Southern Australia burns as fatal bushfires destroy wildlife and livestock

webfact

Southern Australia burns as fatal bushfires destroy wildlife and livestock

606x341_317789.jpg

Swathes of southern Australia are a blaze after fourteen bushfires broke out on Wednesday.

The fires have claimed the lives of two people and killed wildlife and livestock.

A number of houses have been burned to the ground and authorities fear the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Emergency services say three people are missing and thirteen are being treated in hospital.

Wildfires are a summer hazard in Australia, but weather forecasters say climate change is increasing the risk of bushfires and the duration of the dry season is now longer.

October has been declared the hottest month since records began.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-26

I just seen this on the news !! old farmer trying to same his only possessions dies from the inferno .... and lady saving her stock gets caught .... absolute tragic ..... the heat from those wild fire is hell ... it will melt anything in it's path.

RIP all those who perished while just living their lives.

It could get hairy when summer arrives on December 1st.

Two fatal large bush fires in the past few weeks. Been an early heat wave with 40C+ temperatures in some areas. Forecast for above average temperature summer.

I just seen this on the news !! old farmer trying to same his only possessions dies from the inferno .... and lady saving her stock gets caught .... absolute tragic ..... the heat from those wild fire is hell ... it will melt anything in it's path.

RIP all those who perished while just living their lives.

I helped my dad stop a wild blaze threatening his farm.

It's amazing and frightening how loud it is when you are amongst it. Really LOUD.

And it can move so quickly, and spring up behind you. Scary stuff.

My 2 brothers own 4 farms in amongst the fires and another 3 south of Adelaide. They've lost crops but no buildings. I've seen the devastation fires bring at home and in other parts of the country. SA is the driest state in the driest continent. I know people there that have lost the lot. My family have lost crops, livestock, fencing, and machinery 5 times previously. It's a part of life.

Old USDA Forest Service Wildland Firefighter here. Brush fires are extremely fast moving because they are in what is know as "light fuels" Very hot, I know, got caught in the middle of one when it blew up and all my voluteers boogied out on me. Needless to say I was not a happy camper, was told latter that I had the best use of curse words ever heard on the radio. Often the cause of "heavy fuels" being ignighted leading to full forest fires. What ever the cause, remember the land/home owners and those that fight the fires.