Taking My Dog Out Of Thailand

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

I will be moving on to India next month and it looks as if I will have to take my dog with me. I was prepared to leave her behind with caring 'foster parents' but I have not been able to find anyone that I could confidently be happy with. I have had some interest but it seems quite acceptable here to let dogs roam freely. She needs the freedom of a secure fenced garden, she isn't at all streetwise and I know she wouldn't last 5 minutes.

So, how do I go about flying her out? Could anyone direct me to where I can get some information regarding innoculations, medical checks etc.

Also, how does a dog cope with a flight. I am sure it will be a very traumatic and terrifying experience.

Thank you!

I sent a small dog to Manila and it was far easier than I expected. I cannot answer for India, but this is the procedure I went through.

1). Ensure the dog is fully vaccinated as Thailand is regarded as a Rabies infected country.

2). Obtain an import licence from Govt dept in Manila

3). Take the dog and all documentation to the "animal/livestock" office at the airport here in BKK.

4) The dog will be examined by a vet if things are all in order they will issue a export permit.

5).Take all the documentation to your airline and they will arrange to put the dog in the cargo hold on the same flight as you.

Its hard to give more advice because I dont know the size of your dog. I do know that a friend of mine brought his Shi-Tzu from Manila to BKK using TG and the dog was allowed in the cabin with him.

If your dog has to go in the hold it will have to be in a open proof cage/container and can be accepted as excess check in baggage. make sure it has water and I suggest a old T shirt of yours with it, this so as the dog can still smell you and not get too distraught.

With live animals they are usually kept in a Air conned holding room prior to loading and are usually last on and first off.

Hope this helps

I sent a small dog to Manila and it was far easier than I expected. I cannot answer for India, but this is the procedure I went through.

1). Ensure the dog is fully vaccinated as Thailand is regarded as a Rabies infected country.

2). Obtain an import licence from Govt dept in Manila

3). Take the dog and all documentation to the "animal/livestock" office at the airport here in BKK.

4) The dog will be examined by a vet if things are all in order they will issue a export permit.

5).Take all the documentation to your airline and they will arrange to put the dog in the cargo hold on the same flight as you.

Its hard to give more advice because I dont know the size of your dog. I do know that a friend of mine brought his Shi-Tzu from Manila to BKK using TG and the dog was allowed in the cabin with him.

If your dog has to go in the hold it will have to be in a open proof cage/container and can be accepted as excess check in baggage. make sure it has water and I suggest a old T shirt of yours with it, this so as the dog can still smell you and not get too distraught.

With live animals they are usually kept in a Air conned holding room prior to loading and are usually last on and first off.

Hope this helps

Thanks, thats been a big help. I've checked things out and there doesn't seem to be any problem.

We flew our Lab from Alaska and he handled the flight very well. I did quite a bit of research on the subject prior to flying him and one thing that most vets and other people suggested is that you don't medicate the animal. Also get your dog used to its carrier a few weeks before you fly. Locking it in for a few hours everyday will help them become accustomed to it and help them with the stress of flying.

Good luck