Are there any tests I can do to check if my laptop has been hacked

bbabythai

Maybe if your emailed to A site that you know of that want you to log in.Close it out and then you physically bring the site up and

Then log in.I don't trust sites that email me.

As far as getting hacked.If your computer starts acting stupid then you probably have A virus.Your computer would probably

Get hacked if the other party wants something you have,your bank account etc.

For mac you can download and install Malwarebytes Ant Malware app. Also Avast provides a free anti virus for mac. Most programs are written to "hack" windows, as the majority of users are Windows users. Not to say a mac doesn't / can't be a victim of hacking, but it is less common. Browser "hijacking" is more common on macs.

Google search for the above apps will provide you with links to download.

Phishing and your laptop being hacked are 2 completely different things

(very simply put) Phishing is when you are lured onto a (copy) of a website (for example your bank / paypal / email etc) and you type in your username and password for that specific website.

For example:

6-2-2011+10-49-30+PM.png

Wow....you have really opened my eyes, I would never have thought to check what you point out. I can only do limited stuff on a computer but get these Facebook requests regularly (I have never been a member). Thanking you kindly...it is a great feeling to learn something new as important as this. GB.

Seriously:

as already written in #3 ff. there is a discrepancy between thread title and what you write in the text.

Pishing can happen without leaving any traces on your laptop.

Maybe just the fishy email in your inbox that led you to a pishing site.

So really:

check all your important websites for suspicious events.

That applies especially to all things financial.

If there is the slightest reason for doubt, you have to contact the bank/institution via their emergency hot-lines and have accounts/cards blocked.

If nothing suspicious:

1) Check the laptop for viruses, trojans.

2) Precautionary change login passwords/pins etc. on all relevant sites following guidelines for good passwords.

As I have zero knowledge about Apple devices I can comment on how to check the laptop.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Any computer running scripts (ex: java)..on their browser is subject to attack.

Apples, Oranges, Android, Windows, Linux....can be/and are targets for attack.

An Apple is simply the device.....it is the operating system (no matter which) that are targets.

Don't know what a previous poster meant by claiming apple computers are not attacked.

Plenty of protection...available. For all operating systems....

Edited by slipperylobster

Install a virus check ....

https://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-ios

Change all of your passwords. Use complex mixtures of numbers, letters and characters in your passwords, throw in a few uppercase for good measure.

Use a good email system, I use gmail. Never respond to an email that wants you to log in to anything. Only ever log in via your own shortcuts or app's.

If you do the above, it would be very difficult for anyone to hack or pilsh your pc.

Edited by billphillips

Hackers write software for the biggest targets. That means Windows and Internet Explorer are under constant attack.

Android and the various Apple OS are smaller targets; however, they are growing in terms of market share so they are getting more attention from hackers. To suggest Macs don't get viruses is ludicrous.

Open OS such as Ubuntu don't get viruses, because the worldwide use of such systems is such a low percentage of total users it's not worthwhile for a hacker to be writing viruses for them.

Hackers write software for the biggest targets. That means Windows and Internet Explorer are under constant attack.

Android and the various Apple OS are smaller targets; however, they are growing in terms of market share so they are getting more attention from hackers. To suggest Macs don't get viruses is ludicrous.

Open OS such as Ubuntu don't get viruses, because the worldwide use of such systems is such a low percentage of total users it's not worthwhile for a hacker to be writing viruses for them.

Another myth.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/spam-blasting-malware-infects-thousands-of-linux-and-freebsd-servers/

Another myth.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/spam-blasting-malware-infects-thousands-of-linux-and-freebsd-servers/

One of the reasons I'm on TV, every so often a gem of information emerges from the dross. Thanks.

The simple truth macs are not attacked in the same sense as windows or for that matter android. about once in a year you might hear about a Mac attack. Thats about it. Phishing and viruses apples oranges different.

What do you mean by Phishing and viruses apples oranges different ?

Phishing is independent of OS, it can happen on ALL Operating Systems (Linux, Windows, Apple, Android, Symbian etc etc) out there, as long as you can open a website you could become a victim to Phishing.

That's what the use of idiom means, Wikipedia:

comparison of apples and oranges occurs when two items or groups of items are compared that cannot be practically compared.

The simple truth macs are not attacked in the same sense as windows or for that matter android. about once in a year you might hear about a Mac attack. Thats about it. Phishing and viruses apples oranges different.

What do you mean by Phishing and viruses apples oranges different ?

Phishing is independent of OS, it can happen on ALL Operating Systems (Linux, Windows, Apple, Android, Symbian etc etc) out there, as long as you can open a website you could become a victim to Phishing.

They arent the same. You DO NOT always get a virus if you get "phishced"

fishing is the act of "tricking"people not a virus.