Penang - Non O Multiple Entry - 1 Year, based on Marriage

good report - what are the financials required

Never came up, the consulate employee just asked if I included a copy of my bank book, to which I replied yes and offered him to look at the original which he didn't take me up on. I do however believe the requirement is a 400k minimum based on others experience.

I think that requirement is basically to convince the consulate that you are able to support you wife for the 12 months duration of the visa. Somewhat old fashioned, but not totally unreasonable. I believe proof of income is also acceptable.

If your money is tied up elsewhere, I hear Laos is a good option.

Just want to add that the consulate employee was nice enough to inform me that he thought it would be a better option for me to get a single entry and then get a 1 year extension at the immigration in Bangkok. Which is very good advice actually, I guess I've just gotten so used to visa trips and every 3 month exit/re-entry that I really don't mind anymore.

Honestly the best option would probably be the 500k elite 5 year visa thing when that became available, but I guess this way I just get to spend the same money in smaller chunks instead, and hey, at least I get some travel out of it, not that I love visa trips that much anymore.

You can get a 12 month extension with 400,000 baht in the bank.

So no need for a multi entry non imm o visa.

From what I've heard you need endure a load of bureaucracy and be available any time during a 3 month period to answer additional questions, including actual house visits, for that to happen, it might just be exaggerated stories, but I believe it does take some determination to achieve the extension, at least the first time.

And if you want to travel to visit family/friends you need to apply for re-entry permit.

• Like 1

For some the visa is better - those that work outside of Thailand (who often can not do extension as not here for return - and would need to pay extra for multi re-entry permit) and like poster who enjoys the vacation trip every 3 months (but that can get old).

The elite visa is money spent (a lot of money) - compared to 1,900 baht per year for 5 years (even if re-entry permits needed would never come close to 120k per year expense).

As you mention trips getting old you can extend at immigration office during the last 45 days of any entry and then they would not be required.

requirements for visa's from Penang here - http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/services-20140508-110623-169095.pdf amount required for non 'o' is not shown, but copy of bank statements are required, but the amount required is not mentioned, the same pdf also still mentions double entry tourist visa's, so maybe needs updating

The elite visa is money spent (a lot of money) - compared to 1,900 baht per year for 5 years (even if re-entry permits needed would never come close to 120k per year expense).

As you mention trips getting old you can extend at immigration office during the last 45 days of any entry and then they would not be required.

Can you do the 1 year extension indefinitely as long as you have sufficient funds in the bank for just 1900 baht/year?

That does sound like a good deal. In case you need to do some work once in a while, can you get your work permit based on the non-o visa and extensions? That is usually my situation, I might require a work permit a few times a year, of course sponsored by a company. I've been on a lot of non-b visas in the past, some extended, some just new visas, sometimes just multiple out/in 30 days between visas.

Yes can do indefinitely

and yes can get work permit

That is indeed good info, thanks.

I've been close to pulling the trigger on the 500k/5year thing many times, but seems if I can endure a bit more bureaucracy there is a lot of money to be saved.

Cheers.

Married and with a WP I always preferred to get a Non 'O' as local immigration was a pain in the ass, also good excuse to get away every 3 months. Always got from Penang and 100K in bank was enough but that's 5 years ago.

• Like 1

• Updated Thai bank book copy (first page + last couple of pages) with sufficient funds.

• Which was?

For those asking, bank statement >100k THB or equivalent in any bank acct is ok for Penang non-o for visiting family. Just the summary page showing your name, acct #, and ending balance amount is fine.

And i've only needed the front of thai national id card (not the back).

Not sure why people want to cut it so close with int'l flight times. Up to you i guess. It CAN be done.

For those asking, bank statement >100k THB or equivalent in any bank acct is ok for Penang non-o for visiting family. Just the summary page showing your name, acct #, and ending balance amount is fine.

And i've only needed the front of thai national id card (not the back).

Not sure why people want to cut it so close with int'l flight times. Up to you i guess. It CAN be done.

There are limited flight options from Penang. For those who want an inexpensive direct flight to Bangkok, that 16:45 flight is very tempting. You can fly later via KL for, usually, close to the same money (but gets to Bangkok very late) or stay an extra day. It is not surprising that some take a slight risk.

From what I've heard you need endure a load of bureaucracy and be available any time during a 3 month period to answer additional questions, including actual house visits, for that to happen, it might just be exaggerated stories, but I believe it does take some determination to achieve the extension, at least the first time.

And if you want to travel to visit family/friends you need to apply for re-entry permit.

There is no 3 months. You get a 30 day under consideration period form the date you apply or from the date your permit to stay ends dependent upon the office where you apply. House visits are only done for the first application and not all offices do them now.

Most misinformation about getting them comes from people that have never got one and are just spreading rumors.

I can say that they are not that hard to do after getting 8 of them. Much better than having your life tied to leaving the country every 90 days.

Getting a re-entry permit is not a problem. A single costs 1000 baht or a multiple 3800 baht.

Also the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months is not the only option. You can also get one if you can prove 40k baht of income.

• Like 1

400,000฿ in a Thai bank account or an income or equivalent income to 40,000฿ a month.

There have been several reports Penang will do a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage if you have 100k baht in the bank or more or proof of an income.

• Like 1

I would have saved 22k and just went to immigration.

As much as most would likely prefer, it doesn't appear to be a suitable option for everyone as has been earlier mentioned, particularly those of us working offshore on regular rotations such as 1 month on/off or 8 week on 4 off

Good report indeed, last time I contacted an agent in Penang they said I needed 800k in a Bank account, when I replied that is normally only for a Retirement (over 50) one they replied, Yes also needed for Marriage.

Good that we now have a report that only +100k is needed.

Thanks

• Like 1

I would have saved 22k and just went to immigration.

There is no 3 months. You get a 30 day under consideration period form the date you apply or from the date your permit to stay ends dependent upon the office where you apply. House visits are only done for the first application and not all offices do them now.

Most misinformation about getting them comes from people that have never got one and are just spreading rumors.

I can say that they are not that hard to do after getting 8 of them. Much better than having your life tied to leaving the country every 90 days.

Getting a re-entry permit is not a problem. A single costs 1000 baht or a multiple 3800 baht.

Also the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months is not the only option. You can also get one if you can prove 40k baht of income.

Had a friend do the 1 year extension for marriage, even after convincing him to get multiple non-o from USA, Penang, or Savannakhet. He did it with all the paperwork (and even overstayed a few days to make sure it went through) and i was proud of him. Time to renew and the 400k arrived in his acct about 8 days too late for 60 day seasoning. His options were to either overstay to season the money properly, go to embassy in bangkok ang get 40k baht affidavit for 1600 baht + travel expenses, or try the multiple non-o in Penang.

Multiple Non-o in penang it was, about 10 days after i did mine. He'll probably return to the 1 year extension after a couple of border hops, or he might max out 12-15 months first...he has time now to make moves.

Now if the option to pay like 20-25k baht for 15 months one time, in-country, and a turnaround of 3-7 days was on the table, i would take that in a heartbeat. (3 month non-o + 12 month extension + multiple re-entry permit)

Not sure if that was only for retirement reason or if visiting family could be used. I can understand why some retirees would want to do it that way with a lawyer/agent, at least the first time around.

Actually i can see the charm in online/mail/visit reporting vs border run every 90 days, especially for the older crowd. If someone drove 60-100KM to their nearest office only to be told some extra (unlisted) paperwork was required, i could also understand the frustration. I agree with ubonjoe that most 1 year extension reports are exaggerated.

Edited by 4evermaat

He had another option which was to get a 60 day extension to visit his wife and then do the one year extension during the last 30 days of it.

I did bring this up. I don't know if he already used the 60 day extension before, or it would have thrown off the 60 days seasoning. If he got approved for the 60 day extension, could he have just waited until his seasoning was complete and immediately apply for the 1 year extension? Or would he have to wait until 30 days from the new permission to stay extension to apply for the 1 year extension?

How many times can you apply for the 60 day extension for visiting family per entry? I always thought it was once per visa entry. Can a 1 year extension reset the ability to use the 60 day extension again for the same entry?

He had another option which was to get a 60 day extension to visit his wife and then do the one year extension during the last 30 days of it.

I did bring this up. I don't know if he already used the 60 day extension before, or it would have thrown off the 60 days seasoning. If he got approved for the 60 day extension, could he have just waited until his seasoning was complete and immediately apply for the 1 year extension? Or would he have to wait until 30 days from the new permission to stay extension to apply for the 1 year extension?

How many times can you apply for the 60 day extension for visiting family per entry? I always thought it was once per visa entry. Can a 1 year extension reset the ability to use the 60 day extension again for the same entry?

It would no change the 2 months seasoning when he got the extension it would of just been in there longer than needed when he applied again. It would be during the last 30 days unless the office waived it. Immigration could reduce the 60 days if asked to do it.

The rules say one per entry. When doing one year extensions only one 60 day extension could be done for the entry that is being extended for the life of that entry..

• Like 1