Awesome Australian expat cleans up Pattaya beach after everyone

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia he would have got the merit medal of good citizenship from the mayor by now,

here in Thailand, he's viewed as a garbage foregoer and an oddball, I wonder how come

the other garbage collectors of Pattaya didn't have it with him yes for taking their garbage

away from them...

I'm waiting for the next news story where it is announced that he was deported for working without a work permit.

A post has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Some one does something worthwhile. Doesn't take long for the idiots on here to put him down. Maybe if a few of you got off you fat backsides and did a bit, then we farrangs might be thought of in a different light. Why criticise for the sake of criticisong. A sorry state some of you.

Crackers !

When I go to any beach I always take all my rubbish home with me or dump it in a bin.

With wombles like this one knocking-about, the habits of the locals and the council provided facilities will never improve.

You ever hear of learning by example? Do you think the habits of locals would ever change otherwise? People like you would find a negative in any good deed.

Its called cynicism. And IMHO its a fairly legitimate response to some of the news reports here and further afield in the kingdom.

Crackers !

When I go to any beach I always take all my rubbish home with me or dump it in a bin.

With wombles like this one knocking-about, the habits of the locals and the council provided facilities will never improve.

You ever hear of learning by example? Do you think the habits of locals would ever change otherwise? People like you would find a negative in any good deed.

I believe the correct addage though is...........LEADING BY EXAMPLE.

Good onya mate.

Why would he need a work permit if he is not being paid.....?

He is performing a charitable act........can't be anything awry there

If it upsets the authorities then perhaps it's time for Thais to be employed to take over from this "Well meaning Aussie"

Good on you Mate

Edited by DD13

If it upsets the authorities then perhaps it's time for Thais to be employed to take over from this "Well meaning Aussie"

Good on you Mate

You could ask the same question why the international rescue crews were not allowed to work during the Tsunami in Phuket because they didn't have a work permit.

Good on you Mate

You could ask the same question why the international rescue crews were not allowed to work during the Tsunami in Phuket because they didn't have a work permit.

Dont think you can compare the two.

Just not the same. wai2.gif

Good on you Mate

Dont think you can compare the two.

Just not the same. wai2.gif

So you consider it normal that rescue crews are not allowed to help victims in what is considered the deadliest natural disaster in human history, because they have no work permit?

We meet Australian Garbage Collector praised by Pattaya on-line community

clean-3.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA:-- On Saturday we met with the Australian Garbage Collector who has been keeping Pattaya social media channels busy recently after he was pictured collecting refuse on Wongamat Beach in North Pattaya.

Mr. Mark Blackburn is a 41-year-old Senior Manager at a Car Manufacturing Company based at the Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate in Rayong Province, and lives in a Condominium on Wongamat Beach. We met with him there and from the start of our conversation we realized he was a decent member of the ex-pat community who was trying to contribute by helping to keep the beaches clean.

Mr. Blackburn has been clearing the beaches for the last 7 months and after working a regular 9 to 5 job through the week, he spends 2 to 3 hours on Saturdays and Sundays clearing refuse from Wongamat Beach and sometimes he will travel to one of the Pattaya Islands and continues collecting refuse there.

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-11-29

I think that you will find that a work permit is required only ..... if you are being employed (by others) for remuneration

And from reading Pattaya News interview with him.......he is an intelligent guy....who would know the laws

And by the way."..he will already have a WP

I have already brought this story to my wifes attention,suggesting she should make her Thai colleagues aware of Marks good deeds....

Hopefully they will do the same with their friends and contacts.......

Then maybe this could be the start of "responsibility" among "Litter Louts"........

I wonder if the authorities at the council read TV .........more litter bins and signs wouldn't go amiss

I think that you will find that a work permit is required only ..... if you are being employed (by others) for remuneration

And from reading Pattaya News interview with him.......he is an intelligent guy....who would know the laws

You want to bet. I don't think so. http://www.thaivisa.com/462-0.html

this is a great story, and i wish i did the same. hopefully he inspires others...

normally i would make a joke as well.....but my gut feeling says this is not the time, nor the place, for a joke

so good on him..

coffee1.gif

don't hold back.....we as a race enjoy having the piss taken.

I doubt he will have a work permit specific for collecting littering or charity work, and as you know a work permit needs to specify the purpose and the work location.

http://www.thaivisa....t-work-permits/

Tsunami volunteers warned: get work permits

PHUKET: Foreign volunteers assisting in tsunami-related charity work are required to hold work permits, regardless of whether they are being paid for their efforts or not.

Sayan Chuaiyjan, head of the Phuket Provincial Employment Service Office [ESO], told the Gazette yesterday that there could be no exceptions and that his office would begin to enforce the regulations soon – possibly in March.

There can be no exceptions. Work is work, even if it is for charity,” he said.

<snip>

If our officers, police officers or immigration police learn [of foreign volunteers] who don’t have work permits, the maximum penalty is three years in jail, a 30,000 baht fine [or both],” he warned.

Edited by TheCruncher

Good on you Mate

I know what has been written is a little off topic but one can not let it go when some one posts utter rubbish. So you're teling us that the Australian Federal Poice victim's identification team and the medical teams who came and assisted in Phuket weren't allowed to work because they didn't have a work permit. Where do you people get such rot. Oh, by the way, they didn't work during, they worked following the devastation.

I'd say to this guy, well done, we need more like you rather than some of the other gems we see dished up here in Thailand. Maybe he should take a leaf out of Ian Kiernan's book, the man who started Clean Up Australia. Teach the Thais about recycling and not dumping their trash when and wherever.

Good on you Mate

I know what has been written is a little off topic but one can not let it go when some one posts utter rubbish. So you're teling us that the Australian Federal Poice victim's identification team and the medical teams who came and assisted in Phuket weren't allowed to work because they didn't have a work permit. Where do you people get such rot. Oh, by the way, they didn't work during, they worked following the devastation.

I'd say to this guy, well done, we need more like you rather than some of the other gems we see dished up here in Thailand. Maybe he should take a leaf out of Ian Kiernan's book, the man who started Clean Up Australia. Teach the Thais about recycling and not dumping their trash when and wherever.

Take a look at the post above yours.

It aren't my words as I'm not Sayan Chuaiyjan, head of the Phuket Provincial Employment Service Office [ESO]

You want to bet. I don't think so. http://www.thaivisa.com/462-0.html

That doesn't apply. He doesn't work for an organization and he is not engaged in self-employment, so he doesn't need a work permit to clean the beach. It can be analogized to engaging in a hobby that does not produce income. If you restore cars as a hobby, not for profit, you wouldn't need a work permit.

Great on this guy for giving back to the country! Bad on the TV crowd who find fault in everything that happens in Thailand. You people really need to get a gut check and come back back to the real world.

Nobody is condemning this guy for the good work he's doing, only pointing out what he may expose himself to, in this country run by hypocrites.

Great on this guy for giving back to the country! Bad on the TV crowd who find fault in everything that happens in Thailand. You people really need to get a gut check and come back back to the real world.

Nobody is condemning this guy for the good work he's doing, only pointing out what he may expose himself to, in this country run by hypocrites.

Cruncher if I may....common sense anywhere in the world would tell you that "a work permit" is not required. Not even here in this crazy country would it be required. Its only required in the world of some TV conspiracy theory members who do nothing but pick and critic on every post that is uploaded here. These guys have not commented on the guy's good deeds but, on the "work permit" which in their own small minds think he should have.

Cruncher if I may....common sense anywhere in the world would tell you that "a work permit" is not required. Not even here in this crazy country would it be required. Its only required in the world of some TV conspiracy theory members who do nothing but pick and critic on every post that is uploaded here. These guys have not commented on the guy's good deeds but, on the "work permit" which in their own small minds think he should have.

So you consider Sunbelt legal advisers and Sayan Chuaiyjan, head of the Phuket Provincial Employment Service Office [ESO] to be small minded tv conspiracy members?

Common sense in Thailand??????????

Edited by TheCruncher

So you consider Sunbelt legal advisers and Sayan Chuaiyjan, head of the Phuket Provincial Employment Service Office [ESO] to be small minded tv conspiracy members?

Yes. We all know how regionalized organization are in Thailand. They are in Phuket, this guy is in Pattaya.

Yes. We all know how regionalized organization are in Thailand. They are in Phuket, this guy is in Pattaya.

Thanks for pointing out that Pattaya is not in Thailand, don't understand how I could miss that one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/462-0.html

Foreign volunteer workers need to have valid Visas and Work Permits even if they are not paid for the work they are doing in Thailand.