Court orders Praewa's parents to pay 30 mln baht compensation for fatal car incident in 2010

webfact

At the time some people were automatically blaming the van driver but that was not the case. There were traffic cam videos showing what happened. The van driver was not some young energy drink fuelled hoon high on yaba but an older well respected lady if I recall correctly.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time some people were automatically blaming the van driver but that was not the case. There were traffic cam videos showing what happened. The van driver was not some young energy drink fuelled hoon high on yaba but an older well respected lady if I recall correctly.

But that story doesn't suit some TV members and their convoluted thinking.

Being able to take a civil case against someone for a criminal offence still seems weird to me. The families are "lucky" that a tragedy like this did happen in Thailand, rather than my home country of NZ, where the families of the victims would have received nothing (Or very close to it). And even though she acted irresponsibly (Texting while driving + No licence), if she were in NZ I'm not sure if her criminal sentence (A suspended sentence + community service + forbidden to drive) would necessarily have been harsher either, given that she was only 17 & has no previous convictions etc.

When she previously appealed her suspended sentence, I was pretty appalled at her for wanting to reduce what was already a very lenient sentence, but knowing her family will also have to pay 30M THB, it actually seems pretty harsh (I know her family is rich, but the law should only give a small weight to this, imagine if it were just a family of poor or modest means instead).

It was an accident, she didn't do it on purpose.

She didn't do it on purpose but:

She knowingly drove whilst underage, without a licence, and presumably uninsured. Condoned by her parents.

She apparently chose to speed and there seems a possibility she was texting or on the phone at the time of the accident.

She chose to act in ways which put others in danger.

She, and no one else is responsible for this accident, the deaths of nine people, and others injured and bereaved.

What price do you put on human lives vs the we wanna do as we like young hiso brats?

Makes you wonder what part mommy and Daddy had in registering an illegal Honda as a pickup truck no doubt to avoid taxes!

Window to their collective souls!

Being able to take a civil case against someone for a criminal offence still seems weird to me. The families are "lucky" that a tragedy like this did happen in Thailand, rather than my home country of NZ, where the families of the victims would have received nothing (Or very close to it). And even though she acted irresponsibly (Texting while driving + No licence), if she were in NZ I'm not sure if her criminal sentence (A suspended sentence + community service + forbidden to drive) would necessarily have been harsher either, given that she was only 17 & has no previous convictions etc.

When she previously appealed her suspended sentence, I was pretty appalled at her for wanting to reduce what was already a very lenient sentence, but knowing her family will also have to pay 30M THB, it actually seems pretty harsh (I know her family is rich, but the law should only give a small weight to this, imagine if it were just a family of poor or modest means instead).

Being able to take a civil case against someone for a criminal offence still seems weird to me.????? That is what happened with OJ Simpson.

She didn't do it on purpose but:

She knowingly drove whilst underage, without a licence, and presumably uninsured. Condoned by her parents.

She apparently chose to speed and there seems a possibility she was texting or on the phone at the time of the accident.

She chose to act in ways which put others in danger.

She, and no one else is responsible for this accident, the deaths of nine people, and others injured and bereaved.

What price do you put on human lives vs the we wanna do as we like young hiso brats?

Makes you wonder what part mommy and Daddy had in registering an illegal Honda as a pickup truck no doubt to avoid taxes!

Window to their collective souls!

So what hope did the daughter have in knowing right from wrong with such screwed up parents.

Besides the parents also did not give testimonies that had proven that they had taken good care of their child.

That's interesting - I cannot recall such comments from the court before. There are certainly some hi-so kids here, whose parents should be held liable for their behavior - and that goes for some of those expat kids as well..

Indeed, how about the parents of the man who dragged a policeman under his sports car down a Sukhumvhit soi. Or the parents of the brat who shot a policeman in a pub on Ratchada, then disappeared to Cambodia. Opens up a veritable Pandora's box if parents can actually be held liable for (mis)behavior of their kids. But I think those parents will never see their day in court..

Besides the parents also did not give testimonies that had proven that they had taken good care of their child.

That's interesting - I cannot recall such comments from the court before. There are certainly some hi-so kids here, whose parents should be held liable for their behavior - and that goes for some of those expat kids as well..

Indeed, how about the parents of the man who dragged a policeman under his sports car down a Sukhumvhit soi. Or the parents of the brat who shot a policeman in a pub on Ratchada, then disappeared to Cambodia. Opens up a veritable Pandora's box if parents can actually be held liable for (mis)behavior of their kids. But I think those parents will never see their day in court..

the difference is her parents bought her a car and gave her the keys to it when she was not old enough to get a licence or even drive it on the road in Thailand, by doing this they facilitated the accident happening by allowing her to drive the car illegally. By doing this they are also responsible for it happening because they supplied the means to it happening, the idiot red bull heir is over the legal driving age and held a licence, as for the shooter, did his parents buy him the gun and give him the bullets.......

the difference is her parents bought her a car and gave her the keys to it when she was not old enough to get a licence or even drive it on the road in Thailand, by doing this they facilitated the accident happening by allowing her to drive the car illegally. By doing this they are also responsible for it happening because they supplied the means to it happening, the idiot red bull heir is over the legal driving age and held a licence, as for the shooter, did his parents buy him the gun and give him the bullets.......

Your observations are spot on but you have missed the point that even though these spoilt mongeral kids are "adults" the parents were compliant in perverting the course of the law being applied - in the case of the girl the parents were breaking the law and being absolutely stupid and are now being held to account, whereas in the case of the other two criminal thugs the parents are just as guilty as their son's and should be charged, held accountable and face the law.

Your observations are spot on but you have missed the point that even though these spoilt mongeral kids are "adults" the parents were compliant in perverting the course of the law being applied - in the case of the girl the parents were breaking the law and being absolutely stupid and are now being held to account, whereas in the case of the other two criminal thugs the parents are just as guilty as their son's and should be charged, held accountable and face the law.

I can understand your reasoning and while it would be good to have something done about we have to realize that once you are an adult your parents are no longer really responsible for what you do. Kids and adults are two different things, in this case it is blatantly obvious the parents are at fault, the other two are adults and therefore responsible for their own actions. If parents pervert the course of justice(use their standing/assets etc) then they should also be charged but they cannot be held fully responsible. I have kids and if they do something wrong it is on them as they are adults, I also would never knowingly do anything that would allow them to do anything illegal, something a lot of thai parents ignore as they will buy motor bikes/cars for their underage kids because they dont want to have to organize transport for them, strangely enough in Australia till we are old enough to get a license we ride bikes, walk or catch a bus, face doesnt come into it and a bit of exercise never hurt anyone excpot thais apparently

Edited by seajae

That would be a nice idea and should happen and then perhaps more parents will become more responsible, however I won't hold out much hope for that to happen.

I can understand your reasoning and while it would be good to have something done about we have to realize that once you are an adult your parents are no longer really responsible for what you do. Kids and adults are two different things, in this case it is blatantly obvious the parents are at fault, the other two are adults and therefore responsible for their own actions. If parents pervert the course of justice(use their standing/assets etc) then they should also be charged but they cannot be held fully responsible. I have kids and if they do something wrong it is on them as they are adults, I also would never knowingly do anything that would allow them to do anything illegal, something a lot of thai parents ignore as they will buy motor bikes/cars for their underage kids because they dont want to have to organize transport for them, strangely enough in Australia till we are old enough to get a license we ride bikes, walk or catch a bus, face doesnt come into it and a bit of exercise never hurt anyone excpot thais apparently

I should have been more specific in saying the parents of the two criminal should be charged for obstructing the due process of law - not for the crimes committed by their off-spring.

Edited by Artisi