AIS Fibre Net - Huawei Router

bluesofa

(I've posted here in the General part of the forum, not sure if there's a more specific sub-forum for this)

AIS came and installed the package – a fiber optic router (GPON) that also connects to the Playbox – via ethernet or Wi-Fi.

I wasn't bothered about the Playbox at all, I just wanted a decent internet. (Been with TOT ADSL for years and it's painfully slow. I did ask them about fibre, when I told them my address, the sales staff just laughed and said “maybe next year”.)

My query is regarding the GPON router – a Huawei HG8245H. My son was keen to use the net via the TV, so as AIS had set it up (via the Wi-Fi) I thought I'd give it a go.

It's painfully slow, the TV channels, and even browsing the net. It made me wonder if the Wi-Fi was struggling. AIS suggested ethernet from router>Playbox, but at the time I wasn't bothered.

Out of interest, I tried to google the Wi-Fi spec for the router – IEEE 802.11 - it must be at least 'n' suffix, probably further on than that. I can't find the protocol listed for my router.

Although, it's probably not the Wi-Fi causing the problem, I wonder if anyone has the spec for it?

Also, is there some way I can find out the login & password for this Huawei router AIS use? It might use my account number as one of the parameters? I know TOT use a nationwide default to access their ADSL, but I don't yet have any details on the AIS set-up, I've only had it a few days so far.

It might be useful if I want to change my Wi-Fi details at some point.

The AIS PlayBox won't be as quick as a PC or a Laptop for many tasks (due to hardware/software).

What 'speed' you obtain is dependent on the 'device', the network interface, network interface conditions, LAN contention/congestion, ISP infrastructure / contention / congestion, and what service you're connecting to and where it's located (and what the data has to go through to get to you).

If you connect to the same exact service on your Laptop or PC, then connect to the same exact service on the AIS PlayBox then a comparison could be drawn on the differences in play (Ethernet vs WiFi connection or WiFi distance from router, device hardware/software specifications, tasks in play, etc).

You might try running some website 'speed test' on the two. If you're not receiving the same results as your Internet Account provisioned speeds on either then try connecting via Ethernet Cable and try again. It might help narrow down where the issue(s) is/are.

YouTube isn't too bad on an Android Set Top Box. But other sites might not do as well with the limited resources of the box.

IPTV can be fast, but most implementations I've seen are dog slow on channel changes.

Try running PSI TV on an android device and you'll see how fast a well implemented IPTV system can run.

The AIS PlayBox won't be as quick as a PC or a Laptop for many tasks (due to hardware/software).

What 'speed' you obtain is dependent on the 'device', the network interface, network interface conditions, LAN contention/congestion, ISP infrastructure / contention / congestion, and what service you're connecting to and where it's located (and what the data has to go through to get to you).

If you connect to the same exact service on your Laptop or PC, then connect to the same exact service on the AIS PlayBox then a comparison could be drawn on the differences in play (Ethernet vs WiFi connection or WiFi distance from router, device hardware/software specifications, tasks in play, etc).

You might try running some website 'speed test' on the two. If you're not receiving the same results as your Internet Account provisioned speeds on either then try connecting via Ethernet Cable and try again. It might help narrow down where the issue(s) is/are.

YouTube isn't too bad on an Android Set Top Box. But other sites might not do as well with the limited resources of the box.

IPTV can be fast, but most implementations I've seen are dog slow on channel changes.

Try running PSI TV on an android device and you'll see how fast a well implemented IPTV system can run.

Thanks for that suggestion - a good idea. I'll try running speedtests on both devices tomorrow morning to compare the two. I've paid for the 20/7Mbs service. It's usually near that speed (within Thailand) on my PC.

Can't try ethernet to the Playbox, that might be a later project, I can only compare using the Wi-Fi for that.

I'll keep you posted.

I d/loaded the PSI TV app you suggested. That runs fine, no problems, but I don't know if it's a lower resolution/bandwith for a mobile phone?

Back to the AIS playbox: I used a portable TV and placed the playbox near the router using a short ethernet cable to link the two. Great, it ran fine. Then I pulled out the ethernet cable while it was in the same position. It was still very good while now using Wi-Fi, albeit the playbox only a metre away from the router.

Tried the playbox in an upstairs bedroom about 7/8 metres away from the router. Back to the impossibly slow connection and lack of bandwith.

Put the playbox back in its original position, again 7/8 metres from the router, but in the lounge. Impossible to watch. I also used my i-mobile phone running on the same Wi-Fi, that showed a much stronger signal in both locations. It looks to me like it's the playbox that is struggling to find enough signal, rather than just the router.

Since asking in my first post, I've now found the spec for the Huawei router. It says the Wi-Fi is 802.11n which should be up to 70 metres indoors (and 250m outdoors) according to wiki.

Even allowing for walls and metallic objects in the way, 8 metres should be a piece of cake.

I don't know who makes the AIS branded playbox, but from a Wi-Fi perspective, that's my problem. I think to resolve this I'll need to get ethernet installed.

No wonder the AIS guy said I really needed to run it on ethernet. Must be that's why it was free…

Still hoping to find how to login to the AIS GPON router, if someone is in the know on that one.

Regarding your login for AIS: I called them on their English number (on bill) and gave them my account details and mobile number. Their IT desk later sent me my individual logon (account number) and password to enable logging ot to the router.

FYI, I have IPTV (UK) and Apple TV which didnt work with their suppiled router, changed it for an ASUS VDSL one, set it up and all works fine.

Regarding your login for AIS: I called them on their English number (on bill) and gave them my account details and mobile number. Their IT desk later sent me my individual logon (account number) and password to enable logging ot to the router.

FYI, I have IPTV (UK) and Apple TV which didnt work with their suppiled router, changed it for an ASUS VDSL one, set it up and all works fine.

That's interesting, thanks,

Could I be so bold as to ask what it was you specifically asked AIS in order for them to give you your logon details? I might possibly ask the same question...

Archived