Why is Samui so dangerous, and why is nothing being done about it?

Because of the dangerous roads here after 10 years we are seriously thinking of returning to the uk,we do not feel safe driving at all,every day we go out there is always a near miss with a bike or minivan coming at you on the wrong side of the road!i have lived in Phuket before and it is nothing like as dangerous as it is here,there is just no police anywhere!will I miss samui?NO!

I thought I would miss Samui a lot, I don't miss it at all. Never. It is strange. After spending 10 years in a place that I loved, to leave it, and not miss it. I love living on the mainland. Towards the end, I had so many Samui related frustration.

1. Overpricing.

2. traffic.

3. lack of law enforcement.

4. local mafia goombahs.

5. horrific policing.

6. bad roads.

7. drunk drivers.

8. so many near misses on the road, by such aggressive drivers, who are in such a hurry to die.

9. kids driving motorbikes without any skill.

10. locals restauranteurs raising their prices, without even the slightest consideration of raising their service levels, improving their facilities, or improving their food.

11. locals with jaded attitudes, who insisted on wringing every last baht out of me, without any concern about future patronage.

12. overdevelopment, without any planning, traffic mitigation concerns, or vision toward the future.

13. poor facilities.

14. relatively poor infrastructure, electric and water problems, etc.

15. very fouled water offshore, that nobody seem to have any interest in addressing.

16. bangkok air monopoly, and resulting high airfares to get on or off the island.

17. the incredible lack of progress, on every level.

18. the lack of a progressive attitude amongst the locals and the officials.

19. the lack of a good bakery (the french bakery does not count. please. boring and ultra traditional).

20. the fact that most items are overpriced, due to the high costs of getting it to the island (300 baht for a truckload of goods!)

21. the relative remoteness of the island. difficulty getting on or off the island, the the challenges involved in traveling anywhere as a result of that. the remoteness used to be charming, when the island was quiet and peaceful. now, it just feels like a burden.

22. the relatively low quality of tourists the island attracts.

23. the enormous lack of pride in the island, on the part of the local population.

24. the horrifically bad and incompetent local government and mayor.

25. the dust, and grime.

26. the fact that the island is starting to feel like a used up dishrag, that nobody cares about.

27. overpriced services, and the attitude that they are offering a four or five star product, even though it was one or two star service.

I could literally go on and on, and on. Needless to say, leaving was the right decision, and one myself, and my Thai wife are thrilled with.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the main reasons for rating as the world's no 1 place for motorbike accidents, is that for some utterly inconceivable reason, motorbikes and scooters are hired on only passport details. and not driving licences. None are asked for. The rider might be a total novice, having never ridden one before, but believes that he or she must be able to ride O.K. !! Add some alcohol to the mix, and other faster riders overtaking and rushing past, and there are the ingredients for a accident, fatal or otherwise. At least start addressing the problem by insisting that renters MUST have a valid licence for what they are hiring!

So what about the 75% of Thais who drive without licences including 10,yr old kids, sometimes 4 on a motorbike. To start with, everyone who wants to drive should be made to get a driving licence. And the lazy police should be forced out of their offices to "Police" the traffic. Without these two conditions, it will only get worse.

It's all about resources.

Samui officially has only 50.000 citizens.

We all know that there are 200.000 living on the Island, most have their housebook on the mainland.

Add all the tourists to that.

Still Samui only get resources from the provincial government for 50.000 people. sad.png

I think the lack of census, over development, and the fact that mafia control is strong there. Similar mafia situation in Koh Tao, explains why so little changes are made. This article explains the power dynamic a bit more.

http://mikeestravels.com/2014/09/25/the-dark-side-of-thailands-island-paradise/

I think Koh Tao hasnt suffered as much because it is more of a diving/snorkeling hub and backpacker-friendly than a place for expats or tourist to stay long term.

What real advantage do you have in Samui vs Phuket, if the traffic situation for a car is similar?

Samui is the accident capital of the two and Koh Tao is the murder capital. the reason has already been mentioned !

One of the main reasons for rating as the world's no 1 place for motorbike accidents, is that for some utterly inconceivable reason, motorbikes and scooters are hired on only passport details. and not driving licences. None are asked for. The rider might be a total novice, having never ridden one before, but believes that he or she must be able to ride O.K. !! Add some alcohol to the mix, and other faster riders overtaking and rushing past, and there are the ingredients for a accident, fatal or otherwise. At least start addressing the problem by insisting that renters MUST have a valid licence for what they are hiring!

Get real Doc, visitors are down but m/cy accidents going up. Have'nt you seen these young Thai guys flying around at night at 'warp' speed many without lights. rolleyes.gif

Agree.

The motorcycle lessors are lazy here.

They rent their bikes out for 150- 250 (scooter) a day,

Why they do not sell one hour driving lessons or more for foreigners, who have never driven a motorcycle before?

Show them how to use the brake, front and back.

Show them to drive slow.

Show them where the direction indicator is, and how to bring it back into neutrale position.

That would be a win - win situation.

Foreigners do not lost there lifes, and the thai lessors can charge 150 Baht more.

That would include an hour drive and braking exercises.

I would appreciate that you could thereby save around 100 - 200 lives per year on Koh Samui.

A Thai selling driving lessons ! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ................Now this end with the horns is the front ! Stand away from the back as it can get dirty rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Because of the dangerous roads here after 10 years we are seriously thinking of returning to the uk,we do not feel safe driving at all,every day we go out there is always a near miss with a bike or minivan coming at you on the wrong side of the road!i have lived in Phuket before and it is nothing like as dangerous as it is here,there is just no police anywhere!will I miss samui?NO!

Well move to Phuket then if you are so terrified !

You could not pay me enough to visit there or live there. I consider it the most dangerous place in Thailand to drive and overall the second most dangerous place in Thailand to live. Please someone explain why Samui or Surat Province for that matter is so wonderful. if the police ever did their job they would be rich beyond belief. Guess they have not figured that out yet. The island prison is not big enough for all the criminals both Thai and foreign living there.

Foreign moron comes to mind.

in most islands the islanders seem to think the roads belong to them and bored they are they find driving fast a release from frustration.

I used to drive in Samui and once I got caught nearly deadly I decided 10 years ago to stop and to reduce my times spent on Samui never knowing if it was paradise or hell.

I avoid koh Tao at all costs as well as Koh Phang Ghan......

Up to the individual to decide his tolerance level limits.

Yes it is a dangerous Island and now with box jelly fishes added to dangerous driving, jetskis madness and power boat stupidity totally irresponsible all limiting the enjoyment to its minimum.....

Why do we rarely meet up with Thai Bangkokian in Samui they must know something not disclosed to tourists......

The absolute majority on Samui roads are not islanders. Box jelly fishes were always there. Don't like jet skies ether, but compared to other places it's harmless. Yes the traffic is horrible. Now there are so many cars here like never before. Wonder why so many, mostly western and middle eastern, tourists drive their rented bikes like the devil is after them. Because they are young and on holidays. It could be, that Samui is the beach destination with most young, international tourists in Thailand, maybe in all of SEA?

<deleted>!

So what about the 75% of Thais who drive without licences including 10,yr old kids, sometimes 4 on a motorbike. To start with, everyone who wants to drive should be made to get a driving licence. And the lazy police should be forced out of their offices to "Police" the traffic. Without these two conditions, it will only get worse.

Well, anyone who is familiar with the requirements to obtain a Thai driving license would know that it's not sufficient. Has little to do with the reality on the roads, especially in places like Samui.

Without an ambition to fundamentally get to the bottom of the problem, we will never see any improvement.

I thought I would miss Samui a lot, I don't miss it at all. Never. It is strange. After spending 10 years in a place that I loved, to leave it, and not miss it. I love living on the mainland. Towards the end, I had so many Samui related frustration.

1. Overpricing.

2. traffic.

4. local mafia goombahs.

5. horrific policing.

6. bad roads.

7. drunk drivers.

8. so many near misses on the road, by such aggressive drivers, who are in such a hurry to die.

10. locals restauranteurs raising their prices, without even the slightest consideration of raising their service levels, improving their facilities, or improving their food.

11. locals with jaded attitudes, who insisted on wringing every last baht out of me, without any concern about future patronage.

12. overdevelopment, without any planning, traffic mitigation concerns, or vision toward the future.

13. poor facilities.

15. very fouled water offshore, that nobody seem to have any interest in addressing.

16. bangkok air monopoly, and resulting high airfares to get on or off the island.

19. the lack of a good bakery (the french bakery does not count. please. boring and ultra traditional).

20. the fact that most items are overpriced, due to the high costs of getting it to the island (300 baht for a truckload of goods!)

21. the relative remoteness of the island. difficulty getting on or off the island, the the challenges involved in traveling anywhere as a result of that. the remoteness used to be charming, when the island was quiet and peaceful. now, it just feels like a burden.

23. the enormous lack of pride in the island, on the part of the local population.

25. the dust, and grime.

26. the fact that the island is starting to feel like a used up dishrag, that nobody cares about.

27. overpriced services, and the attitude that they are offering a four or five star product, even though it was one or two star service.

I could literally go on and on, and on. Needless to say, leaving was the right decision, and one myself, and my Thai wife are thrilled with.

-happy-as-a-pig-in-shit-sign-146-p.jpg

Have you whipped the Mayor, Immigration, Plod, Ampur etc in Hua Hin into shape yet? If not please hurry up and get started as your message is becoming somewhat monotonous to the resident community on the island you serially despise.

Edited by evadgib

1. Overpricing.

2. traffic.

4. local mafia goombahs.

5. horrific policing.

6. bad roads.

7. drunk drivers.

13. poor facilities.

25. the dust, and grime.

-happy-as-a-pig-in-shit-sign-146-p.jpg

Have you whipped the Mayor, Immigration, Plod, Ampur etc in Hua Hin into shape yet? If not please hurry up and get started as your message is becoming somewhat monotonous to the resident community on the island you serially despise.

I regret to inform you that those guys cannot be reformed. It is what it is. Hence the need to vent on these forums.

So this seems to be coming a monthly Whine coffee1.gif .... is life that boring in your new chosen location that you need to keep coming back to bitch along with a few others about how bad they perceive Samui life is, obviously some people need to get a life....saai.gif

This should say WHINE! crazy.gif

7%252520d_-4.jpg

Farangs have a few motivations:

1. on vacation, i don't care, i'm leaving soon

2. i'm with bar girl, would like to keep to myself and anonymous

3. i'm retired, got a good thing, can't rock the boat

4. i'm drunk

5. someone else will do it

6. back home, i wasn't an activist, why now?

7. i don't understand Thai

and the list goes on and on and on...

pay for me to fly there and hook me up for a year....i'll do something...

coffee1.gif

Because the locals, highly uneducated and of poor intelligence refuse to follow the law ever since...and are somehow getting away with it.

Phuket might be a little better, but how about some constructive, and helpful advice? I consider the mainland safer. Even though the police are still very weak, at least they are a little bit present, and take things like not wearing a helmet, and kids the age of 10 driving a scooter seriously. Plus, you have the pride factor. Once you leave Surat Province, there is more pride in the quality of life, the lives of the people, the land, the roads, etc. For some reason, pride is lacking in Surat Province. I agree with motocrosser, Samui is terrifying to drive on. I have driven a motorbike or motorcycle for over 40 years, and I have come to the conclusion that on Samui it is not about your level of skill. Certainly skill helps. But, it is more about the other drivers, their level of aggression, their lack of patience, their lack of wisdom, their refusal to wait three seconds until we pass, for them to enter the road, and have a completely clear path, the habit of large trucks to pretend you are not there, if you are on a motorbike, and the ridiculous kids, who have no idea what the cost of life and limb is, and drive like they prefer to die sooner, rather than later. Add into the mix the jungle safari drivers, who have murderous tendencies with their driving, and it is a volatile mix. To call it otherwise, is to live in denial.

Because the locals, highly uneducated and of poor intelligence refuse to follow the law ever since...and are somehow getting away with it.

What laws are you referring to? There are no laws on Samui. That has always been the case. They do not call it the wild west of Thailand for nothing. Without police work, there are no laws. Throw in the complete and utter apathy of the central government toward Samui, and you have even less laws.

In Thailand life is cheap and enforcing laws means doing something. Its a bad combination. Combine that with reckless driving and copious amounts of alcohol and it all adds up to carnage. It sums up Thailand in general, not just Samui.

possibly 10,000 baht per month police salary is a reason......too busy collecting tea money,and the attitude"if there's nothing in it for me" goes hand in hand.

Farangs have a few motivations:

1. on vacation, i don't care, i'm leaving soon

2. i'm with bar girl, would like to keep to myself and anonymous

3. i'm retired, got a good thing, can't rock the boat

4. i'm drunk

5. someone else will do it

6. back home, i wasn't an activist, why now?

7. i don't understand Thai

and the list goes on and on and on...

pay for me to fly there and hook me up for a year....i'll do something...

coffee1.gif

westerners living here do so because the thai authorities allow us to (visa status applicable)..."we have no political muscle.the authorities if they want to can easily rescind a visa,so what we do is keep a low profile,watch our P'S and Q's and be damn careful when out in the traffic.Time and unforeseen occurrences happen.This is how thailand is,the authorities just dont care,and they care less about their own people unless they have wads of cash.

Phuket might be a little better, but how about some constructive, and helpful advice? I consider the mainland safer. Even though the police are still very weak, at least they are a little bit present, and take things like not wearing a helmet, and kids the age of 10 driving a scooter seriously. Plus, you have the pride factor. Once you leave Surat Province, there is more pride in the quality of life, the lives of the people, the land, the roads, etc. For some reason, pride is lacking in Surat Province. I agree with motocrosser, Samui is terrifying to drive on. I have driven a motorbike or motorcycle for over 40 years, and I have come to the conclusion that on Samui it is not about your level of skill. Certainly skill helps. But, it is more about the other drivers, their level of aggression, their lack of patience, their lack of wisdom, their refusal to wait three seconds until we pass, for them to enter the road, and have a completely clear path, the habit of large trucks to pretend you are not there, if you are on a motorbike, and the ridiculous kids, who have no idea what the cost of life and limb is, and drive like they prefer to die sooner, rather than later. Add into the mix the jungle safari drivers, who have murderous tendencies with their driving, and it is a volatile mix. To call it otherwise, is to live in denial.

Earlier this year I was invited to stay with friend in Krabi, and so for the first time in over a decade I took my car off the island. It was a real eye-opener.

I was impressed by the good road sense and courtesy that was displayed by 99,9% of the drivers I was with. I hardly saw any tailgating - everyone kept sensible gaps before signalling, then overtaking. The vehicles that going fast did so with expertise and safe margins. Everybody seemed relaxed and patient. Nobody was up-tight or in a flap. Nobody barged in or out of line, but signaled their intentions and moved smoothly when it was clear. Even the dreaded mini-buses were driving with (speedy!) consideration. Several times I even saw drivers slowing to let side-traffic into their line. Sounds kind of naive, but I was almost uplifted by the level of awareness and courtesy that was everywhere all around me. Made me feel good to be a part of it.

It was the same heading back up northwards on my return. But as I got closer to Surat Thani everything seemed to change. Drivers became more aggressive, throwing themselves around at excessive speed and making sudden maneuvers without signals. Three times I got overtaken, just so the drivers could get themselves in front of me and slow down again - they couldn't bear the idea of having an old car in front of them. Cars were speeding up to stay in front if I went to overtake them, for the same reason. For well over an hour it became a battle to survive, constantly tense, constantly driving on my mirrors and looking out for irrational and unpredictable behavior. Every driver who was like this was Thai and male - I was watching carefully. Not one female was driving like this. I'm positive that in this particular region of Thailand at least, driving like this is a male thing. It's done to gain face and assert a perceived sense of masculinity and superiority.

I arrived back on Samui after dark and it was suddenly like driving down a rough country lane, after the mainland. Street lighting was dreadful, with big stretches of the main ring-road either totally unlit, or with lights just on one side, or with lights that were inadequate. There were potholes and lumps all over the road. In these appalling conditions several cars and motorbikes came at me with no lights on, in the dark. There was a steady line of traffic moving towards Nathon and on to Chaweng but, in just 20 minutes, there was one car after another sitting right on my bumper, and at least a dozen cars and trucks were frantic to burst through on the outside (and one of them even on the inside), barging other drivers out of their way when they had to force themselves back into line again, and with motorbikes weaving in and out of all of this at high speed, driving on the wrong side of the road as well as overtaking inside and outside in both directions, Utter, total insanity.

And it all seems to be centred on this island, and around Surat Thani. The whole thing is really very scary. And that's not even counting all the tourists who are flapping about in a panic in the middle of all of this.

R

Edited by robsamui

On the 5th August, the Samui Chief of Police, Pol Col Paithoon Krajajang, in an interview to a Thai newspaper that is not permitted to be quoted on Thai Visa, had this to say about Samui:

I can guarantee that we are working on this matter. BUT THIS IS A TOURIST TOWN. THERE ARE MANY EXEMPTIONS FROM THE LAW,

That explains the attitude of the police very neatly, I think.

R

Earlier this year I was invited to stay with friend in Krabi, and so for the first time in over a decade I took my car off the island. It was a real eye-opener.

I was impressed by the good road sense and courtesy that was displayed by 99,9% of the drivers I was with. I hardly saw any tailgating - everyone kept sensible gaps before signalling, then overtaking. The vehicles that going fast did so with expertise and safe margins. Everybody seemed relaxed and patient. Nobody was up-tight or in a flap. Nobody barged in or out of line, but signaled their intentions and moved smoothly when it was clear. Even the dreaded mini-buses were driving with (speedy!) consideration. Several times I even saw drivers slowing to let side-traffic into their line. Sounds kind of naive, but I was almost uplifted by the level of awareness and courtesy that was everywhere all around me. Made me feel good to be a part of it.

It was the same heading back up northwards on my return. But as I got closer to Surat Thani everything seemed to change. Drivers became more aggressive, throwing themselves around at excessive speed and making sudden maneuvers without signals. Three times I got overtaken, just so the drivers could get themselves in front of me and slow down again - they couldn't bear the idea of having an old car in front of them. Cars were speeding up to stay in front if I went to overtake them, for the same reason. For well over an hour it became a battle to survive, constantly tense, constantly driving on my mirrors and looking out for irrational and unpredictable behavior. Every driver who was like this was Thai and male - I was watching carefully. Not one female was driving like this. I'm positive that in this particular region of Thailand at least, driving like this is a male thing. It's done to gain face and assert a perceived sense of masculinity and superiority.

I arrived back on Samui after dark and it was suddenly like driving down a rough country lane, after the mainland. Street lighting was dreadful, with big stretches of the main ring-road either totally unlit, or with lights just on one side, or with lights that were inadequate. There were potholes and lumps all over the road. In these appalling conditions several cars and motorbikes came at me with no lights on, in the dark. There was a steady line of traffic moving towards Nathon and on to Chaweng but, in just 20 minutes, there was one car after another sitting right on my bumper, and at least a dozen cars and trucks were frantic to burst through on the outside (and one of them even on the inside), barging other drivers out of their way when they had to force themselves back into line again, and with motorbikes weaving in and out of all of this at high speed, driving on the wrong side of the road as well as overtaking inside and outside in both directions, Utter, total insanity.

And it all seems to be centred on this island, and around Surat Thani. The whole thing is really very scary. And that's not even counting all the tourists who are flapping about in a panic in the middle of all of this.

R

That has been exactly my experience too. Driving on the mainland is a lot more fun. And a lot safer, than Samui, or Surat Province. Be careful leaving Samui. It can become addictive. I used to love coming back, but not as much in the past two years, my last on the island.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This afternoon around 4pm @ Big C a car was nosing it's way out due to the difficulties of seeing left (parked veh) & right (hedge, sign). When a gap in the near lane allowed the car drove into the lane and, upon seeing a gap in the far lane proceeded towards Bophut....

Two bare chested male tourists on a chicken chaser in the tesco bound lane were a good 100m away at the start of the manouver yet proceeded to sound their horn for a full 10 seconds. Neither were wearing helmets & the driver is unlikely to have had a licence, furthermore they have probably only been in the Kingdom for as many days as the driver (ferang) has years.

If anyone recognizes themselves in the description above they should perhaps remind themselves of the hair trigger that applies among many of the locals as they are likely to get seriously hurt if they pull a stunt like that again.

Edited by evadgib

It boogles my mind that people say nothing is being done about improving Samui's roads... blink.png

Drive between Maenam and Nathon and see how much work is being done... slow progress granted, but at least something is being done ...and driving through some sections are slow going while the connect the drainage system across the road in the Ban Tai / Ban Por area... but when done, it will be greatly improved .... thumbsup.gif

my opinion is 90% of the time you only get into as much trouble as you allow to happen,driving on sandy roads without at least a helmet, staying in bars past midnight where everyone is drunk,walking around lonely areas alone at night wearing a nice big golden chain,flirting with lady boys because its fun and then thinking you can just say bye bye ( happened to a good friend of mine,they followed his taxi to the bungalow and kicked his door in wanting money).

On the 5th August, the Samui Chief of Police, Pol Col Paithoon Krajajang, in an interview to a Thai newspaper that is not permitted to be quoted on Thai Visa, had this to say about Samui:

I can guarantee that we are working on this matter. BUT THIS IS A TOURIST TOWN. THERE ARE MANY EXEMPTIONS FROM THE LAW,

That explains the attitude of the police very neatly, I think.

R

Probably the biggest exceptions are the receiving of bribes...

It boogles my mind that people say nothing is being done about improving Samui's roads... blink.png

Drive between Maenam and Nathon and see how much work is being done... slow progress granted, but at least something is being done ...and driving through some sections are slow going while the connect the drainage system across the road in the Ban Tai / Ban Por area... but when done, it will be greatly improved .... thumbsup.gif

The roads are better than many other places in the world, the issue is the people who use them.