Work permit when quitting job, should keep or give it back ?

Hi everyone,

I've just quitted my job and the company asked (or more like ordererd) me to return the work permit (which i did) ;

However after talking with some fellas, it seems that i should have kept the work permit (which can be asked for residency appliance, import a vehicule ect.)

Simple question :

Any idea about the actual law, is it legal for the company to keep my work permit or should i have kept it ?

I know it's cancelled and expired, but again, for some very particular "paper work" tasks you might be asked to show your previous work permits as proof, so ... ?

Thanks everyone.

Yes of course, the whole package work permit non B visa for like 4 years.

But still, when (stupid exemple), you ask for the thai residency (i'm not telling that i will), they ask you to provide all your past work permits so, what's the point / logical !?

But still, when (stupid exemple), you ask for the thai residency (i'm not telling that i will), they ask you to provide all your past work permits so, what's the point / logical !?

for Thai permanent residency you must have 3 consecutive 1-year visa extensions and have a valid work permit for 3 years at the date of application.

You just quit your job so both of those qualification you no longer hold.

"Yes of course", Which do you have?

If you have a valid non 'B' visa then you can stay in the country. If you have an extension of stay based on working then you have to leave the country once the work permit is cancelled.

If you have an extension of stay based on working it ceased to be valid on the day you ceased work.

Thanks but guys you don't understand... (!)

I am just asking if after quitting a job, it's legal for the company to take back the work permit or not.

To answer, of course i had some extensions of stay (3) which are no longer valid since i quitted and which i am currently not using anymore, obviously.

Just focus on the primary question and not the residency or the visa matters, i mentionned it as an example guys !

Thanks

You can keep the work permit after it is cancelled. There has not been a requirement to return it for several years.

Thanks, i almost missed your reply in all this mess !

Do you know where i can find some "official documentations" regarding this, any idea ?

You can keep the work permit after it is cancelled. There has not been a requirement to return it for several years.

Correct - I retired in July, and retention of the WP has continued to be very useful (for example, transferring monies offshore).

That has been my experience. When my position was changed, both title and address, a new WP was required. They cancelled the old one and returned it to me to keep.

Correct - I retired in July, and retention of the WP has continued to be very useful (for example, transferring monies offshore).

That has been my experience. When my position was changed, both title and address, a new WP was required. They cancelled the old one and returned it to me to keep.

That's really starting to worrying me like quite a lot.

Anyone have any clue of any legal textes mentionning what should happend to the WP after the "end of job" ?

whistling.gif When you "quitted" your job your company notified the Ministry of Labor that you Work Permit was to be voided and no longer valid......rather like an old expired passport stamped with a "cancelled" stamp.

Now if you want to keep that as a souvenier, you can.

I am not sure when the requirement to return the work permit was repealed; when mine was not renewed at the end of 2007 I did not get the cancelled permit back.

I did take photocopies of the entire permit before I turned it in. Even those photocopies have been useful a few times as "official" paperwork.

The rules were changed in 2008 after the new Alien Working Act went into effect. Prior to that the work permit office kept the work permit when it was cancelled.

The employer has never had a legal right to keep it.

Thanks for that one !

I will try to get it back, not much hopes, they will probably say that they returned it / destroyed it.

Let's wait and see.

So if someone can keep their work permit for several years, they can keep staying in Thailand based on that work permit even though they are now unemployed & stay unemployed?

So if someone can keep their work permit for several years, they can keep staying in Thailand based on that work permit even though they are now unemployed & stay unemployed?

Of course NOT.

You just keep it as a proof of previous employement and residency in Thailand, that's all, like you would keep your previous pay slips and contracts.

I think you missed the word cancelled in my post.

Work permits do expire.

I suspect there are many people that have old work permits that were never canceled but have expired.

If you have an extension of stay based on working it ceased to be valid on the day you ceased work.

When the extension becomes invalid, is it not true you can get a 7 day extension, at least to book a flight and get a few things in order?

When the extension becomes invalid, is it not true you can get a 7 day extension, at least to book a flight and get a few things in order?

You can apply for a 7 day extension after going to immigration with a termination letter to have the extension canceled. You can also go to immigration a few days before the date of termination and immigration will post date the cancellation which would give you time to leave the country.