Bus from Chaiyaphum area to Surin / Buriram / Korat

rushandy

Hi fellow members,

Posted this in the general travel area but it didn't get much of a response, so reposting here in the hope that some friendly locals might be able to point me in the right direction...

Hoping someone can help me out here. I'm travelling to LoS over Christmas, and rather than just spending 3 weeks on the Mrs' farm near Chaiyaphum, I've decided to do a bit of backpacking as well and do a short trip to Angkor Wat as it's something I've always dreamed of seeing.

So anyway... It looks like the easiest route for me will be from the Chaiyaphum area to either Korat, Surin or Buriram, stay overnight, early morning to the border at o'Smach (or Poi Pet if in Korat), then onwards to Siem Reap.

There's tons of info out there on getting from Buriram / Surin / Korat to the border and then on to Siem Reap, so I've no worries about that bit. However, I can't for the life of me find any info regarding how I might get from Chaiyaphum to either Buriram, Surin or Korat using some kind of public transport.

So I have a question I hope you guys can help me with...

What (if any!) are my options to get from Chaiyaphum (or Kaeng Khro) to either Buriram, Surin or Korat, preferably in relative comfort :-) There must be a bus or something, but I can't for the life of me dig up any info.

Any info you can provide me with would be great.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks MJCM,

That's exactly the kind of info I need. Now that I know what the options are, I should be able to sort it out.

I like the sound of the NCA bus onto Surin, so I'll start with that one.

Cheers

Andy

NCA is your best option. Excellent bus company. Tell the steward on the buss you want o get off in Surin at the old Surin Buss station not their new station. At old Surin Buss Station you can catch a white van that will say Chong Chom/ Surin on it. Cost about 60 bat for the 70 km trip to the crossing. At the Chong Chom crossing there is a new air con first class buse service 3 time per day , first leaves Chong Chom to Siem Reap at 8am, crossing opens at 7:30am. Trip takes 3 hours and cost 350 baht each way.

As previously mentioned NCA have a bus route that takes in Chayapum and Buriram/Surin.

It is the service that starts in Chiang Mai and terminates in Ubon Ratchatani.

Yes. It does start in Chiang Mai and ends in Ubon. I have personally used it many times from Chiang Mai to Surin and the bus stop at Chayapum for food , let off and pick up.

I would't worry about NCA bus for a day trip.

If your going 6-8 hours somewhere or overnight - then yes.

There is a cool map on TV isan maps. Shows the train routs as well.

Train does not go the route that the op wants. Nothing wrong with NCA for an over night trip from Chiang Mai to Surin. Yes its a 14 hour trip, NCA always has two drivers on board and the change. Also on that rout NCA makes two stops for meals Chaiyaphum being one of them.