Living in Korat

Kenny202

I have lived in Pattaya, Bangkok and now Korat for the last 10 years. I love Korat but I am married, retired and like an easy going life. If you are single, looking for an active night life and English speaking women Korat might not be for you. I would say Korat is farang friendly as I have never had a problem with racism here. There are a lot of expats here, the American VFW has about 140 members and the British Legion use to meet at the Ram Bar. Not sure they still meet there. Not sure what you are looking for.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all like something different.

I think its best if you go & try a place first to see if you like it, just keep an open mind.

When I moved here from Rayong, my wife owns a house in Chok Chai just 30K from Korat city

we lived there for a month and its not for me. Watching the buffalo walk past every day was not my idea of retirement

Some people love it but not me.

We moved to the city because of my Mrs work. I am much happier here but I like it better near the sea.

Where I live its a community of house about 50 owned by one Thai family a few owned privately.

They prefer Foreigners as tenants. They never advertise their property for rent its just by word of mouth.

Its very close to The Mall and the main Tesco, so its a good location.

Good luck in finding your place of happiness...coffee1.gif

We all like something different.

I think its best if you go & try a place first to see if you like it, just keep an open mind.

When I moved here from Rayong, my wife owns a house in Chok Chai just 30K from Korat city

we lived there for a month and its not for me. Watching the buffalo walk past every day was not my idea of retirement

Some people love it but not me.

We moved to the city because of my Mrs work. I am much happier here but I like it better near the sea.

Where I live its a community of house about 50 owned by one Thai family a few owned privately.

They prefer Foreigners as tenants. They never advertise their property for rent its just by word of mouth.

Its very close to The Mall and the main Tesco, so its a good location.

Any idea price mate Tidy 2 or 3 br air con? Contact details? Appreciate Ur help

I have lived in Korat for over a year now, its OK.

Its got everything I want except good meat pies, so I started making my own. thumbsup.gif

looks like u can rent a Tidy 2 or 3 br air con home for about 4 - 6k thb. Does that sound about right?

i dont think you will find a decent 2-3bed.house in a decent area for less than 8-10k.maybe a bungalow.homes on our moo-ban are around 15-25k month.

check out issan property's.

Where I live a good area close to the city (No flooding) 2 B/R houses from 7,500B to 11,000B, furnished.

I am not in Korat, but very close to it.

I rent a very nice, brand new house two story, two bedroom, two bath,AC, nice big yard, good neighbors in a quiet, safe area and pay only 4,000 / month.

Any idea price mate Tidy 2 or 3 br air con? Contact details? Appreciate Ur help

I used to live in Korat back in 1967-68 and again in 1972-75 when I was working for a US contractor. It was a great place then though quite different from today. I have been back visiting many times over the years and I always enjoy a trip there probably because of the many fond memories of those early years there. I suggest moving there for a couple of months and see how you like it.

-snip-

You say you aren't into the Farang night life scene, so pick a smaller city or even Provincial Town, lots of lovely ones to choose from, with cheap rents.

"...lots of lovely ones to choose from, with cheap rents."

Sounds like an improvement over Pattaya. tongue.png

Its got everything I want except good meat pies, so I started making my own. thumbsup.gif

So you haven't been there when flooding is at it's worst then??? A different outlook may come once you've experienced them.

So you haven't been there when flooding is at it's worst then??? A different outlook may come once you've experienced them.

So the flooding pretty bad there? We get flooding in Chaiyaphum too but only in select areas

So the flooding pretty bad there? We get flooding in Chaiyaphum too but only in select areas

Flooding will happen anywhere there is substandard infrastructure. Thailand's leaves a lot to be desired. It doesnt flood there as a norm but, the TV critics will always have negative things to spout off about any subject. Dont live near flood prone areas or water sources if you can. Mitigates problems with potential flooding or mosquitos.

I have lived in Korat for 10 years now and it has badly flooded once in those 10 years where the water has stayed for more than a day and that was only in low lying areas. Just make sure you do your homework and make sure you do not rent or build in a low lying area. This is true for whereever you live as it floods in areas of Pattaya, Bangkok and Chiang Mai and probably more areas that I have not lived in.

^ Nah, it floods more often than that. Around St Mary's hospital is a big hot spot. Also the vegetable market. 'In Nakhon Ratchasima, floodwater was between 50 and 70 centimetres deep in Mueang district" that was a quote from July 2013 news. This from 2007 "Thai officials opened the flood gates at a dam (Lam Prak Preung) in Pak Thong Chai. This has resulted in some flooding of the Lam Thakhong river; especially where it runs in a rather narrow channel through downtown Korat. Flooding has been reported in the vicinity of Assumption School (which will be closed for at least three days), behind The Mall and around Maharat Hospital."

September 2014 "Also in the Northeast, Nakhon Ratchasima municipality faces an average 30cm of flood water in vast areas. Officials were preparing food provisions and offering assistance at locations where the flood level had reached 50 cm."

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/14/korat-swims-while-rest-nation-thirsts Yeah sure it floods rarely. rolleyes.gif Google is your friend.

^ Nah, it floods more often than that. Around St Mary's hospital is a big hot spot. Also the vegetable market. 'In Nakhon Ratchasima, floodwater was between 50 and 70 centimetres deep in Mueang district" that was a quote from July 2013 news. This from 2007 "Thai officials opened the flood gates at a dam (Lam Prak Preung) in Pak Thong Chai. This has resulted in some flooding of the Lam Thakhong river; especially where it runs in a rather narrow channel through downtown Korat. Flooding has been reported in the vicinity of Assumption School (which will be closed for at least three days), behind The Mall and around Maharat Hospital."

September 2014 "Also in the Northeast, Nakhon Ratchasima municipality faces an average 30cm of flood water in vast areas. Officials were preparing food provisions and offering assistance at locations where the flood level had reached 50 cm."

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/14/korat-swims-while-rest-nation-thirsts Yeah sure it floods rarely. rolleyes.gif Google is your friend.

Im sure a person living there for the past 10 years and experiencing it first hand for 3650 days would have better knowledge than an internet search engine. SMH at all the people who just have to be negative and argue all the time. Do you live there or spent much time there?

Im sure a person living there for the past 10 years and experiencing it first hand for 3650 days would have better knowledge than an internet search engine. SMH at all the people who just have to be negative and argue all the time. Do you live there or spent much time there?

Don't you know that living 100 km away gives you 20/20 vision ?

Don't you know that living 100 km away gives you 20/20 vision ?

Ya got me with that. Maybe I did know that but, I forgot. But, maybe I didnt and now I feel smarter knowing that he does live that far away and by using google, he knows more than a person that has been living there for quite a while now.

Thanks 2fishin2. As I said it does flood in the low lying areas but nothing like the one time the water stayed around for a week. It rains a lot in the tropics and some times comes down in sheets for hours and the ground can not handle that much water so it floods for hours. It happened in S. Florida when I lived there as a child. It happened in Vietnam while I was stationed there during the War and it happens all over Thailand. The area behind St. Mary's is one of those low areas that floods almost every year.

yes 2F2 just when you thought it was safe to go out who do you bump into SB.THE ORINGINAL.w00t.gif

Been here 10 years have 3 children. I travel to Korat regularly, except when flooding is announced as it tends to flood near the Immigration office on the main road making it impassable. Anything else you want to ask me?deadhorse.gif

Been to Korat loads. Always found it okay. It's got everything you need.

It doesn't really cater for foreigners but that doesn't make it unfriendly.

I like the place, always had a soft spot for it.

One positive about Korat and Isaan in general is that I've always found the locals very fair and honest in their charging for goods and services.

Getting away from OP's question(s) but re: flooding, I was Googling around trying to find an ariel shot of Korat City with maybe a color coded overlay indicating areas prone to flooding/low lying. Found some macro level flood plain depictions here:http://www.maphill.com/thailand/northeastern/nakhon-ratchasima/panoramic-maps/physical-map/

And this:

post-134393-0-88161000-1448886785_thumb.

but not exactly what I had in mind. Anyone ever seen or have one, or a source?

One positive about Korat and Isaan in general is that I've always found the locals very fair and honest in their charging for goods and services.

do you mean,TAXI'S,TUK TUK DRIVERS, VETS,PHARMACY'S,SOME MARKET TRADERS,CAR SALES PERSONS,JUST TO NAME A FEW.

i have lived here perminent for 6yrs.and visited for around 12yrs before that.

please enlighten me where these fair and honest ARE in korat.

do you mean,TAXI'S,TUK TUK DRIVERS, VETS,PHARMACY'S,SOME MARKET TRADERS,CAR SALES PERSONS,JUST TO NAME A FEW.

If you feel Korat is ripping you off, move to Phuket, BKK or Pattaya. Also, move out if it is that bad.

I dont live there but visited many times over the years. Spent alot of time there working and staying at the Dusit. Personally feel its the friendliest town I have visited in Thailand. Had no problems galvanting around the time late at night and felt safe as can be.

Never got ripped off once in that time. Had a tuk tuk driver take care of me one night all night for 300 baht. Took me to several bars over the course of an evening, stayed with me the entire time waiting outside. I gave him 500 baht made a friend for life. Tuk tuks in that town do not ripp you off. The few taxis same, go by meter or negotiate your choice they dont care.

If you feel Korat is ripping you off, move to Phuket, BKK or Pattaya. Also, move out if it is that bad.

I dont live there but visited many times over the years. Spent alot of time there working and staying at the Dusit. Personally feel its the friendliest town I have visited in Thailand. Had no problems galvanting around the time late at night and felt safe as can be.

Never got ripped off once in that time. Had a tuk tuk driver take care of me one night all night for 300 baht. Took me to several bars over the course of an evening, stayed with me the entire time waiting outside. I gave him 500 baht made a friend for life. Tuk tuks in that town do not ripp you off. The few taxis same, go by meter or negotiate your choice they dont care.

here is one example that happened to my wife THAI]

our beloved dog is being treated for parasite infection,not pleased with the service of our regular vet,we found another who was supposed to be good.

well yesterday he tried to ripp off my wife [not recomened] with a mark up of THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT.

never to be seen AGAIN.

FARANG VIRUS IS TREATABLE. USE F---- -FF.

OH FORGOT TO MENTION BUILDERS.

OP:

Looking forward to threads entitled "Pressures of Living in Korat" and "I'll Never Understand Korat people." smile.png

Have to ask: Did the pressure of living in an Isaan village finally get to you?

myself i am very happy living in korat,i am a stay at home guy,happy to spend my time with,my beloved sam,my wife of 28yrs.and have the occasional drink.

but its the people that rely on you to make a living,the first job they quote with the farang not in sight is ok.but once they see you their brains go to the money tree.

but it dont wash with my wife and dont she let them know.

as for pressure of living in korat there arent any other than whats been mentioned and me and mrs meat can deal with them.

or maybe there's the little task of visiting immigration 5times a yr.now that gets my blood pressure to rise past its limit.

but that not a problem TAFF, it is when you got to drive there.

Archived