get and like apetley.......Lazada or Tesco?

(Must say Tesco seems easier for a few baht extra)

Also there's a conflict between poor battery life in one post and excellent battery life in another.

I'd greatly appreciate if you good and helpful chaos could clarify.

I'll also clarify my needs:

I'd like a good battery life so I can prove to the folks at home I can get all the way up Doi Suthep on a bike.

I'd like it rainproof.

I'd like a helmet fit so I can record hike/runs on trails, but transferable to handlebars for bike (is that a good place or is helmet better?)

Thanks

Edited by cheeryble

Would this one do?

Also there's a conflict between poor battery life in one post and excellent battery life in another.

I'd like a good battery life so I can prove to the folks at home I can get all the way up Doi Suthep on a bike.

I'd like it rainproof.

I'd like a helmet fit so I can record hike/runs on trails, but transferable to handlebars for bike (is that a good place or is helmet better?)

Thanks

I got mine from Lazada and use it as a car cam. The one time I used it on my bike the battery lasted 30 minutes. Maybe my battery is a poor one but not an issue for me when in the car or mounted on my motorcycle.

Would this one do?

I'd like it rainproof.

Thanks

I got mine from Lazada and use it as a car cam. The one time I used it on my bike the battery lasted 30 minutes. Maybe my battery is a poor one but not an issue for me when in the car or mounted on my motorcycle.

That sounds wrong for me apetley.

Where do the long battery life ones come from?

Yes - they are waterproof in their waterproof plastic cases.

I have maybe 6 batteries and an stand alone charger - I usually look towards swapping them after an hour, after the hour they are usually at 1 bar or flashing 1 bar, I guess if you are using it as a wired car can then the battery isn't being exercised, so may be the case they don't last too long.

Half an hour sounds too short and 90 mins seems a little too much for mine, but I never put the camera in front of a camera. I would say anywhere between 1 hour and 90 mins is a good time ( without wifi switched on )

Yes if they have wifi capability they do use a generic wifi app. I intend to buy a drift with a wifi remote.

I just checked eBay the price for a 4x battery + charger is 500b. I think for the money of everything - you can't go wrong.

Mine is a first gen model before SJ cam marketed them under their name. It's a great entry level bit of kit. When I bought mine I was so confused and paranoid between original and copy cameras I bought from a seller that was publishing photos of the software screen and confirmed with them that my cameras firmware would be the same, I bought a whole bunch of mounts and a stack of batteries .. Never regretted it.

Edited by recom273

New cam from sjcam is the x1000 replaces the sj4000 wifi but has a bigger lcd... Uses more battery.. I have both. One sits in the car.

Video is identical..

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Thanks

You say you have poor battery life apetley and got it from Lazada.

Surprises me that a big outfit like Lazada would risk its reputation and sell knock offs.

But battery life is all important I don't think a half fhour's enough.

I need an hour of battery life for my regular hike/run and don't want to change the battery more than once going up say Doi Suthep.

As for the operation....does one usually reach up to the helmet to turn on/off?

Easy enough to do?

That's easy to do. Single button on the front for on/off, single button on the top for start/save video.

Thanks,

Went to Lotus this evening, they're out of stock.

Look on the bright side.....at least they're popular and in demand :)
.....and the assistant smiled and was very friendly.

Now I may have to borrow from one of you guys :-) I'm getting use of a carbon bike and at my age s ride up the hill deserves rccording.

Edited by cheeryble

I bought one of these today. Got home (from Tesco) the found that I needed to buy Micro SD card for it. Max capacity of 32mega-giggles was just under 400b so still a cheap but of kit.

I bought my knockoff exactly two years ago and the price of a quality class 10 micro SD was 1000b. Crazy to think the price of these has dropped by 60%.

If your knockoff uses the gopro style arms / buckles / sticky baseplates I would suggest buying a few of the buckles and bases from eBay. The buckles and bases that came with mine didn't fit gopro standard and I broke the buckle pretty quickly after purchase, rendering it useless until the replacements arrived from China.